Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticket vending machines don't accept the new €5 notes

• 06-05-2013 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if thats true thats incredble...cue a dozen new threads "got fined this morning...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'd say its true alright. Probably requires a software update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Pay with a €10, simples

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Pay with a €10, simples

Grand if ya have a tenner on ya. Not so grand if ya get to a station and all ya have is a fiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Bit more complicated than a software upgrade I think.

They also don't work in Tesco/superquinn self service and a lot of vending machines

• Advertisement

Bit more complicated than a software upgrade I think.

They also don't work in Tesco/superquinn self service and a lot of vending machines

Dont see why it would be. Just need to be upgraded to recognise the new notes. I'd have thought that would be a software issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Dont see why it would be. Just need to be upgraded to recognise the new notes. I'd have thought that would be a software issue

The mechanisms on the note itself are different when it comes to watermarks and such. Could require a new type of reader itself. Are there any identifiers in common with the old note?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Did the ECB give any thought to this? It is a problem in the rest of Europe? It is a problem at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Where I work we have an old parking ticket machine that doesn't take 50EUR notes. It is a long term car park and regularly payment in excess of 50 is required. The cost apparently to upgrade this machine to take 50 notes is over 2 grand. The comnpanies solution was to give the attendent a credit card machine.

Like with the Euro change over itself the ECB don't factor these things in and its always the retailer that foots the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Did the ECB give any thought to this? It is a problem in the rest of Europe? It is a problem at all?

Yes, which is why its the same shape/size as the old ones. That's as far as they can go.

Software is easily upgradeable, just take a look at the parking machines in some NI carparks that have to be able to understand 8 different (but identically shaped) tenners* and euros.

*Bank of England, Northern, First Trust, Ulster, Bank of Ireland, Clydesdale, BOS, RBS, all of which are in common use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Apparently the notes are slightlier heavier than the old ones which is causing the issue.

from what i've heard the central bank were late in sending the note specifications out to all the hardware manufactureres and thats why its not working in any devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's not that complicated. Try dealing with TVMs in Northern Ireland where you've a different fiver for every day of the week!

The Euro's used by hundreds of millions of people and the software solutions are probably available off-the-shelf from the TVM and other vending machine manufacturers.

The change of notes was flagged months ahead of the launch and I'm sure specs were available.

It's not like we're using some obscure currency or something.

Given how long it took them to rollout chip and pin acceptance, and various other unbelievably simple to solve card issues, I'd expect the new €5 to start working on the IE TVMs in 2014.

Solair wrote: »

Which is why I asked if this is a problem in any other countries? Any reports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It's hard to blame IR here, they are at the bottom of a supply chain and there's very little they can about the delays. You'll see this everywhere that self service is used, lots of machines will never be upgradeable in older systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They tend to be concerned about whether or not you had a ticket, not why you didn't. Also if the RPU were to be seen to allow people off due to it, you may see a lot of chancers using it as a means, as opposed to those left stuck because of it.

I'd say the will be fining people. However I'd imagine that you would have sufficent grounds to appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hmmm... the other way of thinking about it is that shops do not have to accept a (legal) €50 note, nor do they have to accept a mountain of change, despite the fact that that is also legal currency.

I don't think 'the machine wouldn't accept my €5" will pass as an excuse to avoid being fined no more than "the machine wouldn't accept my €50 so I got on anyway".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They do, and always have once the total fare due is 31 euro or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Organisations running public transport facilities should be required to accept the currency of the country without maybes, gotchas, or if it suits us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

ardmacha wrote: »
    Organisations running public transport facilities should be required to accept the currency of the country without maybes, gotchas, or if it suits us.

Even stamps? They are legal tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Morf wrote: »

On letters perhaps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If they can fine you, they'll fine you regardless of whether it's reasonable or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Victor wrote: »
    No they aren't.

I concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I concede.

Butter vouchers ftw...

(I may be showing my age ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They should accept Visa Debit NFC cards by waving them over a pad. In fact, at this stage, the busses should just accept Visa Debit on board by waving it on the ticket machine.

This is already common elsewhere where banks issued NFC cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Solair wrote: »
    It's not that complicated. Try dealing with TVMs in Northern Ireland where you've a different fiver for every day of the week!

The Euro's used by hundreds of millions of people and the software solutions are probably available off-the-shelf from the TVM and other vending machine manufacturers.

The change of notes was flagged months ahead of the launch and I'm sure specs were available.

Given how long it took them to rollout chip and pin acceptance, and various other unbelievably simple to solve card issues, I'd expect the new €5 to start working on the IE TVMs in 2014.

More Irish Rail bashing. :rolleyes:

Can you provide any actual proof that the TVM manufacturers have enabled acceptance in other countries or is this just more opportunistic criticism of IE?

Funny how you do not mention LUAS, seeing as their (almost identical) TVMs have the same issue.

As far as I was aware Scheidt & Bachmann were contracted by both IE and Veolia to do the technical support for these machines, it is certainly not uncommon to see their vans at rail and Luas stops. Presumably things such as new currency acceptance would be part of this.

Have any of those concerned about their being fined for not having a rail ticket, only a wad of crisp 2013 fivers actually contacted IE (or even LUAS) to get an official response?

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Can you provide any actual proof that the TVM manufacturers have enabled acceptance in other countries

http://www.scheidt-bachmann.com/en/news/detail/article/neue-banknoten-fuer-europa/
    Our service for you

Equipment used by our customers to accept bank notes requires new notation formatting, which includes the new five euro note. The new five euro notes will only be accepted by the sales equipment once this update is installed.

Our After Sales Service will be pleased to assist customers affected by this on telephone number +49 2166 266-343.

Depending on system configuration, the notation format can be sent easily as a software download to the terminal equipment via the Scheidt & Bachmann background system. Where this is not possible, we offer the alternative option of having the software download installed manually by one of our technicians.
    Have any of those concerned about their being fined for not having a rail ticket, only a wad of crisp 2013 fivers actually contacted IE (or even LUAS) to get an official response?
    RPA are saying differently to S&B and Irish Rail didn't respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Why did they update the 5 euro note in the first plate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Because the bankers in Frankfurt don't want the job of overseen European banks and ensure that they are being regulated so they had to find something else productive to do with their time.:rolleyes:

EoghanIRL wrote: »

For increased security and to make the note more durable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I have to agree with the people who are sticking it to IE/Veolia. Changes to currency are normally notified well in advance. Now this does mean that every qualified technician is going to be working flat out for a while and therefore is probably tricky to get done in time but that's the cash handling business for you. Feck sake lads it's not like it's plastic space money.

hi-hadfield-04363181.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Don't think we can come down too hard on IE. Spotted this in a BoI branch today stuck to the front of one of the new auto lodgement machines looks like they missed the boat too!

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if this is happening elsewhere in Europe? Sounds increasingly like a widespread issue. But the usual suspects are blaming it all on IÉ. Even if it's localised then surely it's S&B's Ireland operation that should get the blame, not IÉ & Veolia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They don't work in the self service checkouts in Tesco either. A load of shops won't accept them as they never heard of a new 5 note. I had one taken from me and the manager called in one shop claiming I had fake money. I had to show them on my phone that it was the new 5 euro note. It's like no one told Ireland about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Which is why I asked if this is a problem in any other countries? Any reports?
    Yes, Germany has some problems, mostly caused by manufacturers of ticket machines not providing the software update in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

It's like no one told Ireland about it.
    It's had very little media coverage, for some reason.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ahhhhh. Ticket vending machine. You commoners need money to alight onto these vehicles? Simply ask ones man servant to pay with a larger denomination.

(I had to google TVM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Can anyone tell me if this is happening elsewhere in Europe? Sounds increasingly like a widespread issue. But the usual suspects are blaming it all on IÉ. Even if it's localised then surely it's S&B's Ireland operation that should get the blame, not IÉ & Veolia?
    It's a Europe wide problem. I did a quick search and found an article that says no machines on the Munich Underground are accepting the new note yet and many other issues.

German text

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130508-49605.html#.UY5hSErNjh4

“The appropriate software update was delivered too late and with defects to one of the two ticket machine manufacturers,” Deutsche Bahn spokesman Andreas Fuhrmann told the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    For increased security and to make the note more durable

Ok makes sense thanks for clearing it up for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Seems like I was a bit harsh on IE/Veolia above. Someone needs a slap though - either the manufacturers or the CBanks for not allowing a long enough window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

Dowlingms post is frankly outrageous

He has posted on the basis of the most up to date information

He has proved amenable to the arguments of other posters

Worst he has admitted he might have been wrong

He should be banned forever from all boards threads for undermining the basic philosophy of the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

eejoynt wrote: »
    Dowlingms post is frankly outrageous

He has posted on the basis of the most up to date information

He has proved amenable to the arguments of other posters

Worst he has admitted he might have been wrong

He should be banned forever from all boards threads for undermining the basic philosophy of the site

In fairness Dowlingm would not of being the only person who would of slammed both companies, many think it and at leat one other poster on here would of posted them exact same if they were not banned...

Are bus eireann also affected?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Are bus eireann also affected?
    Possibly, but they have very few TVMs. Busáras used to have two, although when I passed through recently, there may have been more. And given the TVMs will be at bus stations which are manned anyway, it is less of a problem than unmanned rail stations.

I think the only TVMs that Dublin Bus has are at the airport.

Advertisement