Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voip phone

• 06-05-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direction here, I have upc bb and home phone, I also have a business phone number with goldfish which is currently diverted to a mobile, I would like to have a seperate phone for the business number can anyone recommend what type of voip phone I would need and how does this connect with the upc modem or do I need another modem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The VOIP part is done by the modem, from your phones point of view its just a regular line. Pick whatever phone you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

ED E wrote: »
    The VOIP part is done by the modem, from your phones point of view its just a regular line. Pick whatever phone you want.

Thanks for the reply, am I right in thinking that the voip phone plugs into one of the earthnet connections on the upc modem ?

No, it connects to one of the phone ports on the modem....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

ED E wrote: »
    No, it connects to one of the phone ports on the modem....

I think the op is asking about using a second non upc voip line and how to set that up. If that is the case then they need either a hardware device (an ATA or a hardware voip phone) or a softphone solution such as a xten on his pc or a sip phone app on his smart phone.

If the upc router is beside where you want the phone a hardware voip phone would plug into one of the ethernet Ports of the router as the best solution.

If the router is not next to where you want the phone, then an ATA (analog telephone adapter) would work well, where the ATA plugs into the ethernet port of the router and then you can plug a bog standard analog phone such as a dect phone into that, making it portable etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

So the voip phone plugs into the earthnet port in the upc modem and then iI have to configure it and were good to go, the upc phone is plugged into the same modem via a standard phone plug and I guess this works away as normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

sohappy wrote: »
    So the voip phone plugs into the earthnet port in the upc modem and then iI have to configure it and were good to go, the upc phone is plugged into the same modem via a standard phone plug and I guess this works away as normal

Yep,

Sounds about right. The ATA might work better for you as you can plug a wireless dect phone into it then, a bit more flexible.

If you have a smartphone might be worth trying out a sip ap like sipphone or something like that as that might suit you either depending on usage, but it also means that you will have access to your business line while out and about.

Oh, I was under the impression that the OP wanted two UPC phone lines(which are VOIP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Advertisement