Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we better or worse off, with the proliferation of video-cameras

• 06-05-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

2 recent incidents got me thinking about this . 1 - the 747 plane crash in afghanistan last week and 2- the sky media boss who was killed by a speedboat along with his young daughter yesterday. Both of these events caught on camera (cctv or video phone) and freely available on the internet. While the 747 accident footage may help crash investigators, and also the speedboat footage - the other side of the coin is that it's quite disturbing watching these videos and they may desensitize people towards death which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Edit - and how would people feel if you or a family members death was videoed and put up on the internet?

Thoughts slash opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Making this stuff freely available on the internet is disgusting.

I have no issue with CCTV, the average joe soap however flashing their phone in my face can fcuk right off. I'm sick of not being able to enjoy myself on a night out without some toolbag catching everything on their phone cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

*googles accidents*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Worse off!

Iv never seen a good "Celebity sex tape"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Its life Jim not as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Worse. You don't want to suffer my youtube habit..

oh; you already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It is abhorrent that people will idly stand by and use their phones to record these situations. It is so commonplace however nowadays that the younger generations will not think twice about it.

Although not about videoing incidents and uploading them, the following TED talk provides an insight into the amount of information that is available on a person online. Take KPMG girl for example and how that snowballed, that will always be online now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

It's worth it for the amount of caught doing adorable things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It does mean you film the parts of you're body you've never seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Pinewoo wrote: »
    Thoughts slash opinions?

It would be more productive to think while doing the slash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

for better or worse its happening,most people with a phone have a video camera

most security video cameras are crap but you can buy good ones,

google glass is example it can take a video of you and look you up on line,
    as could most shops banks,goverments etc,with face recognition,
    police in America don't like you filiming while they beat up suspects and sued many times,
    I saw a video of a car on fire and instead off stopping to help the people,they made a movie,

all of London has cameras but it does not stop crime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

all of London has cameras but it does not stop crime

cause the cops are sitting around eating doughnuts and watching them instead

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pinewoo wrote: »
    Both of these events caught on camera (cctv or video phone) and freely available on the internet.
    copyright exists for 70 years after the creators death Or 50 years after being shown on broadcast television.

Usually such clips are sold on and aren't "freely" available.

Also yer man in google wants quadcopters banned because they take photos, the same google that is busy photographing everything :mad:

So not only is there no privacy , it's also a corporate land grab.

BTW UK law means corporates can sell orphaned works. i.e. they can sell on pictures found on the internet where the owner can't be located after a "diligent" search.

And yes it's likely that like people had to complain to have free access to visit their relations graves in that place with the round tower, some will have to pay / complain to have access to perhaps the last sighting of a loved one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I remember when camera phones first came in i hated it and i feel the same about video on phones too. Far too intrusive and you don't have any control over what people do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have to say that it's overwhelmingly positive.
    When a major current events story such as a riot, protest or something like for example the Occupy movement in the US or the Arab Spring is happening, you can get raw footage easily on YouTube, so the established media has no opportunity to edit or try to spin what's really going on.

Raw footage is the way forward, without watered down, biased and PC editing from the corporate press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dave0301 wrote: »
    KPMG girl for example and how that snowballed, that will always online now

As right wing a this will sound, it might bring some manners in - dont act like a complete asshole in case someone puts it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If camera phones existed when JFK was shot we'd know exactly which Cuban lizard person the KBG hired via the mafia to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mmmm...profiteroles...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

I have heard about both incidents but i haven't seen videos from either. Not that I have made effort to avoid them.

It isn't hard to avoid watching footage you don't wish to see. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Imagine how bad it's going to get if and when those google glass things take off. Nobody is going to be safe no privacy whatsoever. This is what it's going to be like basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The guy filming is a dick
    In regards to videos cameras. Image 9/11. You could probability have a full 3D view of the towers if it happen now not just one guy catching the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

That guys a legend.

Advertisement