Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Wetsuit ?

Options
  • 06-05-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I do a lot of open-water swimming and have decided to treat myself to a new suit for this year. I have an Orca 3.8 which is super but its just worn out.

I want another top end suit and was settled on another 3.8 but wondered if there is any out there to consider; in particular came across a HUBB Archimedes http://www.huubdesign.com/product_archimedes.html - anyone know anything about this; they are pretty much in the same price range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

warbird wrote: »
    I do a lot of open-water swimming and have decided to treat myself to a new suit for this year. I have an Orca 3.8 which is super but its just worn out.

I want another top end suit and was settled on another 3.8 but wondered if there is any out there to consider; in particular came across a HUBB Archimedes http://www.huubdesign.com/product_archimedes.html - anyone know anything about this; they are pretty much in the same price range.

swim smooth are involved and the reviews are good, i know a few who have them and are very happy. they have some variations in neoprene thickness to vary buoyancy for different swim abilities.

the brownlees are wearing them (sponsored)

all in all, i don't think you'd go too far wrong.

i've one ordered, so i believe what i'm saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warbird

Yep Pro - they look the business. Wondered about the lack of grip on underarm but promo video says it has research that it doesn't add anything... Is B2Race only place to get them here - wondering about fit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

warbird wrote: »
    Yep Pro - they look the business. Wondered about the lack of grip on underarm but promo video says it has research that it doesn't add anything... Is B2Race only place to get them here - wondering about fit ?

B2R don't do HUUB.

The forearm panel allows you to feel the water better, rather than slipping through. It really depends on your ability to catch and hold onto the water during the pull phase of your stroke.

The flexibility in the shoulders of the 3.8 is fantastic and I haven't swam in the HUUB so can't compare it like for like.

There are quite a few high end suits you could choose from, there is the Predator (above the 3.8) if you really want to spoil yourself!! The fit is superb and with 44 cell yamamoto it's like a second skin. The Vanquish from Zone3 features the cloth forearm with silicon strips, nice suit.

Be careful of some suits with forearm propulsion as they are not legal for any races due to catch flaps that increase surface area.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warbird

I could be over-thinking it Sean - I'd defiantly be divorced with the predator so reckon I'll be seeing you this week for the 3.8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the best wetsuit is the one that fits YOU best . like a bike different wetsuits fit different people .

strong kick less neopren in leg
    weak kick ( skinny legs ) more neopren in legs
    etc etc
    you want to find the best wetsuit you have to swim in 6 or 7 different ones. after a race to ask people might be a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement