Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The internet is anonymous

• 07-05-2013 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

but it isn't. How much can you find out about yourself from google? I'm lucky, my name clashes with a well known actor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I am a goalkeeper, a writer, a picker, a grinner, a lover and I'm a sinner
    playin' my music in the sun. I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a mid-night toker, I get my lovin' on the run.

Or that may be someoen else.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Just googled myself and apparently I passed away peacefully in my sleep last night
    Or maybe that was someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sin City wrote: »
    Just googled myself and apparently I passed away peacefully in my sleep last night
    Or maybe that was someone else

Pretty sure it was you - your last post was only a reflex action. Walk into the light.

I'm the only one of me in the world it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I'm the only one of me in the world it would seem.
    Me too. Unusual first name coupled with very very unusual surname. i have no internet footprint either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'm a footballer, a hurler, a photographer, an insurance company, a GAA club and a historical character during Elizabethan times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Me too. Unusual first name coupled with very very unusual surname. i have no internet footprint either.

Debabyjesus - and no google results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

but it isn't. How much can you find out about yourself from google? I'm lucky, my name clashes with a well known actor.
    Chances are that the sites you visit know more about you than you can find out about on Google.

You're tracked by cookies, your IP address and your browser signature as you go from site to site. The sites pool all this information about you.

All your internet activity is recorded and retained by your ISP, in case the Gardai might ask for that info.

Anonymous: No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've never actually googled my name before. That's mad! *Cringe*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You'd be suprised what you can learn from googling a person's username :pac:

Alot of people are savy these days to how the internet works. But up until a few years ago alot of people used the same username on various sites. Which leads me into this:

One of my mates gave internet dating a shot a few years ago (2008/2009) Signed up to a few websites but ultimately chose POF. Anyways, One night i'm there beside him and he sees a girl online. Same girl who was on all the other sites. Same photos and all. Can't remember which one of us said it, but we decided to google her username just to see how many she was bloody on.

Well up comes a dozen or so dating websites she's on, a bebo and a sex website link. Obviously we click on the sex link :pac: and there is "little miss innocent" baring all stating she's looking for a one night stand, etc etc. Now you are probably thinking why I am calling her "little miss innocent" - well if you went back to her POF profile it stated "DO NOT MESSAGE ME LOOKING FOR SEX! I AM NOT THAT TYPE OF GIRL" - So yeah ... that's either an example of people in general or the sort you meet on dating sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

The IP thing is a bit of a stretch. If I surf the web from work the IP that is recorded by sites such as google is the same one recorded for my colleagues.

If you aren't that tech savvy, here's a simple check - edit a wiki page and get the guy at the desk next to you to edit one. Then check the history. Will probably be the same IP.

Obvious your employer will have info to identify you specifically.

broadband is often DHCP (unless you request a static IP) so IP may not be much use depending on the lease duration or unless someone has access to the ISP to match to the user the IP is of limited use.

Have you ever tried to download something from rapidshare and got a message saying you have exceeded the limit and need to wait 60 mins? Even when you haven't been on rapidshare that day? Guess why?

Clearing or blocking cookies is very easy to do.

Users using WiFi...

Users switching between laptop / iPad and phone with different Internet connections etc. Advertisers have software to try to match a user across all their devices but it is best guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Former footballer.... apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm not even the only one of me in Cork, never mind saying in the world. But I am the first on google. Probably because of my huge internet presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I'm famous so my wikipedia page is the first result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm a soap actress in America, and an Australian model.

Yup, sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Apparently I died on the Titanic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Never bothered until now,I'm a renowned psychologist,an artist,a rock star,a politician and have been in jail all over America apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A pro basketball player, I also provide "aggressive political consulting and commentary", I am a dentist and someone who died recently in Kansas.

Oh, and there's the dance teacher who was arrested and charged with diddling some of his pupils. Tsk, black sheep, eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

playin' my music in the sun. I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a mid-night toker, I get my lovin' on the run.

I googled you and found out your jokes are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm a former FF politician, former mayor of Galway and world renowned neurologist who has studied monkey eyesight :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't put my real name on the Internet. Not on Facebook, LinkedIn, anything. I am pretty sure a good hacker would be able to find me, but Googling my own name never brings me to any of my pages. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I love the tinternet, great for a spot of Catfishing....

Can't wait to pretend to be me, while pretending to be someone else....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I'm the only one with my name and if you google it you get a load of pictures of me, my linkedin profile, bands I've been in, photography I've done, other hobbies I'm involved in.. no privacy for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a famous NASCAR player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It depends on how specific you are, if you put in my real name and town you can get me easily enough, even find my previous employment. Expand out to just the county however and it's more difficult though I still pop up on the first page of hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

Haha thats so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I am the former King of Connacht, CEO, "wedding magician", an Irish Indo sports reporter, and a dangerous-looking american baseball player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It seems all my doppelgangers are more successful than I am :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I was in Starship Troopers, I work at CERN, and play Quater Back for Arkansas State, And I am a model.

I must google myself now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm the only person on the internet with the same name as me, I've known that for some time but the downside is that my online footprint is massive.

If you Google my name there's like 6 or 7 pages of results and the first 2 pages are all about me, the others are irrelevant pages with parts of my name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm an Irish footballer, but I also moonlight as a Jesuit Community Professor, a solicitor and a neurologist. For relaxing, though, I just make violins.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

The web's not anonymous but the Internet can be. Just use a program that incorporates a mixnet with a darknet. Boom you're anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I play hurling for Clare, I'm a wigger, a fisherman, a dog, I'm dead apparently, I'm also a pinball machine. Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

I'm a famous NASCAR player.
    Wouldn't say that to a NASCAR "player" if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

I love stalking people on facebook, seriously easy to creep on birds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

<Stormrider> I should bomb something
    <Stormrider> ...and it's off the cuff remarks like that that are the reason I don't log chats
    <Stormrider> Just in case the FBI ever needs anything on me
    <Elzie_Ann> I'm sure they can just get it from someone who DOES log chats.
    *** FBI has joined #gamecubecafe
    <FBI> We saw it anyway.
    *** FBI has quit IRC (Quit: )

Advertisement