Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedge

• 07-05-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi, new to the forum and know that there are a number of threads on Beech hedges but one thing not mentioned is whether it is worth putting manure on a one year old (or older) hedge. I've been aboard for a couple of years and I've notice the parents put in a hedge last year. It doesn't seem to be doing much so want to give it a boost, am I too late in the year now to add some? Should I just go for straight fertiliser?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

as long as it is well composted manure (more than 6 months) it should be ok. Ensure that the manure does not touch the bark. An d no more than 3 inches deep.

If you use fertiliser use it sparingly as there are sufficient nutrients in most soils for trees and there may be another reason why the plants are lingering.

They could just be setteling in and beech is just coming out here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Oldtree wrote: »
    as long as it is well composted manure (more than 6 months) it should be ok. Ensure that the manure does not touch the bark. An d no more than 3 inches deep.

If you use fertiliser use it sparingly as there are sufficient nutrients in most soils for trees and there may be another reason why the plants are lingering.

They could just be setteling in and beech is just coming out here now.

The manure is 2-3 years old at this stage. While the soil would be good, I wanted to try give it a bit of a boost to help it along. Unfortunately they had to compete with the grass a lot last year as they were planted in a hole rather than a proper trench so that would not have helped. May put some manure but if I was to go with fertilizer what type would you suggest? Will also throw some grass cuttings on top to help keep down the weeds/grass as I have strimmed and sprayed them off the area.

Advertisement