Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not use Revise Wise as School Books?

• 06-05-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

Just a thought I've had in the last few weeks. I've asked others in school and most people seem to agree, with the only argument I've encountered so far being: 'It only teaches you the subject for the exam' But isn't that the whole point of studying for the LC, for points. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Why not go the whole hog and get rid of teachers also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Just a thought I've had in the last few weeks. I've asked others in school and most people seem to agree, with the only argument I've encountered so far being: 'It only teaches you the subject for the exam' But isn't that the whole point of studying for the LC, for points. Any thoughts?

Often the revise wise books take shortcuts or cut edges a little. How do you think they cram all the info into those little books , they do the bare minimum, some people argue that you should study from the school book/multiple sources to cover everything.Personally i like some of the revise wise, say for biology. If i need to i will refer back to the book but for other subjects i wouldn't feel fully prepared with the revise wise, personal opinions each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Because that completely defeats the purpose of education and is the main problem with the Leaving Certificate. College is about independent learning and thinking for yourself and students are completely unprepared for it. Your idea would just strengthen that.

Also, the reason that the points are constantly on the up is because we're learning how to do well in the exams rather than engaging with our subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

0mega wrote: »
    Because that completely defeats the purpose of education and is the main problem with the Leaving Certificate.
    I too agree that the LC is a damaged system in need of some reapairs. I look forward to College where proper thinking and actual learning is involved which I much prefer than just cramming information for the LC. Having said that I we have no other option but to learn as much info as possible and the Revise Wise (or similar books) do help with that. I used them for some subjects in the JC, I'm only in 5th year so I haven't bought any yet. And frankly, I found them great. Particularly Maths an Irish which were my 2 worst subjects (still are) and they helped me get good results in them, B in Maths and C in Irish. I found they covered all aspects of the exam and were far easier to understand than school books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I agree with what most people are saying although I have one exception and I'm sure others do too,
    Art history is a subject that pretty much every art teacher struggles to teach and it's a hard course to cover. The revise wise book for art history is wonderful and covers more than what we do in class!

But for subjects like maths, English, Irish etc I wouldn't feel prepared with the RW books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement