Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do banks cash cheques?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I have received a cheque from an AIB company a/c that is made payable to me for just over €100, it's not crossed or anything, just signed by one person at the bottom. I do not have an account with AIB, would I be able to go into an AIB branch and cash the cheque?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have received a cheque from an AIB company a/c that is made payable to me for just over €100, it's not crossed or anything, just signed by one person at the bottom. I do not have an account with AIB, would I be able to go into an AIB branch and cash the cheque?

Why not go to your own Branch of what ever bank you are with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Why not go to your own Branch of what ever bank you are with?

Because then I will have to wait for it to clear, I could do with the money today, they have left me waiting long enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Because then I will have to wait for it to clear, I could do with the money today, they have left me waiting long enough for it.

If you want Cash, you tend to have to go to the Branch that issues the Cheque.

I think AIB have some rules about not cashing cheques for non-customers, not sure.

If you want Cash, you tend to have to go to the Branch that issues the Cheque.

I think AIB have some rules about not cashing cheques for non-customers, not sure.

My mum is a very good customer there, if I signed the back of it, do you think they would cash it for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If its made payable to you and you sign the back of it and then your mother signs the back of it in front of the teller they might. They may also refuse and ask her to lodge it.

However, as stated it must be presented in the AIB branch its issued from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

If its made payable to you and you sign the back of it and then your mother signs the back of it in front of the teller they might. They may also refuse and ask her to lodge it.

However, as stated it must be presented in the AIB branch its issued from.

not true. Any aib branch will cash an aib cheque for you regardless of which aib branch its drawn on as long as its not crossed, endorsed by yourself and your mother and you have identification with you. And obviously as long as there are funds in the drawers account to meet it

not true. Any aib branch will cash an aib cheque for you regardless of which aib branch its drawn on as long as its not crossed, endorsed by yourself and your mother and you have identification with you. And obviously as long as there are funds in the drawers account to meet it

Didn't even try this as a received a general 'no' on the topic from the other posters, lodged it to my UB a/c instead, they said it would take 6 working days to clear, that was Tuesday but it has in fact cleared this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iriship

Not true it's there police to in "my view" brake the law and make you deposit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

iriship wrote: »
    Not true it's there police to in "my view" brake the law and make you deposit it

It's not breaking the law.

Hi Nervous Wreck ,I got below fromP. Breathnach and looked it up as well. do you have any thing to back up your clame that its not braking the law and do you work for a finacel body or legel firm?
    thanks for your input any way

The core law on cheques is included in the Bills of Exchange Act, 1882. Full text here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/45-46/61. Ignore the annotations: they apply to the UK.

The relevant section is s.73:
    Quote:
    73 Cheque defined.

A cheque is a bill of exchange drawn on a banker payable on demand.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Part, the provisions of this Act applicable to a bill of exchange payable on demand apply to a cheque.
    The very definition of a cheque says that it is payable on demand. So if you resort to the banker on whom it is drawn, you should be paid.

There are a number of "outs" for the bank, such as:
    - the cheque is crossed;
    - there is a defect in the drawing of the cheque;
    - the drawer has died or been declared insane;
    - there are insufficient funds available to the drawer;
    - there is reasonable doubt about the title of the holder presenting the cheque for payment;
    - etc.

But the bank can refuse to cash a cheque only if it has a specific reason relating to the cheque itself - not a reason based in "bank policy". A policy to disregard the law is not defensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

iriship wrote: »
    Hi Nervous Wreck ,I got below fromP. Breathnach and looked it up as well. do you have any thing to back up your clame that its not braking the law and do you work for a finacel body or legel firm?
    thanks for your input any way

The core law on cheques is included in the Bills of Exchange Act, 1882. Full text here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/45-46/61. Ignore the annotations: they apply to the UK.

The relevant section is s.73:
    Quote:
    73 Cheque defined.

A cheque is a bill of exchange drawn on a banker payable on demand.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Part, the provisions of this Act applicable to a bill of exchange payable on demand apply to a cheque.
    The very definition of a cheque says that it is payable on demand. So if you resort to the banker on whom it is drawn, you should be paid.

There are a number of "outs" for the bank, such as:
    - the cheque is crossed;
    - there is a defect in the drawing of the cheque;
    - the drawer has died or been declared insane;
    - there are insufficient funds available to the drawer;
    - there is reasonable doubt about the title of the holder presenting the cheque for payment;
    - etc.

But the bank can refuse to cash a cheque only if it has a specific reason relating to the cheque itself - not a reason based in "bank policy". A policy to disregard the law is not defensible.

Err, that's a link to a UK website... Also, my employment status is not really any of your business, no offence meant. If you think what the bank is doing is illegal, by all means contact the Gardai or the financial ombudsman. If it yields results, I'll gladly take back what I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Err, that's a link to a UK website...
    It's a link to legislation that was passed when Ireland was part of the UK, and that still applies here. The annotations are not relevant to Ireland, which is why I wrote "Ignore the annotations: they apply to the UK.".

First I will eco the "no offence meant" nor do I mean any in the next’s lines below.

(1) We ware part UK at time law was written and we in Ireland held on to the UK law and in most cases still do. There was an update in Ireland to it, in last one I know 1950's to stop bank having problems with dud or robbed checks i think.

Irish gov site. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1882/...061/index.html

(2) the request for your employment status. Was to ask you, to “show” how you "know”, that it’s “NOT”, breaking the law.
    It was to ascertain you’re competent in saying with such confidants it’s “not breaking the law”.
    Perhaps you do have some training\education in this area?

I am not trying to be funny here if you “show” me where I am wrong.
    Please, please show me. Save me wasting my time.

(3) If I contact the Garda,
    I will be asked under what law\statute I am making the complaint.
    If I point them to the one above, I will most likely be told that it is civil matter not criminal even if I think it’s a criminal.

Garda are not that pushed and have you ever try to contact the Garda fraud unit? No email and do not respond to voice mail.
    As for the ombudsman (very good group) will only deal with you after you have gone all way with the banks complaint procedure? That can take mounts.

Sorry for any speeling or grammer mistakes as I am Dyslexic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Please, please, please spellcheck Iriship. You are not making it very easy to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

not true. Any aib branch will cash an aib cheque for you regardless of which aib branch its drawn on as long as its not crossed,it

Are you sure?

I always thought that if a aib or any other bank cheque from a branch had to be cashed in that specific branch from where it's issued?

Advertisement