Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools and horses, The funniest comedy tv show of all time.

Options
  • 06-05-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Agree or disagree ? I absolutely love it. It never gets old. I got the complete DVD set of it, every single episode at Christmas as a gift, watched the whole thing and still watch it now and again. Guaranteed to cheer you up, and make you laugh. Great characters like Delboy, Rodney, Trigger, Boycie etc
    Do you love the show

Remember this classic scene ?

" Nice and cool son, nice and cool '

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

On Gold on Sky all day today till 11.10 tonight. I have the dvd as well:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

in no particular order

fr ted

mrs brown boys

monty python

fawlty towers

benny hill

2 ronnies

dads army

porridge

the goodlife

allo allo

Steptoe and son

are you being served

some mothers do ave em

rising damp

the young ones

fall and rise of Reginald perrin

hi de hi

it aint half hot mum

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irishrebelsc

On Gold on Sky all day today till 11.10 tonight. I have the dvd as well:)

Great show isn't it. Whose your favourite character in it ? For me it's Delboy, but a lot of great characters in the show. Trigger with his ' Alright, Dave' to Rodney is gas out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I disagree that it's the funniest....but it is pretty hilarious at times.

chandelier episode is the best. 'Lois the 13th or Louis the 14th'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I have the boxset too ive seen them hundreds of times i never tire of only fools best comedy show ever without doubt john sullivan was a genius

• Advertisement

in no particular order

fr ted

mrs brown boys

monty python

fawlty towers

benny hill

2 ronnies

dads army

porridge

the goodlife

allo allo

Steptoe and son

are you being served

some mothers do ave em

rising damp

the young ones

fall and rise of Reginald perrin

hi de hi

it aint half hot mum

And no mention of Only Fools and Horses ? ! Father Ted is funny, but not in the league of Only Fools and Horses. Mrs Browns boys I haven't watched it since it moved to BBC, but I have some DVDS of it from before it got commissioned by the bbc. Funny but again in my opinion not in the same league as OFOH. Some mothers do have' em was good... Fawlty Towers I remember watching that as a kid. Manwell was funny in it ! and the character Cleese played, can't remember his name ? Yeah none of em a patch on Only Fools and Horses, a show that spanned three decades and always funny. :) But each to their own

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I have the boxset too ive seen them hundreds of times i never tire of only fools best comedy show ever without doubt john sullivan was a genius

Sullivan an absolute legend of a man. I watched the documentary episode after I watched the entire series, and Sullivan was being interviewed in it. He seemed a really interesting man, and the kind of character you might meet every once in a while, kind of laid back, quiet spoken but funny. To think all the stories in Only Fools came from his writing, what a genius ! It was interesting also how Sullivan mentioned how his writing was influenced by real events , and his humour coming from his dad who he says was a funny man, but also from family he has from Cork, and Londoners ! So a bit of Irish influence there too with the humour. I love the show, it never gets old. Few shows you could watch over and over and enjoy every time.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I disagree that it's the funniest....but it is pretty hilarious at times.

chandelier episode is the best. 'Lois the 13th or Louis the 14th'

Aha, Yeah the chandelier episode was funny out ! Delboy and Rodders waiting with the blanket under it, while the grandfather is unscrewing the other one. Haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My favourite sitcom of af them all.

I've spent most of today whatching it on Gold when I should have been doing more constructive things !

Trigger's character always cracks me up, and I used to know someone just like Boycy when I lived in London. :)

It's a great show. Brother and myself are big fans.

One of the funniest parts of the entire show, in my opinion, is a line of dialogue between Del and Densil. Even today, it randomly pops into my head and completely cracks me up. It's genius, yet no one else I've ever seen watching the episode, or talking about the show, either laughs at it or remembers it.

It's the episode where Del and Rodney paint Densil's flat. When Del drops to Densil that he and Rodney are experienced painters...

It's at 1:35 in this video. It's brilliant.

Del Boy: As I used to say to my customers when I was in the painting and decorating game, I used to say "it's your money, it's your choice!".
    Densil: You never told me you used to be a painter and decorater?
    Del: Oh yeah, it's been the family trade for generations, ain't it Rodney? There you are, see. But demand got too much, had to give it up in the end.

It doesn't even get a laugh on the laugh track :rolleyes: . 'Demand got too much, so i had to give it up'. It makes no sense whatsoever and it's said so fluently and smoothly. I just think it's one of those small subtle things that really makes you laugh when you actually stop and think about it. :)

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    My favourite sitcom of af them all.

I've spent most of today whatching it on Gold when I should have been doing more constructive things !

Trigger's character always cracks me up, and I used to know someone just like Boycy when I lived in London. :)

Aha Yeah Boycie is a legend ! and That laugh of his... unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'm a lifelong fan. Absolutely love it. The half hour episodes are obviously top drawer, but it really came into its own when it went to the longer format. John Sullivan really started to flex his dramatic muscles at that stage. Rodney's wedding reception in 'Little Problems' is just heartbreaking. We really get to see that Del has been a father figure to Rodney for all those years. It's so poignant.

