Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus A380

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It may be just me but I think the A380 is a horrible monstrosity of an aircraft that has ever being produced. I never want to travel on one.

You wouldn't say that if you had travelled on one, having flown across the Pacific from Sydney to Lax on the A380 with Qantas and also with Emirates last year I have to say that the A380 is the way to go for longhaul flights as it is a far superior machine to fly on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It may be just me but I think the A380 is a horrible monstrosity of an aircraft that has ever being produced. I never want to travel on one.

I would totally agree, the 747 is an elegant masterpiece in comparison to the A380 and it was designed on a drawing board using slide rules. :)

On the other hand the A380 is a tasteless computer generated Beluga variant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

how does A380 compare to A340 for long haul though (all other things - class, seat pitch, IFE etc being equal)? Wouldn't the back of an A340-600 be very quiet as well.

I read some reviews that preffered A340 but I'm not sure why. I probably would prefer A380 even though I've never been on one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've flown on an A380 twice, into and out of Hong Kong with Emirates. I'd echo the sentiments above, it's a fantastic aircraft to fly on. If given the choice, I'd take it every time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

..... I'd echo the sentiments above, it's a fantastic aircraft to fly on. If given the choice, I'd take it every time.

I have yet to talk to a person who has not had a good experience of the A380.
    I think it is a great aircraft but being a nostalgic individual I feel the B747 has a grace that is not evident in the A380-800:

8724880157_a7e6da524c.jpg
    SQ A380 by tearbringer, on Flickr

8722146147_de124a14ae.jpg
    Virgin B744 at JFK by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Let's face it lads, it's the slightly Phallic shape that you are all falling for :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Muffinsda,
    I've flown the A340-300 (Once) & 600 (once) and also the A380 three times.

The A380 is on another level for comfort with the A340-600 following close behind. All beat the B777 IMHO due to noise levels and general comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

In 2011 I flew to Australia and back on the A380, outward with Qantas and back with Emirates. Qantas (economy) was very comfortable and LHR-SIN didn't feel anything like a normal econ trip. Bigger seat and a very quiet cabin proved very restful.

I was luck to fly home Business class with Emirates which meant a lie-flat seat with a mattress, noise-cancelling headphones and very nice food. The Sydney-Dubai leg was 14+ hrs. but it felt like 8-9 hrs.

Make no mistake, econ. or otherwise, for long-haul the A380 redefines comfort and raises the bar in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnnowe

EI needs A380s on the DUB - ORD route, not one aircraft but two. Traffic from the west coast and down south to every destination in Europe has been overwhelming

• Advertisement

johnnowe wrote: »
    EI needs A380s on the DUB - ORD route, not one aircraft but two. Traffic from the west coast and down south to every destination in Europe has been overwhelming

Hence the DUB-SFO route starting in 5 months.......

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

bbk wrote: »
    For heavens sake, there is no need for the attitude displayed in this post. Community forum, its a perfectly valid question.

The OP raises an interesting point for debate at the very least. Dub airports ability to handle it aside, one very big aircraft serving the same number of passengers with less frequencies could open Aer Lingus to a more long haul destinations with essentially the same amount of aircraft.

However with that, could passengers get more annoyed at less flights per week? If there is still "equal treatment" for long haul routes between Dublin and Shannon, that would probably cause more problems. Then, how long would it take to implement? Getting the 757s going seems to take ages. In the time, could it be just quicker to get some used A330s and the likes?

With Emirates likely to add a second Dublin flight, I wonder would it be in the scope of Aer Lingus to make use of the Etihad stake and have an Aer Lingus plane share the route if things get busier still. A massive speculative comment I admit. It was a pity Aer Lingus pulled out of Dubai the way they did (recession).

Slightly off point, but there is an article on twitter about Etihad acquisitions of new aircraft to be announced at the Dubai Airshow, and it is suggested because of the amount being purchased that they could be used by their equity partners ie Air Berlin, Air Serbia and Aer Lingus. Could be very interesting as the other largely consists of B787 and A320neo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Slightly off point, but there is an article on twitter about Etihad acquisitions of new aircraft to be announced at the Dubai Airshow, and it is suggested because of the amount being purchased that they could be used by their equity partners ie Air Berlin, Air Serbia and Aer Lingus. Could be very interesting as the other largely consists of B787 and A320neo

Indeed! There was something about that here in the past while. Something along the lines of the biggest aircraft purchase when the equity partners are included. Sounds mighty interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

johnnowe wrote: »

Will never happen. Aer Lingus don't have the cash reserves to buy one. DUB-ORD isn't 100% load all the time and travellers like to have two choices, fly in the morning or the afternoon. Same thing with DUB-LON. There must be at least 20 flights going to London each day by Aer Lingus and even the passenger load is high, it's not useful to have an A380 on it because travellers want flexibility on times. Fly in at 7 and come home whenever they feel like at 1pm or 7pm.

I don't see an A380 coming to Aer Lingus ever as we don't need it. At the moment, EI have leased 757s for the transatlantic expansion which should be relieved following the A350 deliveries in 2015 (I think?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I agree too, a380 pie in the sky as far as EIN goes. It's a small airline and the 330 has been a roaring success for them. I'd say the 350 will be perfect for them ....

I agree too, a380 pie in the sky as far as EIN goes. It's a small airline and the 330 has been a roaring success for them. I'd say the 350 will be perfect for them ....

I'd love to see Aer Lingus start a service to South East Asia, many people would prefer to travel Aer Lingus and if they were to utilise the A350 on a route to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur they could corner alot of the market of Irish travellers to Australia and New Zealand this way. Singapore is now bypassed by Qantas and Singapore Airlines are always 33% - 50% more expensive than their competitors. You could travel to Singapore or KL with Aer Lingus and onwards to Australia or New Zealand with low-cost-carriers like Air Asia, JetStar or Scoot. Many Irish prefer to stop-over in Asia for a few days on the way over or back to Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

smurfjed wrote: »
    What are the unique costs associated with the Atlantic?

The next question is what exactly is the expected load? A dual class A320 could be fitted with 120 seats, but in the winter it would be limited to about 90 usable seats due the extra fuel requirements. OK its a big jump from this to a 274 seater A332, but imho, leasing a B757 diminishes the EI product.

smurfjed

Can't understand this reasoning. I'd much rather a 757 than a 320 across the pond.

Can't understand this reasoning. I'd much rather a 757 than a 320 across the pond.

No-one mentioned A320 across the pond. B757 are going to be 15 years old and single aisle, they are replacing the twin aisle A330 which has an average age in EI of something like 7 years.

Tenger wrote: »
    No-one mentioned A320 across the pond. B757 are going to be 15 years old and single aisle, they are replacing the twin aisle A330 which has an average age in EI of something like 7 years.

I think smurfjed did if you read the quote. I guess with such a small airline where the reasoning behind fleet changes can appear on RTE news and other outlets so easily, the extra routes and general expansion that is being offered will outweigh something like the age of the aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd love to see Aer Lingus start a service to South East Asia, many people would prefer to travel Aer Lingus and if they were to utilise the A350 on a route to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur they could corner alot of the market of Irish travellers to Australia and New Zealand this way. Singapore is now bypassed by Qantas and Singapore Airlines are always 33% - 50% more expensive than their competitors. You could travel to Singapore or KL with Aer Lingus and onwards to Australia or New Zealand with low-cost-carriers like Air Asia, JetStar or Scoot. Many Irish prefer to stop-over in Asia for a few days on the way over or back to Australia

Now they have Etihad, they have no need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I don't see an A380 coming to Aer Lingus ever as we don't need it. At the moment, EI have leased 757s for the transatlantic expansion which should be relieved following the A350 deliveries in 2015 (I think?)

Aer Lingus know that Shannon does not have the demand to fill an A330 - God knows they have been trying for years. A B757 size aircraft works - and the speculation is that the 757's will be replaced by A321NEO's, not the A350 - they will replace the current A330's, with perhaps some longhaul expansion out of Dublin.
    Tenger wrote: »

Like I said above it is rumoured that the 757's will be replaced with A321's once these come on-line.

Why? Both are single isle and of a similar seat pitch. Any difference between the two would purely on how the airlines fitted them out.

• Advertisement

Surely EI's A330 are young enough to keep serving are they not? I would've imagined EI would introduce new routes once the A350 comes. Of course, one or two will replace the A330 routes and could be sold or leased to another airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Aer Lingus+ A380=ROFLMAO

Surely EI's A330 are young enough to keep serving are they not? I would've imagined EI would introduce new routes once the A350 comes. Of course, one or two will replace the A330 routes and could be sold or leased to another airline.

They very well could - a lot could depend on leases etc. But if they do it will be from Dublin and not Shannon.

They very well could - a lot could depend on leases etc. But if they do it will be from Dublin and not Shannon.

Oh well obviously. Shannon's passenger numbers are declining and will probably for the next couple of years. EI will probably use their A321NEOs to replace the leased B757 in future and potentially the A330 if the loads are low thus allowing EI to open new routes to the States and maybe the ME or North Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Obviously Aer Lingus will never need such capacity but hey its nice to dream :pac:

I'd be nice if EK flew a once off A380 into Dublin for an anniversary sometime, they've done it with other minor destinations for promo and celebratory reasons but as was pointed out is DUB even A380 capable?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

EI needs A380s on the DUB - ORD route, not one aircraft but two.
    Nah. Look at the trouble they have with the unions over a few 757's. You can only imagine what obstacles the unions would dream up if they were asked to crew a 380.

Mister R wrote: »
    Obviously Aer Lingus will never need such capacity but hey its nice to dream :pac:

I'd be nice if EK flew a once off A380 into Dublin for an anniversary sometime, they've done it with other minor destinations for promo and celebratory reasons but as was pointed out is DUB even A380 capable?

I believe DUB is on A380 capable for emergencies. With the runway we have now, the A380 would struggle to get off the ground if it were to fly back to Dubai unless it goes to MAN or LHR to refuel. It would be nice though but I can't see it happening with the runway constraints we have in DUB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why? A 757 is slightly narrower and still a single-aisle twinjet.

I believe DUB is on A380 capable for emergencies. With the runway we have now, the A380 would struggle to get off the ground if it were to fly back to Dubai unless it goes to MAN or LHR to refuel. It would be nice though but I can't see it happening with the runway constraints we have in DUB

The A380 would have no difficulties getting out of Dublin to Dubai.

I wonder will Emirates send an A380 into Dublin once they have their fleet fully equipped with upto 90 A380 airliners? Emirates have only 7 flights a week compared to Etihad's 10 flights weekly. I wonder are they in some-way slot restricted at Dublin or if they decided to increase capacity would they just fly in a 2nd daily 777-300ER?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

It would probably be a second daily 777 as there would be more connection options if they did need to expand. It would also be a better connection for travelling to New Zealand if the second 777 was later :) I've flown that way before and coming back the connection from the Auckland A380s work but not going from Dublin to Auckland :pac: long layover

Stinicker wrote: »
    I wonder will Emirates send an A380 into Dublin once they have their fleet fully equipped with upto 90 A380 airliners? Emirates have only 7 flights a week compared to Etihad's 10 flights weekly. I wonder are they in some-way slot restricted at Dublin or if they decided to increase capacity would they just fly in a 2nd daily 777-300ER?

There is a second 777 coming in December. What I hear is different to what is heard by people here in that it is either a seasonal addition for each Saturday or just a one off.

I have heard that the Etihad interest in terminal 2 has caused problems in a regular second flight for Emirates into Dublin. They are certainly stretched in load for the Dublin route. A quite a few lucky people getting bumped to business :)

All that said, I dunno if Dublin can take a 380?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

bbk wrote: »
    All that said, I dunno if Dublin can take a 380?

No problems for the 380 off 28/10 with a full load to Dubai, the main issue is whether there is enough premium traffic on the route. EK 380's are configured 14/76/427.. They need to fill those seats upstairs to pay the bills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    No problems for the 380 off 28/10 with a full load to Dubai, the main issue is whether there is enough premium traffic on the route. EK 380's are configured 14/76/427.. They need to fill those seats upstairs to pay the bills!

As you say there is no problem with the runway but what about loading? A380 ideally needs two jetlays / larger waiting areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Patrickheg wrote: »
    As you say there is no problem with the runway but what about loading? A380 ideally needs two jetlays / larger waiting areas.

Why was T2 not designed to cater for aircraft like this. If not constructed at the time, surely there is a contingency to quickly construct it in the future or adapt at least?? For such a new terminal ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

poteen wrote: »
    Why was T2 not designed to cater for aircraft like this. If not constructed at the time, surely there is a contingency to quickly construct it in the future or adapt at least?? For such a new terminal ...

With the possibility of an a380 using dublin being quite remote there was no reason to. No point in building or future proofing for something that's very unlikely to happen.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    Nah. Look at the trouble they have with the unions over a few 757's. You can only imagine what obstacles the unions would dream up if they were asked to crew a 380.

In fairness they wanted to know who was crewing the 757s and what would happen to the crew who worked on the A330. Can't blame them for trying to protect jobs. But some will simply because of a union.

The problem with dublins runway is width NOT length. 28 was built in the era of new runways that were only 45m wide not the 60 the A380 now needs for safety. 28 was built that wide because navigation and modern aircraft had improved dramatically and aircraft can land more precisely.

poteen wrote: »

It was to a point, there are two stands big enough to cater for it but the infrastructure is not there as there is no need for it nor was there at the time it was designed. Airports are designed in reality not for the whims of aviation enthusiasts. Otherwise they get very expensive.

