Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Arts Festival

Options
  • 07-05-2013 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

The arts festival is looking for volunteers to help steward the weekend, if interested get in touch! You do not have to be there all day every day. The programme is nearly finalised and many great acts are coming, lets hope the weather stays good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

greig wrote: »
    The arts festival is looking for volunteers to help steward the weekend, if interested get in touch! You do not have to be there all day every day. The programme is nearly finalised and many great acts are coming, lets hope the weather stays good.

Get in touch with who? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 greig

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Get in touch with who? How?

Probably easiest way is to go through their Facebook page or website grestonesartsfestival.com

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Dont forget. Fireworks display on sunday evning at the harbour. As also the grape (greystones arts and photography exhibition) and crafts sale starts this sunday and will be every sunday through summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Starts on Friday - looks great

www.greystonesartsfestival.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Jimjay wrote: »
    Dont forget. Fireworks display on sunday evning at the harbour. As also the grape (greystones arts and photography exhibition) and crafts sale starts this sunday and will be every sunday through summer.

Did I hear that they are going to charge a fiver in? (not sure how they will police that!)

Edit: Yes!
    http://www.greystonesartsfestival.com/programme-of-events/greystones-fireworks/

Edit: Rant!
    2 euros for Cars (why not ban cars on the night to allow folks to watch in comfort.
    Why not have folks with collection buckets so attendees can volunteer donation.
    If I go to up the Anchor will I be moved on because I have not paid?!!
    I would be happy to donate toward festival costs but in the context of the contempt that Sisk/Wicklow CoCo have for the community this 'entrance fee' really sticks in my craw

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    Did I hear that they are going to charge a fiver in? (not sure how they will police that!)

2 euros for Cars (why not ban cars on the night to allow folks to watch in comfort.
    I would be happy to donate toward festival costs but in the context of the contempt that Sisk/Wicklow CoCo have for the community this 'entrance fee' really sticks in my craw

I don't think the festival finances and the harbour issue can really be linked like that. They are ENTIRELY separate issues and to be honest 2 Euro isn't that much really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The fireworks cost a lot of money. Its' a very small fee to help cover costs. I suppose it will be tricky enough to police on the night but I would hope that the vast majority of people are honest and would be happy to contribute such a small amount for a great evenings entertainment for themselves and their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

legrand wrote: »

I don't think cars are allowed in the harbour area for that evening, the 2 euro charge is PER PERSON. Maybe it is only in the harbour confines that they are charging for but I think it is a disgrace to have a charge at all. I know it costs to put on these shows but street festivals should not have a mandatory charge, I agree with a collection being made and I will donate. But an admission charge is not right in my opinion.

"There will be entertainment from 8.00pm for all the family. The harbour car park will have an admission of €2 per person and €5 for family of four (Children in buggies free) (Children under 6 foc)"

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I don't think cars are allowed in the harbour area for that evening, the 2 euro charge is PER PERSON. Maybe it is only in the harbour confines that they are charging for but I think it is a disgrace to have a charge at all. I know it costs to put on these shows but street festivals should not have a mandatory charge, I agree with a collection being made and I will donate. But an admission charge is not right in my opinion.

"There will be entertainment from 8.00pm for all the family. The harbour car park will have an admission of €2 per person and €5 for family of four (Children in buggies free) (Children under 6 foc)"

Yes, as far as i know the carpark will be closed all day. Grape exhibitors will have a pass but have to leave straight away after the exhibition.

I really don't see the problem at all with a charge at the festival - the fireworks cost a lot of money, the festival itself costs a lot of money.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

"The harbour car park will be closed on Sunday 2nd June to facilitate the Festival events and fireworks.

There will be access to launch and retrieve boats and parking for harbour users with trailers during the day only.

The south pier will be closed from 3pm to all activities including angling"

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    "The harbour car park will be closed on Sunday 2nd June to facilitate the Festival events and fireworks.

There will be access to launch and retrieve boats and parking for harbour users with trailers during the day only.

The south pier will be closed from 3pm to all activities including angling"

Quick question...have the organisers thought about motorhomes that may or may not turn up for the weekend ? There are likely to be a few parked up there. Will they be moved on or moved to a corner ?

Grainne McLoughlin will be able to answer that one Swanner, she is the chief organiser.

Swanner wrote: »
    Quick question...have the organisers thought about motorhomes that may or may not turn up for the weekend ? There are likely to be a few parked up there. Will they be moved on or moved to a corner ?

Overnight parking is no longer allowed and there are big signs up for last few weeks stating that. I presume this is to stop campers using it (imo a shame)

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Grainne McLoughlin will be able to answer that one Swanner, she is the chief organiser.

Thanks John. I'll see her on Friday and will ask then. Just thought one of the organisers might be on here.
    Jimjay wrote: »
    Overnight parking is no longer allowed and there are big signs up for last few weeks stating that. I presume this is to stop campers using it (imo a shame)

Thanks Jimjay. Probably a discussion for the harbour thread but in relation to the festival, it would be a real shame to stop people parking there over the weekend. We just can't afford to be turning visitors away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Swanner wrote: »

Wondering about that one myself, but I see the barrier at the station car park has been opened and there are three campers in there this morning.
    I hope it's just for the duration of the festival and they are allowed back afterwards an they are not enforcing the no overnight parking notice, it would a short term move anyhow as it wouldn't seem like a good idea to leave the barrier open for any length of time.
    With the removal of most of the parking on Marine Road there would be nowhere else for them to go.
    Anyway as you say this is for another thread, but IMHO we need every visitor we can get!

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Wondering about that one myself, but I see the barrier at the station car park has been opened and there are three campers in there this morning.
    I hope it's just for the duration of the festival and they are allowed back afterwards an they are not enforcing the no overnight parking notice, it would a short term move anyhow as it wouldn't seem like a good idea to leave the barrier open for any length of time.
    With the removal of most of the parking on Marine Road there would be nowhere else for them to go.
    Anyway as you say this is for another thread, but IMHO we need every visitor we can get!

The wicklow 200 is on sunday too, starting from shoreline. There will be hundreds of visitors taking part in that from all over the country and further afield. A few of those guys come in campers, might be a bit early but some may make a holiday of it too.

Update. The wicklow 200 is 9th June, not this weekend :-)

8906121545_d484999f55_c.jpg
    Dr. Nick @ Greystones Arts Festival 2013 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Full set from the Arts Festival 2013 will be on www.greystonesguide.ie

Great value in cheese at the The cheese lady in the market at the burnaby park. They are really nice cheeses too.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Great value in cheese at the The cheese lady in the market at the burnaby park. They are really nice cheeses too.

La Touche Wines, just at the railway bridge. Glass of Prosecco with Strawberry and Matt's burgers. Perfect spot to break the "long" journey from the Harbour back to the main street. We even stayed for the 2nd glass, or was it more :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Does anyone know why the Coast guard helicopter was circling the south beach for an hour this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Missing the whole thing due to Dublin commitments. How has the atmosphere been? A lot of visitors have come in I hope? Great for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Missing the whole thing due to Dublin commitments. How has the atmosphere been? A lot of visitors have come in I hope? Great for the town.

We were at it both days.great food great entertainment all kids had a ball . And family friendly atmosphere..well done arts festival./anybody involved and people of greystones..

Does anyone know why the Coast guard helicopter was circling the south beach for an hour this afternoon?

A missing person had been reported and there was a full search along the beach including Helicopter, Coast guard RIB, fishing boats and shore line search. Nothing found - so hopefully a false alarm.

Wow. Its amazing to see the town so busy. Even a tour coach to glendalough heard about it and stopped by the harbour for half an hour to let people see.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Fireworks were nice but it a shame that people were so stupid to stop and park on the road in the middle of hill just to see them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Fireworks were spectacular. Was great to see the town buzzing over the weekend. Well done to everyone involved !!

Gourmet Greystones - followed by Greystones Arts Festival.
    2 fantastic events.
    Great Atmosphere and great to see everyone just strolling around, relaxing and enjoying themselves this weekend. Well done to everyone involved.

As Cuddlycavies posted elsewhere ...
    "It's a food town with cafes, ... Food stalls, etc.
    It's a tourist/daytrip town and will be a major one going forward."

I would add, "It is the perfect family, fun location".
    But surely I am biased !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep, very proud of the event and atmosphere in the town for the weekend. Well done to all.

Advertisement