Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 06-05-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

It has come time for me to change my motor. Just some questions I had regarding the car I'm having a look at which is a 1.6 tdi Octavia.

1. Has anyone out there have one, in particular the s model or active grade? What do you think of them - any major complaints?

2. The car I'm looking at is at a registered SIMI dealer and it's an English registered car at the moment. Are there any particular questions I should ask or anything I should take note of (Is there higher insurance?) ?

3. Can I change the car's clock/speed reader from miles to kms? I have a friend who bought a passat recently and had no problem.

4. The car at the moment, as I already said has an English reg. The dealer told me that I would be the first owner, although the car was issued in Oct 11. Will I get one of those high reg cars that are about or can I select my car's plate?

All answers welcome. I am appreciative of all your help as I really don't know that much about cars!

Many thanks,

Mary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're serious about the car, then first thing would be to go see the car and drive it. then drive another one for more money and compare condition and the way it drives.

Get a cost to change figure

then try and get an idea of how much your trade in is worth, some users on here can give you a rough idea of what the trade price is

Then get an idea of how much an Octavia of the same year and condition can be got elsewhere.

Once you've done all that, you'll have an idea of whether you're getting a good deal or not, and by driving a few of the same car, you can tell a great one from an ok one.

then if all that adds up, do a history check like cartell.ie or motorcheck.ie to highlight anything like clocking (rife on newish diesels), insurance write off etc.

Then chase up the service history and make sure the servicing was done to vw spec. Don't be afraid of calling the uk garages to verify the servicing.

Re the speedo, I'd imagine the clocks read both miles and km.
    you'll be the first Irish owner on the car, but the previous number of uk owners is documented seperately on the Irish reg cert.
    the reg number thing is fixed now as far as I know, so no more ridiculous high numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mary.obrien

Hi Colm,

Many thanks for your feedback. The next step, as you said is to see the car which I will be doing this Wed. I have been talking to the dealer over the phone and I was given a price inc. trade in which seemed reasonable enough. If I could get these few questions sorted, I'd be sorted!

Cheers,

Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the general feeling out there is that while the 1.6 tdi is pretty much as powerful as the old 1.9 engine, its a lot more fragile and needs to be serviced on the button with the correct oil.
    If you get the impression that this hasn't been done, then walk.

If you want to stick up a link to the car in question, you'd never know someone here may spot something to look for on it.

Advertisement