Most likely a second or third 777 flight LONG before an A380. Emirates has stated that airports for the future use of their A380 fleet have already been decided and Dublin is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Can we clear this up once and for all? There's a fair bit of conflicting information about the A380 in Dublin.......
    the A380 would struggle to get off the ground if it were to fly back to Dubai unless it goes to MAN or LHR to refuel.
    The A380 would have no difficulties getting out of Dublin to Dubai.
    NewSigGuy wrote: »
    No problems for the 380 off 28/10 with a full load to Dubai, !
    urajoke wrote: »

The problem with dublins runway is width NOT length. 28 was built in the era of new runways that were only 45m wide not the 60 the A380 now needs for safety.

If Emirates decided they wanted to put an A380 on the Dublin - Dubai route, would Dublin Airport be able to accommodate it?

Forget about the terminal, just from a landing and fully loaded take off point of view.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Forget about the terminal, just from a landing and fully loaded take off point of view.

The A380 has a lower pavement loading than a B747. Also for Dublin to Dubai the A380 will not be close to fully loaded - its a six/seven hour flight for an aircraft that can do twelve/fifteen easily.

From a practical point of view there are better markets than Dublin for the A380, a double daily A330/B777 combo gives an airline a lot more flexibility if number start to drop.

Dont get me wrong I would love to see an A380 in Dublin - even if it was just a one off equipment switch - I just do not see it happen, especially with Ethiad also in Dublin taking their share.

The A380 has a lower pavement loading than a B747. Also for Dublin to Dubai the A380 will not be close to fully loaded - its a six/seven hour flight for an aircraft that can do twelve/fifteen easily.

So it's within Dublin Airports capabilities to operate a Dublin - Dubai A380. I know it's unlikely, but there's always hope we may get a one off visit some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More likely to see DUB-AUH as an Etihad promo when theirs arrive I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

So it's within Dublin Airports capabilities to operate a Dublin - Dubai A380. I know it's unlikely, but there's always hope we may get a one off visit some day.

Runway wise the 380 would not be limited for a leg such as DUB-DXB, the width and length are fine. Performance would be fine up to about 500T, normally enough for 9-10 hours fully loaded.

The issue is with regard to parking and the possibility of turning the aircraft around in a reasonable time! in this regard I don't think Dub is a likely regular 380 destination, this is in addition to the commercial requirements for this aircraft. Maybe the odd Promo visit would be possible but I think EK is more interested in a second daily service...

I think I read somewhere before that Terminal Two when built had one or two gates which were A380 capable? Would Dublin T2 be able to handle an A380 if Etihad or Emirates even sent one for a promo photo op or would it have to go on some remote apron with a stairs? It would be pretty cool to see it landing, taxiing and then pulling up to T2 before hooking up the jetway even it was a once off.

Before Emirates and Etihad both started sending 777's regularly they had sent the 777's once or twice before that for a photo op I remember. If either of them sent an A380 as a once-off you can be sure it would nearly make the 6:00 news and you just can't buy that sort of publicity, I bet if MOL were in charge of Emirates or Etihad he be planning a A380 visit to DUB for free publicity reasons alone. I wonder how long is it before Etihad takes their first A380 delivery?

• Advertisement

I suppose it is a missed opportunity by Emirates in not making use of the extra capacity they need on this December Saturday flight to chuck an A380 in, provided the airport can handle such a thing for a scheduled flight and not a general promo. Especially as the two 777s will basically be on the tarmac at the same time in relation to how close they are operating time wise.

Though, from what I am told, the 777 is a much better plane for cargo which is performing at least as good as the passenger loads.

I wonder how long is it before Etihad takes their first A380 delivery?

It's due late 2014.

Slightly off topic but I read recently Emirates are planning 11 seats across the A380 in Economy.

Article here http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/emirates-eyes-11-across-seating-on-a380

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think I read somewhere before that Terminal Two when built had one or two gates which were A380 capable?

I think gate 410 is capable of using dual jetways and I think EY use it.
    I'm not too sure, can someone confirm?

It's due late 2014.

Slightly off topic but I read recently Emirates are planning 11 seats across the A380 in Economy.

Article here http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/emirates-eyes-11-across-seating-on-a380

Ouch - would not fancy that at all.

It's due late 2014.

Yet another reason not to fly them, their 777's are a total sardine can already and if they go 11-a-breast on the A380 they will never again see my money anyway. However I did read that the 11-a-breast was probably going to be deployed on short dense routes where they are slot restricted like into India. Instead of going 11-abreast they should just remove a few rows of business and 1st class, on these immigrant routes into the Gulf the majority of their money is made on economy seats anyway.

Etihad are a far more civilized airline with a nice small hub Abu Dhabi unlike the monstrosity of a mess that Dubai has become, I'd rather fly through Heathrow anyday over Dubai as it is chaotic nowadays. I also read that the are closing a runaway in DXB next year for a few weeks, that will create a fair mess also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement