Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to buy pen for boxer dog?

• 06-05-2013 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

hi i have a female boxer dog that is now nearly two and we live an estate and time has come to buy some sort of pen or kennel for her as shes getting out too much as she can now open doors herself and neighbours rightly so worried about her around their kids.

i was looking at mesh wire pens but my back garden isnt too big i was looking at measurements of 6ft high 7.5ft wide by 7.5ft long but it would be great if i could get one maybe 6ft high and 4ft by 5ft for example.

anyone know any good sites where i could look at different sized pens etc or know any other measures i could use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've never personally used them but I've heard that cilldara.ie have good pens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I've never personally used them but I've heard that cilldara.ie have good pens!

Just out of interest - this is for your dog to sleep in -not to keep her in all day? 4ft is barely lying room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I was going to say the same 4ft by 5ft is tiny! 7.5ft runs are usually built for smaller breeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

zooplus.ie are probably the best value for crates. I would agree that 4 foot is on the small size for a boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Just out of interest - this is for your dog to sleep in -not to keep her in all day? 4ft is barely lying room.

more so for when we are all out of house or when have visitors etc she wont be in there 24/7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Would raising the height of the back garden walls by using solid fencing panels work? Affords her more room.

ill get the measuring tape out tomorrow and see what i can work with in my garden and thanks for all your suggestions

if my garden allows i was considering this one

http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.php/small-4ft-dog-run-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

if my garden allows i was considering this one

http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.php/small-4ft-dog-run-3

Hi 12 gauger ;If you have a garden -even small - wouldn't it be safer & kinder to secure your boxer in it rather than in a small but tall run. I can't see what size this is but boxers are all full of joy & bounce - you'd have to nail it to the ground to make sure it wasn't bounced over - wouldn't the e300 be " better" invested on making your walls higher if needed/lattice paneling/chicken wire & 6ft stakes. I bought some stakes at a supply depo last year for e3 or e4 each...& the strong mesh was e30 a roll ..6ft X30 fence built for seriously less than that (e70 in total I think). Would keep your boxer in, & happier : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

That one is 7.5 ft x 7.5 ft and 6 ft high. Not sure to be honest if that would be robust enough to safely contain a boxer that wanted to escape. I've never used one, but have seen them set up in pet shops, and they seem fairly flimsy to me. I know they are dearer, but people like cilldara.ie build much more substantial runs.

• Advertisement

Hi 12 gauger ;If you have a garden -even small - wouldn't it be safer & kinder to secure your boxer in it rather than in a small but tall run. I can't see what size this is but boxers are all full of joy & bounce - you'd have to nail it to the ground to make sure it wasn't bounced over - wouldn't the e300 be " better" invested on making your walls higher if needed/lattice paneling/chicken wire & 6ft stakes. I bought some stakes at a supply depo last year for e3 or e4 each...& the strong mesh was e30 a roll ..6ft X30 fence built for seriously less than that (e70 in total I think). Would keep your boxer in, & happier : )

thanks for input yes im also considering ill take a trip down to local sepo in next day or two and see what i can come up with before i invest in a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ksimpson wrote: »
    zooplus.ie are probably the best value for crates. I would agree that 4 foot is on the small size for a boxer.

Jebbtools.ie are the cheapest for crates ;) They do dog runs too but not sure how they compare with others price wise though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

hi i have a female boxer dog that is now nearly two and we live an estate and time has come to buy some sort of pen or kennel for her as shes getting out too much as she can now open doors herself and neighbours rightly so worried about her around their kids.

i was looking at mesh wire pens but my back garden isnt too big i was looking at measurements of 6ft high 7.5ft wide by 7.5ft long but it would be great if i could get one maybe 6ft high and 4ft by 5ft for example.

anyone know any good sites where i could look at different sized pens etc or know any other measures i could use?

I don't know anything about pens but I have a baby gate and a dog gate (bigger in height) in my house. I leave the dogs behind it when i go to work and if non doggy people comes over ! http://m.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/barriers/232276
    I would highly recommend them plus you get to keep your back garden. You could give your dog a filled kong to keep her occupied if she is upset!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP the pens you are looking are not the best. They depend on the person putting them up to be handy and the ones I have seen, even in the shop where it should perfect, always look flimsy and baddly assembled.

Others have mentioned Cill Dara and I would recommend them as I have one thats 8 years old and still perfect. Another good company is Slaneyside - think they are slightly cheaper. Also look on the likes of donedeal - someone may be selling one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

You're better of with a bigger one and check it out before buying it to make sure the chain linked fencing around is strong enough because she will probably try to break it.I've had 2 Boxers and amazed at height they can jump if they want to.

Advertisement