Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chelsea Away - Take the Bridge!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I've never been BAE's biggest fan but I dont think you can blame the guy too much. Last night (and in most matches) all that Hudd, Holtby and Parker did was pass the ball sideways over and over again. Eventually the ball get played back to Benny and he plays it forward, his accuracy isnt great but at least he's been positive. I'd say he played more forward passes then anyone last night. Its just goes to show the lack of creativity in midfield, esp when dembele is missing.

Whatever happened to the days when we created 10-15 clear chances for Ade and Defoe? Sure it was frustrating to see them miss most of them but at least we looked dangerous.

Also, it pains me to say it but Parker has to move on. He's not even up to playing as backup to Sandro next season.

Yeah maybe you are right. he did try and go forward.

Did ye see how many times lloris had the ball and was furiously looking around for someone to make a quick throw to and he ended up just shaking his head in frustration.

Holtby's style of football is horrible. Time and time again this is what he does. Walker might have the ball, holtby runs half the pitch and says " pass it to me" - walker gives it to him, holtby passes it straight back to him and then takes off back to his original position again. Is that supposed to be attacking midfielder football ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Harry had VDV and Modric, Souness either loves Harry or dislikes AVB, relic is a very apt word. He may have a point if we finish 5th. Its below where Harry got us last season. The fact that its a new manager and new players settling in negates his point also we may finish 5th with more points than we had last season. Who gives a sh1t what Souness thinks. Fuk him.

What is the point in changing manager then? I mean HR finished 4th, got sacked/left and we bring in a new manager to do a better job. If we finish 5th AVB has not succeeded in reaching his and the clubs target. I totally agreed with Souness last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

What is the point in changing manager then? I mean HR finished 4th, got sacked/left and we bring in a new manager to do a better job. If we finish 5th AVB has not succeeded in reaching his and the clubs target. I totally agreed with Souness last night.

You have to look at a lot of things, we are not Chelsea with a 1 year plan. HR never rotated players, he played his best 11 at all times until they dropped from fatique. HR never used any tactics, he just sent the lads out to play, no trying players in different positions. With AVB I believe the team spirit is a lot stronger, we have the ability to fight back after going a goal down, HR never got the players to fight back.

I said on appointment of AVB I'd be happy with top 6 in the first season, especially after losing Modric, VDV and King. We also took big blows in losing Sandro and Kaboul early in the season. We are not as strong as we were last year, but yet we are pulling the rabbit out of the hat with a limited squad.

You have to look at a lot of things, we are not Chelsea with a 1 year plan. HR never rotated players, he played his best 11 at all times until they dropped from fatique. HR never used any tactics, he just sent the lads out to play, no trying players in different positions. With AVB I believe the team spirit is a lot stronger, we have the ability to fight back after going a goal down, HR never got the players to fight back.

I said on appointment of AVB I'd be happy with top 6 in the first season, especially after losing Modric, VDV and King. We also took big blows in losing Sandro and Kaboul early in the season. We are not as strong as we were last year, but yet we are pulling the rabbit out of the hat with a limited squad.

We added one of the best keepers in the world, Verts ( who is in the Premier league team of the year), Siggy ( who lots of teams were after), Dembele (who is class) and Dempesy ( who is a proven Premier league goalscorer).
    Limited squad?
    The football ( no tactics?) we played under HR was much more entertaining than under AVB. Only a blinkered Spurs fan would disagree. Watch the Wigan, Southamton, Fulham games again and tell me more about the master tactician AVB is supposed to be. Why if AVB is such a good manager does the team seem to only play in the last 20 minutes lately? If he makes great tactical changes during a game is it too much to ask for him to get his selection right at the start of a match.

We added one of the best keepers in the world, Verts ( who is in the Premier league team of the year), Siggy ( who lots of teams were after), Dembele (who is class) and Dempesy ( who is a proven Premier league goalscorer).
    Limited squad?
    The football ( no tactics?) we played under HR was much more entertaining than under AVB. Only a blinkered Spurs fan would disagree. Watch the Wigan, Southamton, Fulham games again and tell me more about the master tactician AVB is supposed to be. Why if AVB is such a good manager does the team seem to only play in the last 20 minutes lately? If he makes great tactical changes during a game is it too much to ask for him to get his selection right at the start of a match.

We are still missing a playmaker (Modric) and someone who can play in the hole (VDV), what we have signed are not nearly as good, although I'm confident Dembele with Sandro will work well in future, we still need someone to play in the hole, Dempsey is not this player. You have a short memory if you don't remember how badly we played under HR last yr once the slump started, this is with a stronger established squad. Being able to re-adjust and make second half changes to affect the game is something Harry couldn't do, it's something I admire AVB for (and many admire SAF for). You cannot predict what tactics another manager uses until you see their shape and see what needs changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Limited squad?

You know, earlier in the season Spurs were conceding alot of late goals. AVB seen the problem, the media was on his back. He addressed the media by saying he'll handle to issue. Two weeks later Spurs went on a run in the league of not conceding past the 40th minute for months. I'm not going to say an exact amount of matches as I can't quite put my finger on it but it lasted a while.

That is one of plenty of reasons why he's a better manager than Harry Redknapp. Redknapp never fixed a problem like that at Spurs, please show an example though if I'm wrong.

Regardless of whether Redknapp was still manager or not we were going to lose those players. Based on the second half of last season I seriously couldn't see Harry achieving a top 5 finish this season. He had run out of ideas.

This topic is being talked to death and is getting old. AVB is just about to finish his first season with the club and even without CL it's a good achievement. Next season is where we can truly judge and gauge his ability to be successful at Spurs.

There's a reason why Real Madrid are rumoured to be interested in AVB.

We are still missing a playmaker (Modric) and someone who can play in the hole (VDV), what we have signed are not nearly as good, although I'm confident Dembele with Sandro will work well in future, we still need someone to play in the hole, Dempsey is not this player. You have a short memory if you don't remember how badly we played under HR last yr once the slump started, this is with a stronger established squad. Being able to re-adjust and make second half changes to affect the game is something Harry couldn't do, it's something I admire AVB for (and many admire SAF for). You cannot predict what tactics another manager uses until you see their shape and see what needs changing.

Well then why buy Dempsey, Siggy and the little fat German if they are not good enough to play in the hole. Who gave the instructions to buy these players? Levy or Avb or a combination? You cannot complain that we don't have certain players when we buy the wrong ones.
    I do agree that we are missing a playmaker ( pity about Mouthino) but i was pleasantly surprised by how good Demeble is.
    Your last point about AVB making changes during a game is certainly valid but my main gripe is why don't we got out an attack teams right from the go. Changing things when 2-1 down at Wigan and coming out with a draw may sound good but what about trying to go ahead in the game before trying to rescue it. Forget about the oppositions strenghths/weaknesses and shape and concentrate on getting the best out of our attacking players. The majority of our play this season has been about keeping possession without any end product. Our best game this season was Inter at home when we went right at them. I think AVB sometimes is guilty of overanalysing.
    Saying all that it was good to see the team fight back last night and show some steel in a fixture where we have been traditionally second best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Yeah Benny was awful, offered nothing either way, he doesn't really seem to give a bóllocks. Is Rose the answer? Pains me to say it but Dawson was shown up pretty badly, I'll just leave it at that. He must know his standards have slipped pretty badly.

Nobody took control at the back? We looked atrocious at set pieces, Stoke will have a field day. Vertonghen didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

Agreed...a draw at the bridge is nothing to be sniffed at, considering there midfield over ours.

Also the manager deserves credit, tactically he's very shrewd, just doesn't have the players to implement his plan at the moment. Under Harry we'd have been stuffed 4-5.

Christ lads, I think some people are being over critical of our lads performances last night. That was possibly the most attack minded team to come at us this year, the defence was pulled all over the place. The fact we got a result and it was away makes me think it was an excellent performance from all. Not many teams could have felt with them much better.

irishmover wrote: »
    You know, earlier in the season Spurs were conceding alot of late goals. AVB seen the problem, the media was on his back. He addressed the media by saying he'll handle to issue. Two weeks later Spurs went on a run in the league of not conceding past the 40th minute for months. I'm not going to say an exact amount of matches as I can't quite put my finger on it but it lasted a while.

