Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group island hopping..... to pre-book or not to pre-book? :/

Options
  • 06-05-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everybody,

Myself and 7 friends (all girls aged 21 - 25) are planning on going island hopping for ten days at the start of June, flying in and out of Athens. I know its not long but we're restricted by timing and different schedules with such a big group! :) We were planning on going to 3 island, thinking Santorini, Ios and Mykonos or maybe winging it a bit?

Can anyone offer any advice for travelling in a group? We're wondering how much we have to have pre booked/planned? i.e. should we pick definite destinations, book accommodation, ferry's etc...Were wondering if we be forced in to more expensive accommodation if we all wanted to stay in the same place if we don't pre-book? Or if our time would be further restricted by fully booked ferry's?

Trying to keep cost to a min as were all travelling on varying budgets across the group! :D

Love to hear any advice ye have, also any suggestions on must see place's/activities/pubs/clubs on the above mentioned island's would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Wing it! Greece is usually quiet enough in June so you should be fine. The only place that might be crowded is Santorini, but you can stay in one of the beach resorts (Kamari or Perissa) cheaply enough. If you decide to do this then you can move on easily enough if you don't like somewhere, or you can decide to stay on in a place that you really like.

Bring a guidebook and decide among yourselves which area you want to stay in. You can either book a day or so in advance using the web (there are plenty of internet cafes) or just wait till you arrive at the port - there are plenty of people waiting for the ferries hawking accommodation. If you decide to use them, make sure that you are not dumped in rooms in the middle of nowhere - make sure they have a map and don't be bullied into accepting rooms that you're not altogether happy with.

Don't expect prices to be rock bottom - Santorini and Mykonos, particularly, are expensive.

Book your ferries a day or so in advance and beware of strikes!! I've had about eight trips to Greece and every one has been disrupted in some way by a transport strike. Allow 48 hours to get back to Athens, just in case and consider spending your last night in Athens because of this.

Advertisement