Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco alcohol policy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Use the check out machines. I have never got IDed at the machines. Even through I brought 6 bottles of wine once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It's company policy, I'm not going to risk my job over it.

I was just making a point, if a customer brings it up, ye're entitled to serve them or they can get the guards evolved.
    By company policy ye cant serve a mother or Father who happens to buy alcohol while shopping with there son/daughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I went tesco to buy me mate a few beers for his birthday a few weeks back and when I got to the till the girl (who grew up in the same estate as me) asked me for ID I just kind of laughed as I thought she was taking the piss but then she says seriously that she needs ID. I said Im 32 and she just said no ID no beer!! I hadnt any with me so I just said feck it Ill get it elsewhere so I ask the girl for some scratchcards to throw in the birthday card and again she looks at me and says you need to be 18 to buy lotto cards too so no ID......!! I just said ya know what go **** yourself and I left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

IM0 wrote: »
    its very simple really, dont buy beer in tescos

It'd be even simpler to have some ID with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

Tesco Policy is think 25. anyone they think is under they ID. Its only the person buying the drink they are meant to ask, all they have to say is its for themselves not the person with them and they should accept that.

The old policy was ask everyone in the group but this was revised a few months back and obviously some stores dont keep up to date with their training.

And the cashier can be fined 3grand for underage selling and its a sackable offence.

Personal i think we should go the american way, everyone carry ID and everyone get asked when buying booze, even if they are ninety, that way no one can be offended etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

irish-stew wrote: »
    Who carries their passport everywhere considering the value of it, and who over the age of 20-21 applies for an age card.

I know the drivers licence can be easily faked, hopefully the new credit card style one will be widely accepted once more people have one.

You can't even get an age card if you're over 21. Age card is for 18's-21's only fcukers.
    So yeah, I carry my passport every where (I don't drive) :/
    El Guapo! wrote: »
    And up until what age should someone be expected to carry around I.D? 30? 40? 76?!
    And why should I, who's 26, be expected to apply for and pay for an age card?
    Actually, there's a few 16/17 year olds who would pass for 20 odd, thats why they have the 25 mark.

__
    At posters, however, My partner has never had any trouble with tesco when buying alcohol(he's over 30) and around someone who looks underage, raised a few eyebrows, but once they see he's buying, it's all fine.

Its not their business what you do with the alcohol after.

(I actually know people who were fined for buying alcohol for underage, shop was unaffected as 'they were not to know' though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Law has to be tough , as kids these days can looks years older than they are (hence why it's a think 25 policy as apposed to 21) , age card costs a tenner and fits in your wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

To add to my post above, I have encountered a few ridiculous situations that were of no advantage to anyone all the same.

I don't know what Tesco's policy is now, but I was asked for ID about 10 years ago in one and I handed over my passport. I was informed that only an age card or whatever you call them, was acceptable. I wasn't going to bother arguing, The nearby security guard came across, stood over me and alternated looking at me and looking at the door.

My other stuff was already put through and I was waiting for her to deposit the €/£ 20 note belonging to me that was in her hand, into the cash register and to give me my change.

She never used bad language, but she snapped at me quite rudely imo, "You're not getting the drink, don't you get it?"

"Can I have my change please?"

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" she said again, louder.

"I would like to pay for the bread and milk please. I think you may not understand yourself."

What must have looked like a manager came around the corner with a big box full of cigarette boxes to refill the machine beside the counter I was at.

I am usually the last person to complain about anything, but this one was being an idiot. I said excuse me to the manager. She heard me the second time I called her. I asked her if she had a moment. The checkout lady began talking over me, but the manager gave her a glare and asked her sternly to let me speak. I just explained that I didn't have the correct ID to buy alcohol and that I just wanted to get the change from my other items.

I said that the lady that served me might be in a bad mood, but maybe she should sulk silence in future. Yer wan went red and said "how dare you".

I said to the manager "You won't accept my passport as ID, that's fair enough, I never challenged that. I would have left already but I am waiting for change from the money that is in this lady's hand, which I handed over for the rest of my stuff."

The security guard had a bit of a bemused face on him then, like he had suddenly copped on what was going on and he wandered off again.