That is one of plenty of reasons why he's a better manager than Harry Redknapp. Redknapp never fixed a problem like that at Spurs, please show an example though if I'm wrong.

Harry never had to address the issue as used to score more goals than the opposition. This is simplifying the issue obviously but you should get the point. We attacked teams, took the game to them and not waited until midway through the second half to make changes to rescue points.

Well then why buy Dempsey, Siggy and the little fat German if they are not good enough to play in the hole. Who gave the instructions to buy these players? Levy or Avb or a combination? You cannot complain that we don't have certain players when we buy the wrong ones.
    I do agree that we are missing a playmaker ( pity about Mouthino) but i was pleasantly surprised by how good Demeble is.
    Your last point about AVB making changes during a game is certainly valid but my main gripe is why don't we got out an attack teams right from the go. Changing things when 2-1 down at Wigan and coming out with a draw may sound good but what about trying to go ahead in the game before trying to rescue it. Forget about the oppositions strenghths/weaknesses and shape and concentrate on getting the best out of our attacking players. The majority of our play this season has been about keeping possession without any end product. Our best game this season was Inter at home when we went right at them. I think AVB sometimes is guilty of overanalysing.
    Saying all that it was good to see the team fight back last night and show some steel in a fixture where we have been traditionally second best.

Did AVB buy Dempsey? I'm sure it was a last minute Levy purchase.

I was sure Siggy could play in the hole, but after a few months of in and out of our selections I'm not so sure now (last night being the exception). Dembele is the ideal one to play there, this means we need a playmaker with Sandro in the middle and push Dembele forward. I'd sell Dempsey and Siggy tbh. Holtby, I'm not so sure on yet, he cannot turn quick enough to play in the hole, not sure where he should play, still not decided on whether he's good enough.

• Advertisement

Harry never had to address the issue as used to score more goals than the opposition. This is simplifying the issue obviously but you should get the point. We attacked teams, took the game to them and not waited until midway through the second half to make changes to rescue points.

Lets simplify it even further. January 2012 - May 2012.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Christ lads, I think some people are being over critical of our lads performances last night. That was possibly the most attack minded team to come at us this year, the defence was pulled all over the place. The fact we got a result and it was away makes me think it was an excellent performance from all. Not many teams could have felt with them much better.

Quoting this to remind me of a time when I've seen Saab Ed positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Bodie Doyle, I must say I disagree with a lot of your points.

Firstly, I don't think even Harry Redknapp agreed with what Graeme Souness said last night. When Harry Redknapp prostituted his wares in order to get the England job - that did not only cost him his Tottenham job, but it also cost us Champions League football and the chance to see Modric and VDV in a Spurs jersey this season.

Dempsey, Siggy and Vertonghen were not AVB's purchases. Though, I will admit that Vertonghen has been brilliant. The other two were gambles on Levy's part. Obviously Siggy had lots of potential, I think he's still to fulfil this and his Tottenham career has a future. While the Dempsey purchase was a Levy-esque gamble. Due to time-constraints he could negotiate a 'snip' price with Fulham, thus £6m. One season on, do you think we will be able to sell Dempsey at a profit? Thus gamble failed.

You also said, "The football ( no tactics?) we played under HR was much more entertaining than under AVB. Only a blinkered Spurs fan would disagree." How far can entertainment get you? I guess eaten bread is soon forgotten. Do you not remember pulling your hair out as we played Stoke, Wolves, Wigan in WHL and kept losing 1-0 because Harry only had one tactic? Do you remember going to the Burnebeau and been completely embarrassed by a tactician (Mourinho) because Harry only had one tactic? Do you remember going to Old Trafford or an 'Top Four' ground for that matter and completely rolling over.....because Harry only had one tactic!!!

I'm not here to say that AVB is the Messiah, but to say AVB has failed one season in to his Spurs career is a complete embarrassment to mankind. There finally feels as if there is a structure and team spirit to the club. Other fans feel that too. And, considering none of us are players, it's amazing that we (standing on the inside looking in) can get that feeling. I NEVER had that when Harry was at the helm.

AVB cares about Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, that's easy to see on the sidelines and to hear in interviews. This Summer he won't be off playing golf in the Algarve or shooting an advert for Sky Sports, he'll be scouting players and working on solutions to problems we had this season. You may ask how do I know this? Well, I'd happily put it to a vote amongst all the Spurs fans on this forum. My point being, if we feel that way, then surely the players feel that way. AVB leads by example and I feel we will have success in time.

COYS!

Bodie Doyle, I must say I disagree with a lot of your points.

Firstly, I don't think even Harry Redknapp agreed with what Graeme Souness said last night. When Harry Redknapp prostituted his wares in order to get the England job - that did not only cost him his Tottenham job, but it also cost us Champions League football and the chance to see Modric and VDV in a Spurs jersey this season.

Dempsey, Siggy and Vertonghen were not AVB's purchases. Though, I will admit that Vertonghen has been brilliant. The other two were gambles on Levy's part. Obviously Siggy had lots of potential, I think he's still to fulfil this and his Tottenham career has a future. While the Dempsey purchase was a Levy-esque gamble. Due to time-constraints he could negotiate a 'snip' price with Fulham, thus £6m. One season on, do you think we will be able to sell Dempsey at a profit? Thus gamble failed.

You also said, "The football ( no tactics?) we played under HR was much more entertaining than under AVB. Only a blinkered Spurs fan would disagree." How far can entertainment get you? I guess eaten bread is soon forgotten. Do you not remember pulling your hair out as we played Stoke, Wolves, Wigan in WHL and kept losing 1-0 because Harry only had one tactic? Do you remember going to the Burnebeau and been completely embarrassed by a tactician (Mourinho) because Harry only had one tactic? Do you remember going to Old Trafford or an 'Top Four' ground for that matter and completely rolling over.....because Harry only had one tactic!!!

I'm not here to say that AVB is the Messiah, but to say AVB has failed one season in to his Spurs career is a complete embarrassment to mankind. There finally feels as if there is a structure and team spirit to the club. Other fans feel that too. And, considering none of us are players, it's amazing that we (standing on the inside looking in) can get that feeling. I NEVER had that when Harry was at the helm.

AVB cares about Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, that's easy to see on the sidelines and to hear in interviews. This Summer he won't be off playing golf in the Algarve or shooting an advert for Sky Sports, he'll be scouting players and working on solutions to problems we had this season. You may ask how do I know this? Well, I'd happily put it to a vote amongst all the Spurs fans on this forum. My point being, if we feel that way, then surely the players feel that way. AVB leads by example and I feel we will have success in time.

COYS!

oh come on this is getting ridiculous. Have you watched Spurs play this season? Are you happy with the type of football played?

You have a valid point about last season under HR in games v Wolves, Wigan, Stoke but what about the utter tripe we played in the last few weeks v Wigan, Fulham & how lucky we were v Southampton.

Again I agree we were outclassed by a top side Real Madrid but this season we fluked our way out of the group and were completely outplayed by BASLE.

Like yourself i am not saying that HR was the messiah but I still do not see a reason to heap praise on AVB. But AVB was given a job to get us to the top 4 and if we fail to make it into the top 4 he will not have fulfilled that goal. Is that a failure? Souness was saying something similar last night.
    Its out of our hands now. At least you could use the excuse that HR was whoring himself to the FA to get the England job and was not fully focused on spurs last season. What will AVB say?

And as for AVB caring about Tottenham. A quote from a few weeks ago

"I would definitely move very, very soon to a club in a different league. I've always said I want to keep my managerial career short and that is still the case."

We the fans are the only people who show loyalty.

We are one point better off this season compared to same point last season. Chelsea however are 8 points better off this season. There has been more competition for top 4 this season than last season. Do you seriously believe that with all things considered HR would have been able to make top 4 this season?

This whole entertainment thing is bull. Chelsea were a joke last season playing awful football and still won the Champions League. We've been entertaining for a large portion of the season. Arguably because of Bale. But who was it that pushed him further forward? Did Bale score this many goals and at that many crucial times under Redknapp? No. But AVB shouldn't get all the credit, Bale has been developing every season. More freedom this season inevitably led to more goals.

Redknapps position became untenable due to his own doing. I couldn't possibly fathom Redknapp being in charge this season after last. AVB is in charge, for just about one season. He's maintained our position after losing so many first team players from last season. If he can lose out on Champions League football this season by one point, a couple of points or goal difference, it's a very good achievement. Summer last year I was thinking that a top 6 would be respectable. I'm quite happy with how things have gone this season.

However, we're still in with a chance of finishing in the top 4. I'm not sure how you'll feel if we actually manage to achieve that..

We are one point better off this season compared to same point last season. Chelsea however are 8 points better off this season. There has been more competition for top 4 this season than last season. Do you seriously believe that with all things considered HR would have been able to make top 4 this season?

This whole entertainment thing is bull. Chelsea were a joke last season playing awful football and still won the Champions League. We've been entertaining for a large portion of the season. Arguably because of Bale. But who was it that pushed him further forward? Did Bale score this many goals and at that many crucial times under Redknapp? No. But AVB shouldn't get all the credit, Bale has been developing every season. More freedom this season inevitably led to more goals.

Redknapps position became untenable due to his own doing. I couldn't possibly fathom Redknapp being in charge this season after last. AVB is in charge, for just about one season. He's maintained our position after losing so many first team players from last season. If he can lose out on Champions League football this season by one point, a couple of points or goal difference, it's a very good achievement. Summer last year I was thinking that a top 6 would be respectable. I'm quite happy with how things have gone this season.

However, we're still in with a chance of finishing in the top 4. I'm not sure how you'll feel if we actually manage to achieve that..

I would be over the moon if we finished in the top 4. I am a huge Spurs fan and have supported them for many, many years. Too many times I have seen us come close only to fade away. But if you are happy to finish 5th a point or goal difference off the top 4 then good luck to you. Because its our mangers first year in charge (and no criticism is allowed) he will get away with failing. We will end up sounding like Liverpool fans - next year.......

Not too sure how long you have been watching the mighty Spurs but we fans like to be entertained. We may not always win but we have always played with a certain style, flair. Haven't seen too much of it this season though - without Bale ...........

Btw do u remember last year when Hr gave Bale a roaming role off the wing only to get lambasted by the crowd - Remember the song " he plays on the wing......"
    Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

And as for AVB caring about Tottenham. A quote from a few weeks ago

"I would definitely move very, very soon to a club in a different league. I've always said I want to keep my managerial career short and that is still the case."

He got lost in translation there i'm afraid with that quote and he said so himself. AVB is proving himself already. I'm glad we got shot of Del boy. He has just relegated his third team from the premiership.

In Levy and AVB we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Probably not the proper thread for this discussion but didn't AVB say last summer (shortly after he signed or a game or two into the season) that him and Levy agreed that CL qualification was the target for this season.

I'm not saying he has failed, I personally thought top 4 was a place or two ambitious but what does it mean if we fail to get CL qualification this season in terms of AVB's job and the goals set out by him and Levy at the start of the season?

I would be over the moon if we finished in the top 4. I am a huge Spurs fan and have supported them for many, many years. Too many times I have seen us come close only to fade away. But if you are happy to finish 5th a point or goal difference off the top 4 then good luck to you. Because its our mangers first year in charge (and no criticism is allowed) he will get away with failing. We will end up sounding like Liverpool fans - next year.......

Not too sure how long you have been watching the mighty Spurs but we fans like to be entertained. We may not always win but we have always played with a certain style, flair. Haven't seen too much of it this season though - without Bale ...........

Btw do u remember last year when Hr gave Bale a roaming role off the wing only to get lambasted by the crowd - Remember the song " he plays on the wing......"
    Probably not.

You seem way too condescending for my liking.

In Levy and AVB we trust.

I fixed that for you.

• Advertisement

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has done a tremendous job given the hand he was dealt

Chelsea's former manager Roberto Di Matteo was backed with new signings last summer, whereas Spurs' AVB was forced to rebuild his squad. The Portuguese deserves great credit for still being in touch with his west London neighbours.

