Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Education Allowance Question

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I've applied for a munber of third level courses. I've been unemployed since last July. I have previously completed a Bachelors Degree (Level 7), during which I got a VEC grant. The courses that I applied for are also level 7. Does anyone know if I will be eligible for the Back to Education Allowance despite having already completed a course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

AFAIK you have to be progressing to a level higher than the one you have i.e if you have a level 5 then you need to be going for a level 6 and so on. I think you should discuss it with your local office because they might make an exception although I don't know how often that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I was told in my social welfare office that I have to be progressing. I have a level 7, and I can't do another level 7 course. It has to be a level 8 Degree in order to get the btea.

I am looking at doing a level 8, and have been told I will get it. But no one knows until actually apply. As the post previously said, they may make an exception, but unlikely.

Is there any level 8 in a course you could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I concur with the others, you must move on to a level 8 in order to get funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

To note I think this would be an add-on year and not a full level 8 degree. I.e the add-on year will make turn your level 7 degree into a level 8. I highly doubt you'll get free fee's, grants and/or BTEA for a full 3/4 year level 8 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Hey guys,

Have a similar question. I've a degree already and want to go back to do Midwifery. It wont be until '14 that I'd be hoping to start. I may be eligable for Single Family Payment due to decrease in wages recently. I understand I'm liable for fees and have been saving and putting plans in place for this but wondering does anyone know can I keep the single family payment while I go to college?

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement