Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5amp socket and wiring

Options
  • 06-05-2013 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

Quick question. Newish build (3yrs approx). I have a 5amp socket connected to a switch on the wall. The problem is, when I flick the switch to power the socket, the ceiling lights also come on! I've contacted the spark who wired the house and he informs me that it's just the wiring behind the wall switch that needs adjusting. He's been slow - very slow - in addressing the issue which leads me to believe that there's more of an issue than a 10 minute rewiring job - as he suggests. Is this the case or am I looking at some bigger like pulling plaster down and a total rewiring job.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

He may be correct, it depends on the way he has wired it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hi,

Quick question. Newish build (3yrs approx). I have a 5amp socket connected to a switch on the wall. The problem is, when I flick the switch to power the socket, the ceiling lights also come on! I've contacted the spark who wired the house and he informs me that it's just the wiring behind the wall switch that needs adjusting. He's been slow - very slow - in addressing the issue which leads me to believe that there's more of an issue than a 10 minute rewiring job - as he suggests. Is this the case or am I looking at some bigger like pulling plaster down and a total rewiring job.

Are you sure it it's not just the way it was wired,personally I wouldn't wire it like that but there is actually nothing electrically wrong or unsafe by the sounds of it??!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I've no idea how it's wired. Like I say, he originally said it was a just matter of screwing out the switch and rewiring the wires to the correct switch. I guess a second opinion does no harm and from comments above it appears it could just be as simple as that. I'd hate to feel that his warranty expires or he goes bust or something like that and I’m left to foot another bill.

Cheers anyway....

The switch wire needs to be swapped to a permanent feed!somple job for any sparks and shouldn't cost much,provided its wired correctly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Ahhhh....good to hear.....thanks for the reply...

• Advertisement

Ahhhh....good to hear.....thanks for the reply...

No worries let us know how you get on!!

Advertisement