In order to give you some idea of just how good a job Andre Villas-Boas has done in his maiden season at Tottenham, let us consider an alternate reality involving his former employer and last night's opponents, Chelsea.

Last season Spurs finished two places and five points above Chelsea (we all know what happened in Munich), so it's safe to assume the two squads were not so far apart in quality ahead of the summer.

Imagine, for a moment, that sometime towards the end of last season, Chelsea dramatically secure planning permission to build a new stadium on the site of Battersea Power Station.

Imagine that owner Roman Abramovich decides this new stadium is going to be the grandest in the land, finer than Old Trafford and the Emirates, finer even than the Allianz Arena - the scene of his greatest triumph - and it is to be his legacy, not only to the club, but to the world.

Imagine, not unreasonably, that rather than spending vast sums of money rebuilding the squad, the Russian decides that all major investment must be channelled into building Roman Way (for that is what he will name this modern wonder of the footballing world).

Imagine that Abramovich tells his manager Roberto Di Matteo that, despite last season's lowly league position, there will not be significant investment in the squad over the summer. In fact, so urgent is the need for funds that the team's most creative player, Juan Mata, is sold to Real Madrid for £27m.

Frustrated by Mata's departure, Di Matteo is stunned to hear that his best goalscoring midfielder, Frank Lampard, is having marital problems and, as a result, has decided to move to Bundesliga outfit SV Hamburg in order to attend a well-renowned marriage counselling clinic in the area. After years of fine service, the club does not stand in his way.

On top of these two losses, the Italian learns that club captain, (leader and legend) John Terry, is to retire immediately, citing persistent knee problems.

Di Matteo, rocking from this triple blow, informs his superior of his transfer targets; they are pricey but proven performers, who should help the squad overcome the losses sustained.

The Russian is having none of it. The targets are too expensive; his new stadium and legacy too important.

With some of the money banked from Mata's sale, Abramovich does, however, buy his manager a top centre-half, Jan Vertonghen, to replace Terry and a new goalkeeper, Hugo Lloris - both of whom are internationals going cheap.

Di Matteo tentatively asks for more. He is desperately in need of creative midfield and attacking reinforcements.

Abramovich agrees to spend £15m on Mousa Dembele from neighbours Fulham, and decides to anger the old enemy Liverpool by buying their top two targets, Glyfi Sigurdsson and Clint Dempsey.

These are not Di Matteo's men, but he cannot complain. He would have preferred Victor Moses of Wigan, the Brazilian sensation Oscar and Belgium's latest superstar Eden Hazard.

Just as the season begins and the young manager is feeling a little more settled, he learns that key centre-half Branislav Ivanovic requires knee surgery and is likely to miss the entire campaign.

But come January, Chelsea are on course to achieve their objectives. Di Matteo's side sit in the top four of the Premier League, with eyes on faltering Man City rather than the chasing pack.

However, it is glaringly obvious that the club need new blood in the transfer window, particularly after Ramires is ruled out for the rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage.

Abramovich again refuses to act, signing only the talented but inexperienced Lewis Holtby for a cut-price fee, ignoring the need for a new striker…

We could go on but let us now return to reality. As ridiculous as the above scenario may sound, it would be hard to imagine the long-since-sacked Di Matteo, or indeed any manager, guiding Chelsea into the top four given such a summer of upheaval and lack of significant investment from the boardroom.

And yet this was, and still is, the reality facing Villas-Boas at White Hart Lane.

Luka Modric and Rafa van der Vaart were sold, Ledley King retired and Younes Kaboul has missed the entire season. Sandro, the team's star performer before Gareth Bale turned superhuman, played his last match in January.

Their replacements, while not to be sniffed at, have not been of the same ilk.

Try telling a Spurs fan that Dempsey is anywhere near Van der Vaart's class, while Dembele, although a sublime talent, is not yet at Modric's level.

Villas-Boas and Spurs have benefited from the superb form of one of the world's best players, but one world class player does not equate to Champions League football, as Alan Shearer's Newcastle or Luis Suarez's Liverpool will testify.

