Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small DIY Phone Repair

Options
  • 07-05-2013 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

hey guys so i had a drink spilled on me over the weekend and my Galaxy s3 got a bit wet. now the phone will only charge or connect to the pc intermittently. the connects is constantly dropping in and out. my guess is some of the drink got into the usb port and there is some sticky gunk (drink was jager and redbull so it gets pretty sticky when dried) on the contacts inhibiting a solid connection...

so my questions are: could i just spray some contact cleaner into the port to try sort it??? and will contact cleaner be strong enough to remove the gunk???

if the above is possible and doesnt solve the problem, what could the issue be and is it (inexpensively) repairable???

thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Take the back off, battery sim and SD out, then spray a little isopropyl alcohol into the socket. Then give it a good hour to fully evaporate. Try it, if it doesnt work try again. After that maybe try inserting and removing the jack a few hundred times to do it via friction.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

ED E wrote: »
    Take the back off, battery sim and SD out, then spray a little isopropyl alcohol into the socket. Then give it a good hour to fully evaporate. Try it, if it doesnt work try again. After that maybe try inserting and removing the jack a few hundred times to do it via friction.

thanks, gonna see if i can get a loan of some isopropyl alcohol before goin to maplin and buying a large can...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gaza4 wrote: »
    thanks, gonna see if i can get a loan of some isopropyl alcohol before goin to maplin and buying a large can...

And get ripped off;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Local chemist should have isopropyl alc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can buy 99% isopropyl alcohol on ebay too.
    I use it for a lot of other things and it doesn't go bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement