Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to suck it up (Total novice)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

So after my pretty shocking weekend I felt 100% better yesterday so laced up the shoes and went out for a ‘quick’ spin around the park in the blistering heat.

Run 5.05km – Pace 5.01 min/km – Time 25.19 mins -541 Calories

It’s incredible how much difference a couple of days off training makes. The weather also played a part in it of course but I really struggled from about 3k in. Legs and lungs were burning.

Happy to get it under my belt though and back to some level of normality.

The scales also had good news for me this morning……I’m under 90kg for the first time in a long while. Not much under to be fair but to see the number 8 first was a great pick me up. The dietary changes and the running is really starting to make me feel like a new person. I’m down another hole on my belt, and I have been complemented in work on my ‘new’ work shirts. (they are not actually new but haven’t been able to wear them in well over a year)

Weight loss 94kg to 89.6kg

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

So after my pretty shocking weekend I felt 100% better yesterday so laced up the shoes and went out for a ‘quick’ spin around the park in the blistering heat.

Run 5.05km – Pace 5.01 min/km – Time 25.19 mins -541 Calories

It’s incredible how much difference a couple of days off training makes. The weather also played a part in it of course but I really struggled from about 3k in. Legs and lungs were burning.

Happy to get it under my belt though and back to some level of normality.

The scales also had good news for me this morning……I’m under 90kg for the first time in a long while. Not much under to be fair but to see the number 8 first was a great pick me up. The dietary changes and the running is really starting to make me feel like a new person. I’m down another hole on my belt, and I have been complemented in work on my ‘new’ work shirts. (they are not actually new but haven’t been able to wear them in well over a year)

Weight loss 94kg to 89.6kg

Fair play to you, that's a fair amount to lose over a short enough period (although the weekend of pain might have had something to do with it as well ;)). I've gone from about 96 to 89 over the last year or so as well, but I'd say I've probably lost more bad weight and put on a bit of good weight at the same time, so the overall benefit is even greater.

Cheers mate,

To be honest I had the weight to lose in the first place so the first bit came off handy enough. Im not expecting much more to come off too easily though.

The weekend definately took its fair chunk of water weight (lost 2kg in a day) but that bounced straight back up to where I was before the illness 2 days later.

I've still got a fair bit of weight around the mid section to go still so hopefully if I take care of the diet which I have been doing it will continue to shift.

When I get to 85kg I will be happy. Happier still when I reach 80:D

Nice handy day yesterday.

I did 5k in total but only timed 3k as the first and last were just veryslow warm ups.

Run 3.04km – Pace 4.48 min/km – Time 14.36 mins -323 Calories

Nothing to report really

OK, I’m back in action. My illness turned into a nasty chest infection so had me laid up for a week of coughing and spluttering

Went out for a quick run yesterday.

Run 5.02km – Pace 5.09 min/km – Time 25.54 mins -527 Calories

Glad to be back in action. It was a tough one and was wrecked afterwards but feeling good today. Out again tonight for another spin.

Weight has thankfully stayed pretty much the same at around 89.5kg so i'm happy I haven’t piled a load back on.

• Advertisement

you might find the few days off of benefit in the long run actually, i couldn't run for two weeks in april because of flu/sinusitis but my legs felt really fresh after the rest (although my lungs were burning for a few runs!).

Cheers Fr, that's exactly what I needed to hear! Glad I haven't totally ruined any level of fitness that I have managed to achieve thus far.

I was back out again last night and felt pretty good

Run 5.04km – Pace 4.56 min/km – Time 24.52 mins -540 Calories

Hardly record pace even for me but I'm just glad the lungs and legs are back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Cheers Fr, that's exactly what I needed to hear! Glad I haven't totally ruined any level of fitness that I have managed to achieve thus far.

I was back out again last night and felt pretty good

Run 5.04km – Pace 4.56 min/km – Time 24.52 mins -540 Calories

Hardly record pace even for me but I'm just glad the lungs and legs are back in action.

JK, it's crucial that you accept the lows along the way. It won't be all improvements, weight loss and pb's! (That said, I've run about 7 or 8 Halfs and each one has been a pb!). Getting back out each time is what's important. Good luck and enjoy the Summer.

Had a great day yesterday and was full of energy. I had an espresso about 5 mins before I went out which I am giving all the credit to.

Run 5.01km – Pace 4.42 min/km – Time 23.36 mins -542 Calories

This is my new PB for 5k. I was delighted with this one and even happier that I seem to be feeling even better than I was before I got sick as Fr Clint mentioned above.

Nice slow one yesterday around the usual track

Run 5.00km – Pace 5.11 min/km – Time 25.55mins -535 Calories

I am getting a bit worried about my lack of mileage and think I should try and get a few LSRs under my belt.

Would anyone have any words of wisdom? If my race pace is around 4.50/5.00 min/km for 5k should I be looking at the 6 min/km mark or is this way too easy?

• Advertisement

Nice slow one yesterday around the usual track

Run 5.00km – Pace 5.11 min/km – Time 25.55mins -535 Calories

I am getting a bit worried about my lack of mileage and think I should try and get a few LSRs under my belt.

Would anyone have any words of wisdom? If my race pace is around 4.50/5.00 min/km for 5k should I be looking at the 6 min/km mark or is this way too easy?

I realised I needed to get some LSRs in (i.e. I heard of LSRs) at the start of the year and my first one was about 12kms, having only run a maximum of 10kms before that. I built it up slowly, and I've done about 20kms a couple of times, and I'll continue to increase that. For me, I've found 5.40mins/km to a good pace for those runs, but anything out to 6.00/6.20 mins/km would probably be fine I'd say, as far as I know the important thing about an LSR is time spent on your feet as opposed to distance covered. Some plans actually describe the LSR in terms of time rather than distance. I think there's a rule of thumb about how much your LSR should be out your weekly mileage as well, something like a third, so if you're doing 30kms in a week only 10kms of that should be in your LSR.

Cheers Fr, that's a great help thanks very much.

Will head out tonight and go nice and slow. I think I like the time idea. I might just head out for an hour and see how I go. Should be around the 10k mark id say.

Thanks again

Ok, went out to try my first LSR yesterday and it was so bloody hard!

I tried my best to go slower than I usually go (around the 6min/km mark) but i just couldn't do it. When I was going slow I found that my legs muscles were much more painful than they would normally be. And the pain was in a different area of my legs if you know what I mean. Its like I was using a totally different set of muscles than I have been using on my quicker runs. So after dragging myself around the first 3k I just decided to run at my normal pace again to finish it out.

It was really humid out there last night too. I was dripping with sweat when i finally finished.

Anyway, I got around in what ended up being my PB for 10k. (Out of a total of 2!)

Run 10.00km – Pace 5.27 min/km – Time 54.31mins -1056 Calories

I think I am getting addicted to the feeling I get after I finish a run. During the run its still really tough for me but as soon as I stop I get such a wonderful sense of achievement and pride.

Thinking of signing up to the 5k in the Park on Sunday before I head on holiday on Tuesday.

I'm heading to the sun for 17 days so I really need to plan what I am going to do running wise. I am going to have to get up early as the heat where i am off to (Greek Islands) is apparently in the 30's. I don't have a GPS watch and don't fancy using my phone GPS as it is a work phone and boss will kill me is he sees a load of internet charges.
    I was thinking of just heading out each morning and doing 30mins and head back. Has anyone else been in a similar position?

I tried my best to go slower than I usually go (around the 6min/km mark) but i just couldn't do it. When I was going slow I found that my legs muscles were much more painful than they would normally be. And the pain was in a different area of my legs if you know what I mean. Its like I was using a totally different set of muscles than I have been using on my quicker runs. So after dragging myself around the first 3k I just decided to run at my normal pace again to finish it out.

It was really humid out there last night too. I was dripping with sweat when i finally finished.

Anyway, I got around in what ended up being my PB for 10k. (Out of a total of 2!)

I think I am getting addicted to the feeling I get after I finish a run. During the run its still really tough for me but as soon as I stop I get such a wonderful sense of achievement and pride.

Thinking of signing up to the 5k in the Park on Sunday before I head on holiday on Tuesday.

I'm heading to the sun for 17 days so I really need to plan what I am going to do running wise. I am going to have to get up early as the heat where i am off to (Greek Islands) is apparently in the 30's. I don't have a GPS watch and don't fancy using my phone GPS as it is a work phone and boss will kill me is he sees a load of internet charges.
    I was thinking of just heading out each morning and doing 30mins and head back. Has anyone else been in a similar position?

