Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Garden FULL of tall grass

• 06-05-2013 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice.

I have a back garden ( about 20m in length ), we dont really have any "normal" grass, just really tall grass that shoots up in no time and is a real pain to keep under control.

I have cut it down in the last few days ( strimmer & mower ) and it looks a lot better than before, however it is already starting to grow back.

Has anyone any options I could take, before I dig up the whole back yard ?

Ideally, we'd like some normal low growing grass and then a patch for some veg / plants.

Any advise appreciated. I can provide pics of what the grass looks like if thats any use.

Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

Saganist wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for some advice.

I have a back garden ( about 20m in length ), we dont really have any "normal" grass, just really tall grass that shoots up in no time and is a real pain to keep under control.

I have cut it down in the last few days ( strimmer & mower ) and it looks a lot better than before, however it is already starting to grow back.

Ideally, we'd like some normal low growing grass and then a patch for some veg / plants.

Any advise appreciated. I can provide pics of what the grass looks like if thats any use.

Thx.

How often do you cut the grass?

Try to cut it at least once a week and spray for weeds once or twice over the summer and it should look MRE like a lawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

phog wrote: »
    How often do you cut the grass?

Try to cut it at least once a week and spray for weeds once or twice over the summer and it should look MRE like a lawn

The last cut was the first this year and it was really wet.

Thanks for the advise, Im going to invest in some weed-killer today and try to cut it once or twice a week.

Hopefully it will look more like a garden in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

The last cut was the first this year and it was really wet.

Thanks for the advise, Im going to invest in some weed-killer today and try to cut it once or twice a week.

Hopefully it will look more like a garden in a few weeks time.

Some of the weed killers are weed and feed, it kills off broad leaf weeds and feeds the grass, it may increase the cutting frequency for you but you end up with a better/nicer lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

might be worth starting fresh rotivate and reseed
    a bit of work but if you get it right its worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice.

Thx.

No need to dig it up except to clear an area for growing veg. Regular cutting of the grass will keep everything under control and eventually the coarse cut stems will be replaced by softer younger shoots and a more normal looking lawn.

All that is required is some patience and TLC and no chemicals. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

don't use weed killer if your going to grow vegitables

think cancer

it lasts in the ground for years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

Sounds like normal grass, just cut it every 1-2 weeks, a bit a of weed feed and moss killer, job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

It really depends on what you want the lawn for? Utility, aesthetic, etc. These seed mix for these varies according to the intended usage.

Hard to give any opinion with a photo, maybe a full shot and a close up.

It may need resetting, or just scarifying.

Lawns are high maintenance. Those lovely manicured ones that you see in some public spaces are mowed every three days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Im going to endeavor to cut it every few days ( twice a week ) and try to get some of the weeds out of it too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I'll upload a photo when I get it looking half decent.

Advertisement