She handed me my change then. The drawer was in full view, there were plenty of loads 10s and 5s, but I got my change in 1s and 2s. (must have been after the euro changeover so)

I hadn't even come in for beer specifically, so I didn't care all that much. I just had to laugh to myself at the ridiculousness of it.

I have no idea what an age card looks like now, but they didn't look all that difficult to fake when I saw one last. Passports from different countries can vary quite a bit, but what are the chances someone would get their hands on a fake Irish passport, just to buy drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Duff wrote: »
    Lidl is worse. They'd ask Gandalf for I.D in there.

Never been asked for ID in Lidl. Maybe its time I trim the old beard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Soby wrote: »
    Law has to be tough , as kids these days can looks years older than they are (hence why it's a think 25 policy as apposed to 21) , age card costs a tenner and fits in your wallet

And can be faked for less than a tenner.

Whats wrong with a passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

You can't even get an age card if you're over 21. Age card is for 18's-21's only fcukers

Eh, no it isn't, you just have to be over 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

syklops wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with a passport. But the legislation in relation to supplying of drink only allows a statutory Defence that a age card was provided. So a pub or Tesco ask for ID and person provides passport, it turns out person under 18 then no Defence, if age card provided then Defence.

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Eh, no it isn't, you just have to be over 18.

Have you tried?

I tried to get one just under two years ago, and was told that I "won't need it/can't get one" as I was over 21.

Maybe it changed recently.

Have you tried?

I tried to get one just under two years ago, and was told that I "won't need it/can't get one" as I was over 21.

The only rule is you are over 18, there is not was there a maximum age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

garv123 wrote: »
    They also don't accept drivers licences..Passport and age card only.
    I only have my passport on me when I'm abroad, and the age-card is about 13 years old at this stage! I may bring it with me for the lols, though. The fun thing will be that I now have a beard and shaved head. No reason to ever renew the age-card.
    Is there an expiry date on my Age Card?
    No there is no expiry date on your Age Card.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Ya, I got one last year when I was 22.

THAT wasn't always the case. As age cards used to have expiry dates, and therefore 'couldn't' be used as ID once you wer over 21. (still were used, but it's only recently when that was changed.)

In relation to not supplying if a person under is at till with person over 18. It's an offence to supply to a person who then gives it to a minor. If shop thinks that's going on then they must refuse. Tesco is a bit zealous but can't blame employee.
    Most of the legislation and law is in this case http://courts.ie/judgments.nsf/6681dee4565ecf2c80256e7e0052005b/491cd9c28228ffbe802576bf004b7705?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,Waxy

THAT wasn't always the case. As age cards used to have expiry dates, and therefore 'couldn't' be used as ID once you wer over 21. (still were used, but it's only recently when that was changed.)

Can you point at anything to back this up. Considering that an Age card is the only Defence to charge of supply to a minor and that a public should ID any person under 25 it would be silly for no one over 21 to be able to have one.

From the Age Card site, http://www.agecard.ie/faqs.html

I have an old style Age Card, is it still valid?
    Yes, there is no expiry date on your old card. However, the last old style “black” age card ceased production in March 2007 and many establishments no longer accept it.
    Is there an expiry date on my Age Card?
    No there is no expiry date on your Age Card.
    Is there an expiry date on my Application Form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can you point at anything to back this up. Considering that an Age card is the only Defence to charge of supply to a minor and that a public should ID any person under 25 it would be silly for no one over 21 to be able to have one.
    That was the case back in 2000 anyhoo's. Yes, very stupid, but that's how the Gardaí rolled back then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bloody hell ... just bring in a ID card.

I don't carry my passport around with me ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've never heard of anyone over 30 being asked though.

I'm over 30, i've never been refused alcohol here in Ireland.

But in Florida, at aged 37 I was asked for ID for a pint of beer from a bloke that must of been 10 years younger my age. I do look younger for my age but that young?!
    It was a compliment showing him my passport of age :)

the_syco wrote: »
    That was the case back in 2000 anyhoo's. Yes, very stupid, but that's how the Gardaí rolled back then...

Just looked at the 1999 regs in force at the time no requirement that the person be over 18 and under 21.