You have a point about the slower pace and using different muscles but I guess the experts would say, that's the whole point!! Don't give up on the slower run and don't forget about recovery as your tough sessions get tougher. I never tire of saying (though I haven't always practiced it myself): Hard days hard, easy days easy. Or even better: H days H, E days E and Medium days medium.

As for the hols, enjoy and if you can get out for a bit before the heat, all the better. Holiday running can be tough for a few reasons. Two of the few being beer and wine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Was on a Greek island last year, found it:
    A. Too warm to run
    B. too difficult to get up early!

Best of luck with it, it's tough running in that heat.
    What might work for you though is to run 1 mile to warm up, then find a hill and run up it fast, back down slow - do that a few times and then do a 1 m cool down.
    Might only take 20 mins, but will keep you strong and do wonders for you when u get back. Just do it every 3rd/4th day as you'll do your self damage otherwise!.
    Another thing is to look at doing 2 weeks worth of core/squats/lunges etc, with no running.......

But most importantly, enjoy the hols.

Cheers lads,

I know the running will be very tough on holidays but have to do something as I would hate to be back to square one after over indulging in food etc.

That's a great idea RunningKing thank you. There are plenty on hills around there for me to find. Won't go out everyday but will try every couple of days anyway for a 20-30 minute spin.

What's your swimming like? Few sessions in the salt water would be handy. Even if you're not too hot, the water will be great after a run. The hardest thing I find about getting out early - apart from the aforementioned beer and wine of the night before! - is the fact that it's precisely when you can get a bit of kip if the night's been too warm.

My swimming is awful Itziger. Two shoulder surgeries has left me with only the breast stroke as an option.

I would definitely be keen on getting in after a run but only to float about.

I am only going with herself so cant imagine the nights being too late (famous last words) so my plan is to do every 2nd or 3rd morning. Even if it means a quick jog before back to bed. I'm pretty good in the mornings to be honest

Can't wait to read back on this next month!

Ok I am back in lovely Ireland following my nice and relaxing holiday.

As all the wise people said above, running in the sun was horrific and very tough going even in the morning.

I went out a grand total of 4 times over 16 days which is nothing to be proud of I must say.

I just found it too difficult on the lungs and the legs.

Clocked up around 20kms over the few days with a slow enough pace but did a few runs up steps too to get the heart pumping. We also did quite a lot of walking over the holiday so im not feeling too bad although I have put back on 2kg.

I popped back to my rugby club on Monday too to help out with a coaching role and to do a bit of the preseason running stuff too.

Ran 3.5km before the session and joined in with the lads on sprints & weights etc.

I might have bitten off more than I can chew though so soon after coming back from holiday.

My shins are killing me when I tilt my feet upwards. Hope its not shin splints!

Back to the grind again for a 5k or so tonight.

(I missed the 10km race I had planned in Swords due to delayed flights and only getting back to Ireland at 2.30am with the race that morning)

Ok, I am back on the running bandwagon at last.

I didn’t want to resurrect this tread simply because I wanted to make sure I was going to do it properly this time.

I started back running on 28/01/2014 after a good 6 months off doing very little due to laziness and work commitments.

Since 28/01 (3 weeks ago yesterday) I have run the following courtesy of my new Garmin 110 which I love.

• Activities 14
    • Distance 80.61 km / 50 miles
    • Time 8:19:55 hrs

My other half is joining me on maybe two runs per week which I am very much enjoying due to the fact when she comes out with me I run at her pace which is a little bit slower than mine but I am seeing the benefits from running slower already.

My plan is to run 5 days per week, 4 nights after work and 1 run during the weekend. My long term plan is to do the DCM 2014 (can’t believe I am saying that). Goal time I suppose is TBC but I would be hoping for around the 4:15 mark.

For the moment I haven’t got a training plan as it is too far out to do a Hal Higdon but all I am trying to do is get out as much as possible and increase the mileage slowly just to put a bit of distance in the legs.

I am trying not to worry about times for my runs at the moment but that is easier said than done.

My longest run since coming back has only been a 10K but hoping to gradually increase that by 10% per week or so.

My normal run in the evening is a 5.85km loop around where I live and Marlay Park at the weekends. I will be extending the distance of the loop gradually for my midweek runs and getting my LSRs in the park and its surroundings.

I will be posting here like I did before after most of my runs to keep myself honest and the advice I got the last time from you folk was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Went out last night and went a different / longer route around where I live and ended up doing the following:

Run 12.00km – Pace 5.55 min/km – Time 1:11:06

Its the first time I have ever ran for over an hour and I really enjoyed it.

