Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco alcohol policy

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

El Guapo! wrote: »
    What's with the rolleyes???
    It's a legal requirement to carry your license when driving, so you should have had ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

BOHtox wrote: »
    I think an even worse law is that you can't buy two items with paracetamol in it in the same purchase. I remember a guy came up to me with calpol+ for the kid and a panadol or something for him. The two would scan through. I couldn't not give it to him as it was completely against my morals so I told him to queue up again and just keep the receipt for the stuff he had already bought.

Serious nanny-state stuff in this country!
    A bit off topic but as per Tescos nonsensical policies I had a cold and was trying to buy Lemsip (contains paracetamol) and Aspro Clear (aspirin) and got told at the till I could not buy two things with paracetamol in them. I agreed and pointed out only one item had paracetamol. The girl on the till checked ingredients and agreed with me but said the till would not let her put them both through. She put through everything else then put through the Aspirin as a second transaction without making me queue again. I do hope that would not have got her in trouble for me it was good customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

hfallada wrote: »
    I think some of the cashier like the sense of power for 15 seconds. I once seen a cashier in Dunnes forensically examining a Polish couples ID even through they were buying a bottle of wine and looked about 45

dunnes staff are regularly given sheets with the store policy on alcohol which outlines the fact they can be sacked and prosecuted ect so i wouldnt blame them for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Meteoric wrote: »
    A bit off topic but as per Tescos nonsensical policies I had a cold and was trying to buy Lemsip (contains paracetamol) and Aspro Clear (aspirin) and got told at the till I could not buy two things with paracetamol in them. I agreed and pointed out only one item had paracetamol. The girl on the till checked ingredients and agreed with me but said the till would not let her put them both through. She put through everything else then put through the Aspirin as a second transaction without making me queue again. I do hope that would not have got her in trouble for me it was good customer service.

its not tesco its law, all supermarkets enforce this now

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Nonsensical because I was not trying to buy two paracetamol products, one that had it one that did not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

next time you do a big shop and they refuse to sell you alcohol just say to them ok i refuse to pay for the shopping and that you'll shop elsewhere, and just walk out of the store leaving the full trolley of food at the cashier.

they are very quick to sell you the booze then cause they dont want to have to restack all the food in the trolley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭wallyMe

It's a legal requirement to carry your license when driving, so you should have had ID.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

fair play to tescos imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would you be able to tell us what law states that if I'm buying a bottle of wine, my brother has to have ID?? I'm entering a contract with the store when I present the bottle at the till, I'm completing the transaction. I'm paying the money. Legally Tesco don't have to worry about a thing once I'm of age and have ID.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to agree with the poster who said it is a nonsensical rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I had taken it out of the car on Friday because I needed it for something, and forgot to put it back in.
    Hardly the crime of the century.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Would you be able to tell us what law states that if I'm buying a bottle of wine, my brother has to have ID?? I'm entering a contract with the store when I present the bottle at the till, I'm completing the transaction. I'm paying the money. Legally Tesco don't have to worry about a thing once I'm of age and have ID.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to agree with the poster who said it is a nonsensical rule.

It's in my opinion an over zealous interpertation of section 31(1) of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1988.

“The holder of any licence shall not –
    (a) sell or deliver or permit any person to sell or deliver intoxicating liquor to a person under the age of 18 years,
    (b) sell or deliver or permit any person to sell or deliver intoxicating liquor to any person for consumption on his licensed premises by a person under the age of 18 years,

(c) permit a person under the age of 18 years to consume intoxicating liquor on his licensed premises, or

(d) permit any person to supply a person under the age of 18 years with intoxicating liquor on his licensed premises.”

If the shop does not want to get into trouble they have decided to ID everyone with the buyer. It can get silly with certain shops not selling to parents because their young children have no ID.

But the shop are not breaking any laws by following such a strict interpertation.

next time you do a big shop and they refuse to sell you alcohol just say to them ok i refuse to pay for the shopping and that you'll shop elsewhere, and just walk out of the store leaving the full trolley of food at the cashier.

they are very quick to sell you the booze then cause they dont want to have to restack all the food in the trolley.

yep, the management who are under strict instructions from the upper management of a global corporation are going to crack under your game of bluff, disobey company policy and wince at the thought of instructing a zit peppered clown to restack a few shelves.

ffs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

errlloyd wrote: »
    Classic "It's not our policy sir, we just enforce it, if you have a problem you have to take it up with head office"

Which is fair enough (not the policy itself, mind you) but you can't really blame the person on the checkout for being careful, I'd rather be on the safe side and p*ss a customer off by asking for ID than losing my job for selling alcohol to a minor (so damned hard to judge people's age, kids today (especially girls) look so much older than they actually are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

thats strange, i've often bought alcohol in my local Tescos and i am NEVER id'd havent been for 3 years now and im only 26. when im with my husband or 3 year old daughter i am also never asked for id. maybe because i am local they know i'm not a secret shopper....

or maybe i just look old :(

on the other hand bought my daughter a barbie dvd yesterday and got flagged, assistant comes over does their scanning thing and clicks *customer is over 25* button :confused:

for a G rated DVD???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I laughed the checkout assistant out of it recently in Tesco when I was asked for ID when buying some Erdinger Non-Alcoholic beer. Herself and the manager standing near by just couldn't grasp that it didn't have alcohol in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

hfallada wrote: »
    I think some of the cashier like the sense of power for 15 seconds. I once seen a cashier in Dunnes forensically examining a Polish couples ID even through they were buying a bottle of wine and looked about 45

Thinks some of them watch too much Border Patrol.:D

I got asked before when my mum asked me to pick up wine for her. I usually go to centra but I had to get something specifically in tesco. I know I look younger than I am, but I still had to laugh. Poor fella kept apologising and saying it was policy and he had to ask, told him not to worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I work in Tesco, and we get chastised for not asking for ID. Even if it's an older bloke, clearly over the age, have to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ireland can be so antiquated, I'm glad to live somewhere where there is none of this crap and no one makes an issue out of alcohol as if it were something sacred. I can buy booze 24/7 365 days of the year and a 6 pack of quality beer will cost less than €4 and the legal age for drinking beer is 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

jester77 wrote: »
    Ireland can be so antiquated, I'm glad to live somewhere where there is none of this crap and no one makes an issue out of alcohol as if it were something sacred. I can buy booze 24/7 365 days of the year and a 6 pack of quality beer will cost less than €4 and the legal age for drinking beer is 16.
    I've often seen 20 year olds get asked for ID in shops here in Germany when buying beer (and cigarettes for that matter) and when it comes to buying wine and spirits a lot of shops can be very fussy here too - it's not just an Irish thing.

I have something similar. But I don't think it's an antiquated thing. I think if you gave ireland the same prices and open laws it would be a disaster. It's a cultural thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Nobody asks me for ID anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Would you have got sacked for selling her the can?

I don't think I'd have got the sack. I'd defo get a warning , written or verbal . If on the other hand the girl would have been sent in by the gards then the store would have got closed down for 4 days. Then yes absolutely I'd have got sack. Plus I'd have been in court for aiding and abetting . This is something people need to know when they question why people are so strict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If the staff ask you for ID, and you produce something other than the Garda ID, are they then obliged to refuse you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

osarusan wrote: »
    If the staff ask you for ID, and you produce something other than the Garda ID, are they then obliged to refuse you?

In my store, it depends on your own judgement to a large extent. If you get someone whose obviously over the age, or at least your sure they are, they have a driving licence or passport whatever, you should serve them. If your in doubt, better to say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Jaysus, I'd better get some fake ID sorted for my daughter. I doubt she can pass for 25 as she's only 11 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭wallyMe

I remember actually I was in Tesco one day back in College a few years ago in the one in Waterford near the college. They asked a small man with a hat on who I thought was at least 50 for I.D. He took off the hat and had grey hair and was bald and said is that proof enough for ya. Was pretty funny at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Was asked for I'd in tesco, on mother's day, buying a bottle of Bailey's for my mum, simply because the fat witch working the self checkout saw the little security thing and decided that since she had to go to the inconvenience of removing it, she would make me go through the inconvenience of producing my I'd. I look young for my age, but i was 31 at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I bought a bottle of wine in Lidl at the weekend. I wasn't ID'd - the guy just asked me if I was 18. I said yes and that was enough for him.

What on earth was the point of that!

Just to mention - I'm 27 and carry ID because I get asked for it every few months. I suppose one of these days it will be the last time! I don't see the posters problem - he must look on the young side and should just stick his age card back in his wallet.

Do people not carry their driving license with them? Mine is always in my wallet, never know when I might need when out and about.

• Advertisement

Do people not carry their driving license with them? Mine is always in my wallet, never know when I might need when out and about.

Mine stays in the car
    The last time it was not in the car, it got lost on the other side of the country and a kind soul posted it back to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I got the manager one day because they woudnt serve me with car license the manager asked me to leave the store and woudnt serve me either he was a right *ock about it. Made a show of me I have never tried to buy alcohol in Tesco since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I got the manager one day because they woudnt serve me with car license the manager asked me to leave the store and woudnt serve me either he was a right *ock about it. Made a show of me I have never tried to buy alcohol in Tesco since.

A licence isnt valid ID anywhere, not just tesco, as it can be so easily forged.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

bennyl10 wrote: »
    A licence isnt valid ID anywhere, not just tesco, as it can be so easily forged.

Im aware of that just shocked the manager was so horrible to deal with in Tesco I felt very embarrassed in the que

KTRIC wrote: »
    I laughed the checkout assistant out of it recently in Tesco when I was asked for ID when buying some Erdinger Non-Alcoholic beer. Herself and the manager standing near by just couldn't grasp that it didn't have alcohol in it.

This is also the case where I work, not tesco btw. Any product from the off licence, erdinger non alco. etc and even grenadine which is just fruit syrup brings up a prompt on the till when scanned to ask for id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

bennyl10 wrote: »

Good enough to fly to the UK with, but not good enough to buy a beer with. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

One of my friends was in Tesco buying beer.He was asked for I.d and handed over his Garda I.d.They wouldn't serve him cause they said he looked different from the photo or something like that.He had the I.d for a few years also of course he looked different.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mine stays in the car
    The last time it was not in the car, it got lost on the other side of the country and a kind soul posted it back to me...

But what if you are out and about and need it, it's the only form of ID that I have always on me. I couldn't do without having it on me, e.g. need it regularly for picking up parcels from the Post Office, proving that I am the owner of my monthly transport ticket when I am controlled, for using pay as you go cars around the city, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's in my opinion an over zealous interpertation of section 31(1) of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1988.

“The holder of any licence shall not –
    (a) sell or deliver or permit any person to sell or deliver intoxicating liquor to a person under the age of 18 years,
    (b) sell or deliver or permit any person to sell or deliver intoxicating liquor to any person for consumption on his licensed premises by a person under the age of 18 years,

(c) permit a person under the age of 18 years to consume intoxicating liquor on his licensed premises, or

(d) permit any person to supply a person under the age of 18 years with intoxicating liquor on his licensed premises.”

If the shop does not want to get into trouble they have decided to ID everyone with the buyer. It can get silly with certain shops not selling to parents because their young children have no ID.

But the shop are not breaking any laws by following such a strict interpertation.

Over zealous? It's ridiculous. Legally, if they ask if the alcohol is for my consumption and I say yes they are covered. So why cause hassle for customers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

tennis12 wrote: »
    2 years ago. I was in a rush to go to a party. Went into aldi got some crisps and picked up a six pack of Guinness. I was 19 at the time and my sister of 21 was with me. We both look young. Went to checkout. Asked for I.d as I always am, no problem. Sister asked, she has none. I said what! He explained the policy of anyone ring with you must have I.d. I asked for manager. He repeated it saying it was the same for any customer. I disputed it had printed to the kid at a que holding a bottle of wine. He said if your with someone you both must have I.d it's that simple. I left....
    I returned to the store. Alone 2 minutes later, went to till with my Guimness, lady said you were in here a minute ago. I said yes I was. She said I'm
    Not serving you. I asked why? So anyway manager comes over. I said but you said if I'm on my own I can buy it. He then said " your obviously supplying a underage girl with drink". I was mortified as the whole que heard it. So I said il
    On my own. How much time must pass before I can buy alcohol in here again. 5 mins, an hour, a day, a week? He couldn't answer. I left, wrote a letter to head office. Got 3 phonecalls. An apology from head office, manager got a billowing but I wanted a face to face apology. Defamation of character was also a route but I hadn't the time/energy.
    Ages ago now and it's all forgotten about.

Apparently not! :D

• Advertisement

But what if you are out and about and need it, it's the only form of ID that I have always on me. I couldn't do without having it on me, e.g. need it regularly for picking up parcels from the Post Office, proving that I am the owner of my monthly transport ticket when I am controlled, for using pay as you go cars around the city, etc.

I use my work id if I need id, it's credit-card sized and I always leave it in my wallet anyway. It doesn't have DOB on it so it wouldn't work for the thread topic for example, but it has a picture and my name so it's fine for basic stuff like exam ID, vodafone shop, picking up stuff in PO, whatever.
    Licence is not card sized! If I get the new smaller card licence at some stage I might carry that around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I used to work in Aldi, during training we were told to ID anybody that looked under 25 and to use common sense if somebody was accompanied by somebody underage. So if a middle aged man is accompanied by a teenage girl and there are alcopops in trolley then we should ID the teenage girl. Whereas if it was cans of larger then it would be fine.

I can understand the IDing everyone who looks under 25 thing because I always looked way older than I was as a teenager and very rarely got ID'd from the age of 15 up. I went to school with a guy who had a fully grown beard in the last year of primary school, when he was 15 he could have passed for 25. You just can't reliably judge peoples ages so it's better to check than to risk losing your job.

The IDing people with the person trying to buy alcohol rule is stupid tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

The most utterly ridiculous example I've seen of this was with a German friend in Tesco's, who was IDed buying a bottle of wine. Despite presenting her German ID card (her ONLY form of identification allowing her to travel anywhere in Europe), which clearly showed her photo and DOB and was hologrammed to boot, she was refused purchase by both the cashier and the manager.

I'm all for vigilance in IDing those who appear under 25, but without allowing for a bit of common sense in cases such as this, these shops are going to breed a lot of ill will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

MiseryMary wrote: »
    they will ask for ID regardless of anything if you haven't got ID on you( Guards ID ,Driving license, European Card)
    Wrong! 3 yrs ago my wife was asked in Tesco to produce ID, she presented EU Card and the reply was: "Only Irish Passport or Garda Age Card accepted" as they can't tell whether EU ID wasn't forged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No real issue with being asked for ID but this business of asking those with you for ID absolutely does my head in, and it has happened to me more than once.

Was in the queue in Tesco a while back, was buying bread, milk, other basic groceries. Noticed a girl I knew a bit further up in the queue. We chatted for a bit, she told me she was going out that night and was just getting some wine for a few pre drinks.

Anyway she got to the top of the queue, she was asked for ID. She gave them her passport. The cashier asked her to call me up to the top of the queue. I was also asked for ID. I was bewildered, we weren't even shopping together, I had just spotted her in the queue and we had a quick chat.

I had no ID on me, I wasn't even buying drink myself. The cashier wouldn't sell her the drink because I didn't have ID. Absolutely ridiculous!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I remember being in Tesco Jervis a while back and a foreign couple on holiday were trying to buy a few beers. The ID they had was their passports of course. The lady behind the counter wouldn't accept them (how is a foreigner expected to have a Garda ID?) and she kept saying you need an "age card", about 5 minutes later a manager came along and said exactly the same thing. They never got their beer, which I thought was ridiculous and also idiotic. But I suppose if the clowns in the government are making these bizarre rules on only guaranteeing an age card, you can see why the large stores are doing it. Still though, wouldn't be the best start to someone holidaying here I can't imagine!

Nick

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Had a barman ID me when I was 18 or 19, which was fair enough. Told me a passport wasn't accepted and that I need an age card. I said if it's good enough to get through customs, it's good enough to buy a pint :p He gave it to me in the end.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

I was 23 or 24 when a small local bar I would play pool in a lot decided to ask me for ID.

I had been asked for ID there once before, when I was 16 or 17. I would go in there between shifts at the bar/hotel/niteclub down the street I was working at.

The bouncer asked me for ID, I just shrugged and said "Ha?" and "I'm working in [insert name here]'s". He just stood aside and said fair enough, as if what I said was a valid bloody answer to him wanting to see some ID. I couldn't talk myself out of anything usually, but I was just thinking to myself... "What the hell just happened?"

I hadn't gone in there to drink, either time as it happens. I used to play pool there after work years ago. A coke or two and a few games of pool to pass the time were enough. I left getting bladdered and arriving home with a much lighter wallet a few or most evenings a week to the other patrons.

Advertisement