Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pesticide for my lawn

• 06-05-2013 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

I have been noticing recently that my lawn in patches is very brown and there seems to always be a few birds pecking at these patches leaving holes all over the lawn. I also saw a badger in it last night who I assume has also been digging it up.

I read these good be indicators of insect larvae in the lawn, and that's what the birds and badger is after. Plus this could explain why the grass looks like its dying.

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of these larvae with a spray of some description.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you think you have larval infestations, try a nematode worm option - pesticide free, in the 'chemical' sense. no need to worry about other animals ingesting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

if you think you have larval infestations, try a nematode worm option - pesticide free, in the 'chemical' sense. no need to worry about other animals ingesting them.

Will do thanks for that I want rid of the larvae but dont want to harm any of the birds or the badger.

Do you know where I could get some of this I checked with a Garden Centre locally and they said it would have to be ordered specially and would cost about €90!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Try mr Middleton. Nematodes are pricey alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€15 for two packs which each treat 60sqm; which would be roughly 40ft x 30ft for a single application if you used two packets.

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/grow-your-own/

• Advertisement

Thats perfect thanks very much will give him a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Sound like leatherjackets to me.

Advertisement