I just wish that they didn't make those final three episodes. 'Time on Our Hands' was the perfect end to the series. The Trotters finally 'made it'. Bringing them back to ruin them all over again was cruel, and it really compromised the overall narrative that Sullivan seemed to be striving for from season 6 onwards.

But yeah, it's top drawer. Is it ever on telly anymore? :p

It's a great show. Brother and myself are big fans.

One of the funniest parts of the entire show, in my opinion, is a line of dialogue between Del and Densil. Even today, it randomly pops into my head and completely cracks me up. It's genius, yet no one else I've ever seen watching the episode, or talking about the show, either laughs at it or remembers it.

It's the episode where Del and Rodney paint Densil's flat. When Del drops to Densil that he and Rodney are experienced painters...

It's at 1:35 in this video. It's brilliant.

Del Boy: As I used to say to my customers when I was in the painting and decorating game, I used to say "it's your money, it's your choice!".
    Densil: You never told me you used to be a painter and decorater?
    Del: Oh yeah, it's been the family trade for generations, ain't it Rodney? There you are, see. But demand got too much, had to give it up in the end.

It doesn't even get a laugh on the laugh track :rolleyes: . 'Demand got too much, so i had to give it up'. It makes no sense whatsoever and it's said so fluently and smoothly. I just think it's one of those small subtle things that really makes you laugh when you actually stop and think about it. :)

Haha Yeah great episode that too. Funny when Denzils wife comes back, after the lad's buying the canary because they thought they had killed it with the paint fumes, and the bird had been dead all along Ha.
    Myself, my brother and my mother are big fans of the show.

I never noticed that before, and it's one of my favourite episodes. Haha. Cheers. That's after making my day.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I'm a lifelong fan. Absolutely love it. The half hour episodes are obviously top drawer, but it really came into its own when it went to the longer format. John Sullivan really started to flex his dramatic muscles at that stage. Rodney's wedding reception in 'Little Problems' is just heartbreaking. We really get to see that Del has been a father figure to Rodney for all those years. It's so poignant.

I just wish that they didn't make those final three episodes. 'Time on Our Hands' was the perfect end to the series. The Trotters finally 'made it'. Bringing them back to ruin them all over again was cruel, and it really compromised the overall narrative that Sullivan seemed to be striving for from season 6 onwards.

But yeah, it's top drawer. Is it ever on telly anymore? :p

Ah yeah when the lads finally become millionaries, it was great. Was great to see them finally do it. The car scene after the auction where they are in shock, and then finally start celebrating, shaking the car from jumping in it so much ha! I know what you mean in regards to the final three episodes, although there were laughs in them, They were also missing Uncle Albert as the actor Buster Merryfield who played him died in 1999.. He was great! and also Mike the barman. Can't think of the actors name, died at a young age of 50 from a heart attack. Hence why in those episodes it's Sid who usually ran the Café took over the Nags head pub, and the story being Mike is in jail for fraud. I love the show entirely, but yeah, would have been nice to see the lads be millionaires at the end. Your right about the emotion in some episodes too. I think the saddest scene was Granddads funeral, when Rodney is annoyed at Delboy because he thinks his partying and drinking with the lads laughing it up is because he got over their grandfathers death already, and then Delboy loses it with Rodney and Rodney see's how Del is really feeling. That scene you mention is emotional too, the simply red track playing makes it more so ! But there are certainly more laughs than anything else in it. The genius of Sullivan though being that amidst the laughs he brought some serious issues into the show, and emotional scenes. And lovers of the show could really feel for the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Definitely the greatest sitcom ever, my favorite is batman and robin at the funeral.

I think the saddest scene was Granddads funeral, when Rodney is annoyed at Delboy because he thinks his partying and drinking with the lads laughing it up is because he got over their grandfathers death already, and then Delboy loses it with Rodney and Rodney see's how Del is really feeling.

Yeah that's excellent. I read that Lennard Pearce (Granddad) had just died before that, and they had only just buried him for real. Then they had to go and shoot that scene. Very sad. But you're right, it's all about the laughs at the end of the day.

'Yuppie Love' is starting on Gold+1 now. I have an exam in 14 hours time, so I really shouldn't be watchi... **** it. I'll watch it. :D

Definitely the greatest sitcom ever, my favorite is batman and robin at the funeral.

I've seen that episode so many times. I really shouldn't find it so funny after all these years. But when the Batman music kicks in I just go to pieces. The state of the two of them. Haha. Excellent stuff.

Haha Yeah very good that ! When the two of them are running at the muggers ...And when they arrive at the funeral going ' nananananana ' spraying all the party foam and everybody there dressed for the funeral.

Yeah that's excellent. I read that Lennard Pearce (Granddad) had just died before that, and they had only just buried him for real. Then they had to go and shoot that scene. Very sad. But you're right, it's all about the laughs at the end of the day.

'Yuppie Love' is starting on Gold+1 now. I have an exam in 14 hours time, so I really shouldn't be watchi... **** it. I'll watch it. :D
    That's right yeah, he had died soon before...very unexpectedly from some rare illness. Sad that. They did well to find a replacement so quickly in Uncle Albert.. well not a replacement so to speak, but somebody to be the third occupant of the house who was also funny and the elder ! Hard to say who is funnier, Grandad or Uncle Albert ? different types of characters, both funny.

Uncle Albert with his many ' During da warrrrrrrrrr' stories haha

• Advertisement

I never noticed that before, and it's one of my favourite episodes. Haha. Cheers. That's after making my day.

It really is a genius line in my opinion. It's the sublety that makes it so funny, I think. They didn't have to tell you it was funny, and it slips under your nose so many times (I don't know how many times I'd watched that episode and one time I just suddenly noticed what he said).

Really adds to the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Love it. Probably my favourite sitcom all right. Its a bit derided, wrongly so I think, and its mainly down to its mainstream appeal. It would be hard to find another show with so many laughs packed into each episode though. The casting couldnt be more perfect either.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

That was some suit that Trigg was sporting.

Agricola wrote: »
    Love it. Probably my favourite sitcom all right. Its a bit derided, wrongly so I think, and its mainly down to its mainstream appeal. It would be hard to find another show with so many laughs packed into each episode though. The casting couldnt be more perfect either.

Perfect casting. Great laughs, and loveable characters

That was some suit that Trigg was sporting.
    Hahaha. Yeah, I might go buy meself a suit like that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wouldn't top my list. Fawlty Towers for me all the way. So well written, brilliantly plotted and fantastic dialogue ("I'm a doctor, I'm a doctor and I want my sausages" is just one random line that always cracks me up) ALso some great slapstick moments. The "funny walk" in the Germans episode is one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Almost fell off the chair laughing first time I saw it.

Also' Father Ted, Blackadder, Royle Family, The Office, Spaced. All better than Fools and Horses imo. And Mrs Browns Boys ???? Really ???? Doesn't even qualify as a comedy in my view. Painfully unfunny and the punchlines practically have sirens on them to warn you they're on the way.

trashcan wrote: »
    Wouldn't top my list. Fawlty Towers for me all the way. So well written, brilliantly plotted and fantastic dialogue ("I'm a doctor, I'm a doctor and I want my sausages" is just one random line that always cracks me up) ALso some great slapstick moments. The "funny walk" in the Germans episode is one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Almost fell off the chair laughing first time I saw it.

Also' Father Ted, Blackadder, Royle Family, The Office, Spaced. All better than Fools and Horses imo. And Mrs Browns Boys ???? Really ???? Doesn't even qualify as a comedy in my view. Painfully unfunny and the punchlines practically have sirens on them to warn you they're on the way.
    Awh well each to their own. I'd count Only Fools and Horses funnier than any tv comedy show ever. Out of those you mention, Fr Ted was good ! short lived though . Royle Family. not bad. Mrs Browns I've not seen since it went to the BBC. But I have some DVDS of it from years ago before it became a series, when it was just DVDS were released of it.. It's alright, not a patch on fools and horses. Haven't watched it in years though. Fawlty Towers, Not seen it in years, but Yeah some laughs in it, again imo not a patch on Only Fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I have spent all weekend watching it even though I have all the box sets. My favourite episodes; to hull and back, the peckham spring episode (the miracle of peckham I think it was called) and the unlucky winner is. Actually I could go on. The chain gang and the class of 62 also.

My favourite scenes are the one where rodney is the chief mourner and leads the funeral up a one way street. Just before that boycey tells albert his mini cab has arrived when he sees the hearse.

Looking at an old school photo:

Del; And we had camaraderie.
    Trigger; was he the Italian boy

I have spent all weekend watching it even though I have all the box sets. My favourite episodes; to hull and back, the peckham spring episode (the miracle of peckham I think it was called) and the unlucky winner is. Actually I could go on. The chain gang and the class of 62 also.

My favourite scenes are the one where rodney is the chief mourner and leads the funeral up a one way street. Just before that boycey tells albert his mini cab has arrived when he sees the hearse.

Looking at an old school photo:

Del; And we had camaraderie.
    Trigger; was he the Italian boy

Aha, Yeah the miracle of Peckham, when first saw that was thinking before we find out what was going on, if Del was becoming a religious man ha ! But then we find out the scam he had in mind. The Peckham Spring episode another good one, the lads selling the tap water as a branded Peckham spring ha. Class of 62 also good, when Roy Slater arrives, and the surprise when we find out he was Raquels ex husband ! lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Del's telling the two girls Rodney's a tennis player & he's his agent (i think) when trying to chat them up, but Rodney's not paying attention :D

Advertisement