Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer job

• 06-05-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm currently in third year and looking for a summer job. I am very interested in Aircraft and Aviation. I will do anything that will help me gain experience within the aviation industry. I can be relied upon to work independently and equally well within a team of people. To date my work experience includes working in an outdoor education centre as an assistant to an instructor. I have also looked after animals for people on holidays. I am we'll travelled,computer literate and a keen rower.

<snip>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Scotty15 wrote: »
    I'm currently in third year and looking for a summer job. I am very interested in Aircraft and Aviation. I will do anything that will help me gain experience within the aviation industry. I can be relied upon to work independently and equally well within a team of people. To date my work experience includes working in an outdoor education centre as an assistant to an instructor. I have also looked after animals for people on holidays. I am we'll travelled,computer literate and a keen rower.

<snip>

I have removed your contact information as it is frowned on to post it on the forum.

Welcome to the community however we are a forum and not a job site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A summer job in Aviation at 15(?), hmm I don't know mate.

You should look into work experience in Aviation during TY but do it now cos September is way too late. I think Dublin Airport gives work experience to TYs, not entirely sure.

I did my work experience in the Don and I applied in maybe May. When I got there I was glad I applied early because there were only 2 of us (out of 18) that didn't know someone in the Air Corps! The other guy had a father in the Naval Service so I'm not sure if he counts tbh. You won't really be working, it'll be a 1 week programme where they show you all the aircraft and parts of the airfield like the ATC, Fire and Rescue, even the bird control.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Thanks for the information. I will be 16 in July and I'm not sure if i can do work experience because I'm not doing TY . What is the Don ?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

What is the Don ?
    Baldonnel I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thanks for the information. I will be 16 in July and I'm not sure if i can do work experience because I'm not doing TY . What is the Don ?
    Baldonnel I'd imagine.

Yeah sorry I should have said Baldonnel.

I was talking about the Irish Air Corps' Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weston have been advertising for staff in the local papers recently, everything from ramp to office work, but I suspect you won't find anything at 15 due to the extremely limited hours 15 year olds can work.

MYOB wrote: »
    Weston have been advertising for staff in the local papers recently, everything from ramp to office work, but I suspect you won't find anything at 15 due to the extremely limited hours 15 year olds can work.

Oh, do you've a link to that, I live close enough to them and would be interested in working there...

Thanks for the replys i know I'm a bit young but I will be 16 in mid July and I would just like to gain experience in aviation.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry I should have said Baldonnel.

I was talking about the Irish Air Corps' Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel.

Thanks

Oh, do you've a link to that, I live close enough to them and would be interested in working there...

Local paper has barely discovered what the internet is. I can try find last weeks paper and type back in what the ad said.

Liffey Champion, that issue would have gone off-sale this morning unfortunately.

Knowing how disorganised my house is, I'm not sure which I'll find first - it, or the typewriter written letter I got from Darby Kennedy explaining the insurance reasons behind why they didn't do work experience shortly before it was sold to Mansfield!

• Advertisement

Local paper has barely discovered what the internet is. I can try find last weeks paper and type back in what the ad said.

Liffey Champion, that issue would have gone off-sale this morning unfortunately.

Knowing how disorganised my house is, I'm not sure which I'll find first - it, or the typewriter written letter I got from Darby Kennedy explaining the insurance reasons behind why they didn't do work experience shortly before it was sold to Mansfield!

If you could find it that'd be great thanks, there's hardly any work going for college students around the place, so to get an aviation one would make my summer.

I think I might have a copy of the Lucan Gazette from last week lying around if they thought to put it in that. I must check.

Found the paper. Not the letter from Capt Kennedy though ;)

Summarising:

Temporary staff, holiday/weekend/evening work in reception, bookkeeping, ramp, fuelling, cleaning/maintenance, grass cutting. Full driving licence needed, computer skills an advantage, email mary-at-conneelybuilders.com

Found the paper. Not the letter from Capt Kennedy though ;)

Summarising:

Temporary staff, holiday/weekend/evening work in reception, bookkeeping, ramp, fuelling, cleaning/maintenance, grass cutting. Full driving licence needed, computer skills an advantage, email mary-at-conneelybuilders.com

Thanks, won't have a full license for 3 weeks (if I'm lucky)... :( Oh well, maybe there might be something open then... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up anyways.

I'd take a guess that the full licence is only required so they know you aren't likely to crash a ramp vehicle. May as well throw your hat in telling them you've the test date.

Worth a shot I guess, I've been driving a while now and am more than confident behind the wheel, only a fomality to get the full license. I'll fire off an email sure and see how it goes...

Well I've sent in the CV, so hopefully they might be lenient on the whole full license thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Most places require a full licence for insurance reasons.

Most places require a full licence for insurance reasons.

That's what I figured, might be flexible enough to let me spend the first 3 weeks just doing the office, cleaning and admin type stuff, who knows, with the lack of summer jobs going out there I'd say they'll probably have their fair fill of applicants looking to get the job who already have full licenses. Can't hurt to try though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

That's what I figured, might be flexible enough to let me spend the first 3 weeks just doing the office, cleaning and admin type stuff, who knows, with the lack of summer jobs going out there I'd say they'll probably have their fair fill of applicants looking to get the job who already have full licenses. Can't hurt to try though...

Not at all :) Best of luck !

Advertisement