4. (1) Any person who has attained the age of 18 years may apply for an age card.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0004.html

New regs came in in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Legally the only ID that can protect a publican from prosecution is Garda ID. So a publican is correct to refuse unless such ID is produced.

What if you're a tourist? How the hell are they expected to have Garda ID?

JimiTime wrote: »
    What if you're a tourist? How the hell are they expected to have Garda ID?

I never said it was a clever law, in fact it was perfectly good untill it was amended. But that's the law and yes it can be an issue for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm never ID'ed buying drink in Tesco, and I'm 21 :(

The age card is very handy though, and definitely preferable to carrying your passport everywhere. I know that Tesco's policy is a bit ridiculous but if you know you're going to be buying drink there, just bring the ID and save yourself the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Personal i think we should go the american way, everyone carry ID and everyone get asked when buying booze, even if they are ninety, that way no one can be offended etc

No, that's absolutely stupid. If someone is clearly of age, it's a waste of time.
    In relation to not supplying if a person under is at till with person over 18. It's an offence to supply to a person who then gives it to a minor. If shop thinks that's going on then they must refuse. Tesco is a bit zealous but can't blame employee.
    Most of the legislation and law is in this case http://courts.ie/judgments.nsf/6681dee4565ecf2c80256e7e0052005b/491cd9c28228ffbe802576bf004b7705?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,Waxy

That's pretty stupid. How is it even properly enforceable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

before i was 18 i got asked for ID everywhere.

now i am 18, i want that "bitch please yes i am 18 moment" when i get my ID, but i havent been asked once since turning 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Have you tried?

Yeah I got one last year and I'm well over 21. As far as I know it was always that way as I know people who got them when they were first launched who were over 21. Sounds like you were fobbed off, the Gardai seemed to see it as an inconvenience the couple of times I tried to get one.

No, that's absolutely stupid. If someone is clearly of age, it's a waste of time.

That's pretty stupid. How is it even properly enforceable?

That's a whole other issue, no one said our law makers knew what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not true in-fact. A Parent/Guardian is allowed to buy alcohol for their child, providing it is consumed in the domestic home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work in aldi and were told if someone looks under 25 you have to ask for Id , they do mystery customers . Like other people have said if somebody els is with you ,you have to ask them for Id as well.

At end of day I agree with op , a bit of common sense goes a long way . But from my point of view if a person looks in their early 20s ill ask for Id because folks you should have it on you no excuses.
    My bosses check the cameras. And pull you in on things.

About a month ago I was serving away and this young lady comes to till with 1 can of Guinness. I was so close to serving it to her, she looked around early 20s . I asked her at last min , " do you have Id " she said no. I said how old are you. She said 17 . I'm buying can for my mum for a recipe. I said no sorry I can't serve you. Turned out to be a mystery shopper from head office . Scared the life out of me.

Like I said common sense goes a long way but people remember jobs are hard to come by these days. You don't want to lose your job over something stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

The case you linked to is about a girl getting into a pub & buying a bottle of beer, not someone buying beer at an off-licence & giving it to minors. (In the latter scenario an offence is committed, but by the person buying the alcohol, not by the seller.)

Feathers wrote: »
    The case you linked to is about a girl getting into a pub & buying a bottle of beer, not someone buying beer at an off-licence & giving it to minors. (In the latter scenario an offence is committed, but by the person buying the alcohol, not by the seller.)

Yes but it lays out in general the legal framework about supply to any person under 18. Just to make it clear I think its an over reaction by any retailer not to supply to a person with an Age Crd just because the person with them has none.

If I remember a certain retailer in the UK refused to supply a mother as her toddler was with her at the time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314888/Supermarket-refuses-sell-father-bottle-wine-ID-daughter-8.html

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4625626.Store_refuses_to_sell_alcohol_to_Dorset_mum_shopping_with_son/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1955793/Tesco-ban-on-alcohol-sales-to-parents.html

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not true in-fact. A Parent/Guardian is allowed to buy alcohol for their child, providing it is consumed in the domestic home.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear, I was referring to a person who buys in a off licence, so as to supply it to a minor for their consumption. The if I give you a tenner will you pick me up bottle of buckfast situation. What goes on in the privacy of a person home in relation to parents or guardians allowing the consumption of alcohol, is thankfully currently not prohibited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

before i was 18 i got asked for ID everywhere.

now i am 18, i want that "bitch please yes i am 18 moment" when i get my ID, but i havent been asked once since turning 18

Sure go to Tesco and they might ask ya for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work in aldi and were told if someone looks under 25 you have to ask for Id , they do mystery customers . Like other people have said if somebody els is with you ,you have to ask them for Id as well.

At end of day I agree with op , a bit of common sense goes a long way . But from my point of view if a person looks in their early 20s ill ask for Id because folks you should have it on you no excuses.
    My bosses check the cameras. And pull you in on things.

About a month ago I was serving away and this young lady comes to till with 1 can of Guinness. I was so close to serving it to her, she looked around early 20s . I asked her at last min , " do you have Id " she said no. I said how old are you. She said 17 . I'm buying can for my mum for a recipe. I said no sorry I can't serve you. Turned out to be a mystery shopper from head office . Scared the life out of me.

Like I said common sense goes a long way but people remember jobs are hard to come by these days. You don't want to lose your job over something stupid.

Would you have got sacked for selling her the can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think an even worse law is that you can't buy two items with paracetamol in it in the same purchase. I remember a guy came up to me with calpol+ for the kid and a panadol or something for him. The two would NOT both scan through. I couldn't not give them both to him as it was completely against my morals so I told him to queue up again and just keep the receipt for the stuff he had already bought, in case he was asked, and told him to just pay for the second paracetamol.

Serious nanny-state stuff in this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think some of the cashier like the sense of power for 15 seconds. I once seen a cashier in Dunnes forensically examining a Polish couples ID even through they were buying a bottle of wine and looked about 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

this has probably been said but..
    How does one decide what 25 looks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Toshi101 wrote: »
    this has probably been said but..
    How does one decide what 25 looks like?

If there's grass on the pitch....

Play ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

syklops wrote: »

what ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

if they didnt ask for id people would be giving out aswell. you just cant win in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

irish-stew wrote: »
    Who carries their passport everywhere considering the value of it, and who over the age of 20-21 applies for an age card.

I know the drivers licence can be easily faked, hopefully the new credit card style one will be widely accepted once more people have one.

I carry the passport when I go drinking or buying it for the simple reason that they wouldnt accept my age card its cracked and glued together but its clearly me but I going on 25 still getting ID'd its a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

Went into dunnes one night with my 90 year old granny
    Got a few bits and pieces, my granny picked up a bottle of bailey, got to the checkout and the girl asked me for I.D. Said to her ''sorry i don't have it on me but I'm not buying the baileys'' She wouldn't serve my granny. Called the manager, thinking it was b*ll, he completely backed her up, store policy etc

Such a load sh*t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

The worst is when you're being served by someone who is obviously younger than you and they ask you for ID. I'm 25 and this has happened to me before.

The girl at the till couldn't have been no more than 20. :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I ran to the car to get my licence but I hadn't got it.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

2 years ago. I was in a rush to go to a party. Went into aldi got some crisps and picked up a six pack of Guinness. I was 19 at the time and my sister of 21 was with me. We both look young. Went to checkout. Asked for I.d as I always am, no problem. Sister asked, she has none. I said what! He explained the policy of anyone ring with you must have I.d. I asked for manager. He repeated it saying it was the same for any customer. I disputed it had printed to the kid at a que holding a bottle of wine. He said if your with someone you both must have I.d it's that simple. I left....
    I returned to the store. Alone 2 minutes later, went to till with my Guimness, lady said you were in here a minute ago. I said yes I was. She said I'm
    Not serving you. I asked why? So anyway manager comes over. I said but you said if I'm on my own I can buy it. He then said " your obviously supplying a underage girl with drink". I was mortified as the whole que heard it. So I said il
    On my own. How much time must pass before I can buy alcohol in here again. 5 mins, an hour, a day, a week? He couldn't answer. I left, wrote a letter to head office. Got 3 phonecalls. An apology from head office, manager got a billowing but I wanted a face to face apology. Defamation of character was also a route but I hadn't the time/energy.
    Ages ago now and it's all forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wish I had a babyface like OP. Haven't been asked in millennia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

:rolleyes:

What's with the rolleyes???

• Advertisement
Advertisement