Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examination Results Marking

• 06-05-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently in my 1st year computing and have exams like everyone else this week.
    This semester has been a little bit tougher than my last and I'm worried about a particular exam of which is worth 40% of our module, the other 60% was made up of CA's in which I got 50% out of the given 60%.

My question is this does this mean I have passed the module already, before going into the exam or do I have to pass the 40% exam aswell?
    Reason being I have already made up my passing mark and I'm worried if indeed I do fail will I have to repeat in August?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid, back in the Xmas exams I was much more confident than I am now.

I've heard different things from different students so I'm just wondering could anyone possibly clear this up for?

Thanks,
    Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NewCanyon

I'd be surprised if you've not passed already but anyone who has 50% out of the first 60% should be ok for the exam anyway I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

NewCanyon wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if you've not passed already but anyone who has 50% out of the first 60% should be ok for the exam anyway I'd say.

The exam is a little different as it's hand written and it's never been something I've been good doing in regards to the given subject.

So you think if I have the 50% out of the 60% no matter what result I get in the exam I won't have to repeat, I'll be passed on the semester down to my CA results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NewCanyon

Pretty sure, I've yet to come across anytime different. I've had 50/50 ones before passed before the exam and I'm ashamed to admit made little impact in the exam, still passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I'm fairly certain you have to pass both the CA element and the exam element in their own right. That said if you have the marks from the CA you should not need to worry too much about the paper as one will compensate the other if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

macrubicon wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain you have to pass both the CA element and the exam element in their own right. That said if you have the marks from the CA you should not need to worry too much about the paper as one will compensate the other if needs be.

You dont need to pass both, just get a C overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Once you do the actual exam you're fine. I've failed exams but passed because of my CA.

Advertisement