If Tottenham fail to qualify for next season's Champions League, for their fans there will be disappointment twinged with regret, particularly after blowing another lead over Arsenal.

But any suggestion Villas-Boas will have failed is absurd; amid transition, injuries and a lack of support from above, the 35-year-old has done a tremendous job to remain in touch with both Chelsea and Arsenal with two games still to play.

Any anger at the prospect of another season in the Europa League should be directed not at the coach but at a chairman who failed to back the Portuguese in January, despite compelling evidence that Spurs could push for second given the right reinforcements.

Villas-Boas was understandably like a man possessed on his return to Stamford Bridge yesterday evening, his desperation for victory etched into every line on his intelligent countenance.

Spurs, in a manner that has become typical under his guidance, dug deep to secure a valuable point against an illustrious opposition, who strengthened significantly in the summer.

Villas-Boas should not be unhappy with his lot but he could be forgiven for being envious of his successors' spending power at Stamford Bridge, and is entitled to wonder, as should you, how others would have coped at Spurs or Chelsea with the hand he has been dealt.

Not sure if people can view the link so quoted the text just incase. Funny article and interesting way of looking at things

Linky

Levy out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Not sure if people can view the link so quoted the text just incase. Funny article and interesting way of looking at things

Linky
    To put the squad spend into context(where we made a small profit on player transfers) in the season 2011/2012 Levy invested 46m into the Training center and new Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

So we're all agreed then AVB is genius?

So we're all agreed then AVB is genius?

Jesus no! But he's doing very well in my opinion. I'll reserve full judgment until next season.

I just wonder what he could do with a reasonable amount of money to invest players in.

Jesus no! But he's doing very well in my opinion. I'll reserve full judgment until next season.

I just wonder what he could do with a reasonable amount of money to invest players in.

Yup its the same story every year. Last year we needed someone in Jan when we offloaded Pav and Ledders knee was playing up. Levy splashed out on Saha and Ryan Nelson. This summer AVB wanted Moutinho and Levy stalled, scuppering AVBs plans for the entire season - I may not be AVBs biggest fan but i do realise the constraints he is under with Levy as his stingy chairman.
    Again in Jan we could have pushed on and guarenteed a top 4 position with an addition or two but we ended up with the fat German kid.
    Two games to go and with a bit of luck we make the top 4. Then lets see what Levy is made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

vdV, Modric and Kaboul. 3 of our best players last season all gone, and with them the spine of our team last season. Not to mention our club captain Ledley. No denying he's done a great job, he'll go from strength to strength. I said when he was appointed that within 3-4 seasons I can see us challenging for the title if he stays with us, and I still believe that.

Look also at what he's had to put up with this season. A completely out of form Walker, Ade being a donkey for 80-90% of games, a change in keeper (which he managed excellently), Defoe getting injured resulting in a drop in form and resulting in no bothered striker along with arguably our best player (Sandro) getting injured for the rest of the season which left Parker to start, a most un-AVB-like player as ever you'll see.

He's doing well lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

THFC wrote: »
    vdV, Modric and Kaboul. 3 of our best players last season all gone, and with them the spine of our team last season. Not to mention our club captain Ledley. No denying he's done a great job, he'll go from strength to strength. I said when he was appointed that within 3-4 seasons I can see us challenging for the title if he stays with us, and I still believe that.

Look also at what he's had to put up with this season. A completely out of form Walker, Ade being a donkey for 80-90% of games, a change in keeper (which he managed excellently), Defoe getting injured resulting in a drop in form and resulting in no bothered striker along with arguably our best player (Sandro) getting injured for the rest of the season which left Parker to start, a most un-AVB-like player as ever you'll see.

He's doing well lads.

yes but you could argue that its his job to sort out ade and walker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

mickman wrote: »
    yes but you could argue that its his job to sort out ade and walker ?
    You could make that point but if a player is out of form, he's out of form, very little any manager can do. Look at United this season, their wingers have been brutal. 2 or 3 seasons ago their main man Rooney went through a period where he was utterly hopeless. There's only so much a manager can do sometimes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement