Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools and horses, The funniest comedy tv show of all time.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Del's telling the two girls Rodney's a tennis player & he's his agent (i think) when trying to chat them up, but Rodney's not paying attention :D

Just seen that episode there now,its one of my favourites that one and the episode where the two lads hit the town on Xmas night and rodney carries out his book about body language :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

trashcan wrote: »
    Wouldn't top my list. Fawlty Towers for me all the way.

Another of my favourites. It's a shame they only made 12 episodes.
    trashcan wrote: »
    Royle Family, The Office, Spaced. All better than Fools and Horses imo.

All excellent, but they're all so different from each other, and different from Only Fools. Spaced in particular. It just occupies a world of its own. I guess this is where comparisons become pointless. But we've been blessed with some truly great telly over the years. I think we'll all agree on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Love it but I really love the atmosphere of London back in the day it captures, real working
    Class people just trying to earn a living.

It has everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Seinfeld is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It is a classic and one of my favourite shows ever. I remember watching the episodes for the first time as a teenager in the 1990s and they often had me in stitches. The 50 min episodes contains some of the best comedy writing ever.

The only major mis-step was the continuation of the Christmas episodes after they won their millions. That episode was a perfect way to end the series but the additional three Christmas specials did feel like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel and felt somewhat disconnected from the previous episodes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

...Funny when Denzils wife comes back, after the lad's buying the canary because they thought they had killed it with the paint fumes, and the bird had been dead all along....

You've just highlighted the brilliance of Only Fools, there's always an underlying gag, which is only revealed right at the very end of the show, and always serves to set the three of them right back to square one. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like it. Like all great shows, you can watch again and again. My favourites are the peckham spring, the chandelier and the gold chains and favourite scene is trigger talking about his old broom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have to say, I never got into it. I did watch a few episodes on gold as my father watches them but the emotiobal scenes always bugged me. They seemed too forced and formulaic. They always ended with a joke to relieve the tension.

It does deserve the love its shown here, but there is something about this show that does not fit with me and I can't put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

David Jason is quite underrated imo.
    He made Delboy his own- such a great character.
    Then to go on and embody totally different characters in both drama and comedy.
    The comedy is actually very sharp for all its broad appeal. And the stories are always great.

Actually I'm just recalling the vicar's hat gag at Grandad's funeral.
    The ease with which they gently mock Delboy's sentimentality, in the context of quite a poignant episode overall.
    Always the mark of a good comedy imo, combining pathos and humour so adeptly.
    The gag is so unexpected as well. Makes it funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

There is a Stewart Lee youtube link to dispute everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Fatty Owels.....um, sorry!, Falty Towers ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The Batman and Robin clip. the funniest thing I've seen on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Deffo in my top 10, but not my number 1. Dunno if I could even pick a number one really. ( Probably Fr Ted, if you put a gun to head.)Think it was very much a product of its time though, and there are loads of things that they got away with 25 years ago, that they couldn't get away with now. Like making fun of "poofters" and what not. I watch it from time to time and it does seem very dated at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Only fools is definitely up there as one of the best and it's so true that you can watch them again and again. Another series I love is Minder from round about the same time as OFAH. Arthur Daly is a great character and a bit of a wheeler dealer just like Del.

Footoo wrote: »
    There is a Stewart Lee youtube link to dispute everything.

Love Stew, but I think he's off the mark on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Very funny but not the best by a long shot. There's several I would put ahead of it...

Blackadder (maybe not the first series, but any of the other 3)
    Fawlty Towers
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Father Ted
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

have to disagree simply because its too close.

A photo finish between this, fr. ted, fawlty towers and perhaps the winner for me if only just - monthy pythons flying circus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

irishthump wrote: »
    Very funny but not the best by a long shot. There's several I would put ahead of it...

Blackadder (maybe not the first series, but any of the other 3)
    Fawlty Towers
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Father Ted
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

You have it pretty much nailed there apart from Peep Show, Cheers and Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

You have it pretty much nailed there apart from Peep Show, Cheers and Simpsons.

Totally forgot about Cheers, and MASH is another.

To be honest I never thought of the Simpsons, probably because it's not the best TV comedy show.... it's the best TV show ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Love Only Fools.
    Two other brilliant episodes that I don't think were mentioned....
    the one where they mixed up grandad's and Boycie's Great Dane's tablets.
    And the one where Del went Hang gliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Only Fools and Horses is the greatest of all time. I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the later ones with Uncle Albert to the early ones with Grandad. Some classic early ones too but I loved Uncle Albert. That scene where Dell is trying to sell the horse riding helmets (Trotter's Crash Turbans) is an absolute classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

irishthump wrote: »
    Totally forgot about Cheers, and MASH is another.

To be honest I never thought of the Simpsons, probably because it's not the best TV comedy show.... it's the best TV show ever!

Not to mention the absolutely fantastic Taxi with Danny DeVito, Christopher "Doc Brown" Lloyd and Andy Kaufmann, which is sadly, largely forgotten due to a lack of repeats because comedy series before Seinfeld (TAXI ran between 78 and 83) are by and large seen as not fit for re runs anymore. I grew up watching MASH and loved it, the anti war and overall Liberal ethos really influenced my understanding of the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Good show but not the best IMHO,

My own selection would be

1. Fawlty Towers
    2. Blackadder
    3. Porridge
    4. Steptoe and Son
    5. Only Fools & Horses

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not to mention the absolutely fantastic Taxi with Danny DeVito, Christopher "Doc Brown" Lloyd and Andy Kaufmann, which is sadly, largely forgotten due to a lack of repeats because comedy series before Seinfeld (TAXI ran between 78 and 83) are by and large seen as not fit for re runs anymore. I grew up watching MASH and loved it, the anti war and overall Liberal ethos really influenced my understanding of the World.

Taxi is being repeated at the moment. Two episodes per day 6pm - 7pm on CBS Drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

Love Stew, but I think he's off the mark on this one.

Lee has admitted in interviews that much of what he does in his routines is something of an exaggeration for comic effect. He likes to point out the general ridiculousness of polls as well and what a skewed method judging something they so often tend to be. That said, Del falling through the bar hatch is about as perfectly executed a bit of comedy as you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Only Fools... is the best for me. They never seemed to rely on the same gags. It was the same characters delivering the laughs but they were always different jokes. These are some of my favourites:

And I can't find my favourite moment on Youtube. It's at the end of the church episode, "The Miracle of Peckham". All of the international news stations are there filming Del just as the priest finds out that he faked the whole situation. Del gets dragged away by the priest and Rodney steps up to deliver one of the funniest lines of all time into the television cameras:
    Sorry viewers, the Lord's work calls. Rodney Trotter signing off.

Advertisement