Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon - 31/08/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

When I see the words "Seanic countryside" in race literature it normal means only one thing. Hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Seem to be covering all angles

The 13.1mile course starts just outside the Tullamore Harriers Stadium, heading out through the scenic countryside before looping back to town and finishing with an uplifting lap on the tartan track in the stadium. The race is one lap and while it is generally a flat course, it is best described as an undulating run (rolling hills included).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Im well familiar with this route and its fine.As a club, it runs its events well.
    Should be a good atmosphere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 straight a

I agree.Have been at a good few events in Tullamore Harriers over the years.
    They are a very welcoming bunch of people,who sure love their athletics!Who could forget the show they put on for the senior x country this year.They are celebrating their 60th birthday so i would say they will pull out all the stops.
    PS
    from memory of the area i think its fairly flat countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

i agree with the above. this half marathon course has a few drags ok but certainly a good challenging course in prep for DCM or any marathon. the National half marathon is in early August this year so no clashing there. and at 25euro its thumbs up for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Always away

I bet you won't get a better organized race anywhere in the country than in Tullamore harriers . If the Cross C held this year is anything to go by and 2 years ago... They are Pros at holding athletic events and the club is a credit to Irish athletics... Congrats on your 60th anniversary ... I have just book the race and looking forward to and the price is right at €25.

25 EURO.Thats great value!I think I will take the plunge and enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Serious promotion of the race going on here today! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Serious promotion of the race going on here today! ;)

You can't argue that they don't put on a good show if they cross c & T&F events are anything to go by... Some other half marathons are charging €40 at a special offer... A few of us will be getting on the train in Galway and might make a night of it in Tullamore after the half marathon .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

You can't argue that they don't put on a good show if they cross c & T&F events are anything to go by... Some other half marathons are charging €40 at a special offer... A few of us will be getting on the train in Galway and might make a night of it in Tullamore after the half marathon .

No wasn't argueing that at all. The club has a very good rep and will probably be organised excellently. I was more just observing the two new posters where their only posts have been on this thread. :)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    No wasn't argueing that at all. The club has a very good rep and will probably be organised excellently. I was more just observing the two new posters where their only posts have been on this thread. :)

Fair enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Was lucky enough to train with the Harriers a few years ago for a few months and the internal club races that they used to organise were of a standard that would put regular races to shame so I'd imagine they'll put on a very good show. Timing would be right for me in marathon training so I've marked this one down as probably my next 'A' race. Not sure of what the route will be but ran one 10 mile internal club race there and the course was good, no notable hills apart from being rolling so I'd expect it to be similar. Finishing on a track is a rarity to get in road race so that'll be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 martymo

Just been reading the posts about this race as I was looking online for a half marathon to run later in the Summer. I know the Tullamore area from when I used to work there a few years ago and the course shouldn't be too bad, hill wise. There are no serious hills in that part of town at all. It is very reasonably priced and they seem to always put on a great show.
    Somebody mentioned that finishing on the track will be a bonus, and for me, someone who is just getting into running this will be a huge highlight as I will never get a chance to run on a track for a race........Gonna pencil this one in for myself later in the summer.

And before anyone says it, yes this is my first time posting on this website, though I do regularly seek info and opinions about different topics on it so will be back again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I have been training for the Dublin marathon (following Hal Higdon novice 2).

This weekend, I am due to run 17 miles as part of this plan.

I was thinking of taking part in the Tullamore 1/2 marathon next week.

The thing is, I have never taken part in any run at all. I had intended to do a 1/2 marathon earlier in July but because of 1 thing or another, I couldnt make to any suitable one. So in the HH plan, I just ran 13.1 miles by myself for the week of the 1/2 marathon.

Would the Tullamore course suit a beginner like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Yep.Ive no connection with the club but know the course. Its very fair,and the finish on the track is a nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

I have been training for the Dublin marathon (following Hal Higdon novice 2).

This weekend, I am due to run 17 miles as part of this plan.

I was thinking of taking part in the Tullamore 1/2 marathon next week.

The thing is, I have never taken part in any run at all. I had intended to do a 1/2 marathon earlier in July but because of 1 thing or another, I couldnt make to any suitable one. So in the HH plan, I just ran 13.1 miles by myself for the week of the 1/2 marathon.

Would the Tullamore course suit a beginner like me?

I'm in the same position as yourself. Never raced a half marathon before but I'm training for the full marathon in October. I have a couple of friends who train with Tullamore harriers who have been running this route in preperation for next week and they say its ideal for beginners training for the marathon. Just a couple of hills but nothing major.

Hoping to put in a time of 1hr 40mins but will have to see how I feel on the day.

BTW I'm from Tullamore living in Inchicore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

brennarr wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as yourself. Never raced a half marathon before but I'm training for the full marathon in October. I have a couple of friends who train with Tullamore harriers who have been running this route in preperation for next week and they say its ideal for beginners training for the marathon. Just a couple of hills but nothing major.

Hoping to put in a time of 1hr 40mins but will have to see how I feel on the day.

BTW I'm from Tullamore living in Inchicore :D

Well I have signed up for it so will see how it goes. Hopefully, it will be ok. Only ever been in Tuallamore once before, for a hurling match a few years ago. So it should be an experience anyway! I wont put a time down on paper for myself, as it will put me under too much pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Just signed up too, doing it as a step back LSR so should finish around the 2 hour mark if anyone wants company or someone to pace them (not sure if there are official pacers or not.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Going to give this a go as it is my first long distance race my longest being 5k prior to training for this. I'm local so it will be a thrill for me and as some already said finishing on the track will be a highlight.

I'm dying of a flu so has anyone got any tips on how to beat it by Saturday?

just getting home after doing the tullamore 1/2 marathon.
    didnt run as well as i thought i might.but i really enjoyed the day.
    great buz around the place and nice set up for parking ect
    not to mention the food!!
    well done to all in tullamore harriers.
    keep up the good work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Ran this yesterday. Eased into it after a slowish start. Really enjoyed and will be back to race nxt year. Great showers and spread afterwards....one of the best races I ran in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

+1 for this one... A great event. Plenty of space to chat/warm up ect around the club grounds before the race. Plenty of refreshments afterwards to, any amount of it :)
    Well done to all who organised helped out, was plenty of support/marshals around the course and very friendly atmosphere.
    I'll make the trip again next year all going well...

Really getting to like these club events, just seem to put more thought into it from a runners perspective, seem to care more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Definitely one for next year. A good honest course, few hills but no killers. Probably not PB material but there's more to life than chasing numbers.

Fantastically organised and run, very friendly and efficient and the facilities were top notch, tons of parking, great stewards on the course and space to warm up.

Personally, I like a medal as a memento but at 25 euro you can't complain. If I had the choice I would pay an optional extra fiver for the medal so that's the only thing I would suggest.

Overall, top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

This was my first half marathon. I was very happy with my times and I have to say the event set-up was top notch. Great course and well marshalled. Plenty of water (and the odd sweet) along the way.

10/10 would run again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭gammy_knees

Have to agree with all of the above. Very well organised and at such a price, these club races are the way to go for me anyway.
    The road was open but it was so well marshalled it wasn't really an issue.
    Well done Harriers.

Advertisement