I am purposely trying to keep my km time at around 6min/km and going further rather than trying to up the speed for the moment. I reckon that at that pace I would be set to do the 42km marathon in 4:15. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this? Should I be throwing in a few interval sessions too to pick up the pace or leave that for a few months down the line?

I am starting to find that my feet start to go numb after around 8k or so especially my right foot which is starting to bother me. I have loosened my laces and I still get it so I'm not sure what it is, also my calves and achilles seem to get very tight after only a few KMs. Its not stopping me from running but the little niggles are quite annoying.

I stretch before and after my runs especially my lower legs but it just keeps happening. A mate of mine suggested getting a foam roller which I will do when pay day comes around. I hope that will knock the pain on the head.

I suppose my legs just might be taking a bit of time to get used to being used so much.

Run 5.00km – Pace 5.21 min/km – Time 26.42

A pacey enough 5k for me around the usual route. Stopped to walk the last 0.85km as I was wrecked from it.

Taking a day off this evening to give the legs a rest.

Went out last night and went a different / longer route around where I live and ended up doing the following:

Run 12.00km – Pace 5.55 min/km – Time 1:11:06

Its the first time I have ever ran for over an hour and I really enjoyed it.

I am purposely trying to keep my km time at around 6min/km and going further rather than trying to up the speed for the moment. I reckon that at that pace I would be set to do the 42km marathon in 4:15. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this? Should I be throwing in a few interval sessions too to pick up the pace or leave that for a few months down the line?

I am starting to find that my feet start to go numb after around 8k or so especially my right foot which is starting to bother me. I have loosened my laces and I still get it so I'm not sure what it is, also my calves and achilles seem to get very tight after only a few KMs. Its not stopping me from running but the little niggles are quite annoying.

I stretch before and after my runs especially my lower legs but it just keeps happening. A mate of mine suggested getting a foam roller which I will do when pay day comes around. I hope that will knock the pain on the head.

I suppose my legs just might be taking a bit of time to get used to being used so much.

Easy does it. For now forget the pace, you want to set down a decent base and distance trumps speed in this case. Plenty time for the fancy stuff later. What marathon you aiming for? I wouldn't bother with a watch for some of those longer runs. Once you know the distance and route just do it a few times with no consideration of time.

Thanks Itziger that's good advice.

It's way too easy on the Garmin Connect site to be looking way too much into pace and splits and things like that.

I find if I'm not running faster or further each time I am a little bit disappointed.

What do you think on the longer runs though? Should I be making these longer each time I do one? Bear in mind my longest run to date is only 12k. I presume I should be looking at a 10% increase in distance at least each time I do one per week?

DCM 2014 is the goal. Is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Thanks Itziger that's good advice.

It's way too easy on the Garmin Connect site to be looking way too much into pace and splits and things like that.

I find if I'm not running faster or further each time I am a little bit disappointed.

What do you think on the longer runs though? Should I be making these longer each time I do one? Bear in mind my longest run to date is only 12k. I presume I should be looking at a 10% increase in distance at least each time I do one per week?

DCM 2014 is the goal. Is it possible?

Good man John keep it up, I was readung your thread from start to finish and got as far as your holiday and you said how you got out a good few times and I was in total awww of you cause when I go on holidays altho my intentions are good I hardly ever do a run. But then you thread went dead which just shows you are human afterall. Your times were very impressive for a beginner getting 5km/hour average pace for a runner thats never ran in an official race is very good. I am very similar to you prob not as fast but I do love to run but seem to lapse now and again. Although like you om hoping this time I keep at it. My aim this year is a few 10, 8 and 5kms and at the very most maybe a half marathon but ill see how im going.

John, I'm not an expert so take the following with a pinch of salt.

You DEFINITELY need to up the distance. This is non-negotiable. But you have time, there's an old '10%' rule of only upping the Long Run by 10% each time though I wouldn't take that too mathematically. I mean, if you were to go from 12k to 14k you'd technically be breaking that rule!

Another oldie states that you go something like 12k, 14k, 16k, 12k….. that's to say you up it and then take a mini break. The back again, 14, 16, 18, 10, that kind of thing. On the shorter week you might do the weekend run a bit faster or you might make it a race. Say a 10k race. You do have time to get to Dublin 2014.

For me, the big thing is to avoid injury and over training. If you get to mid Summer and you're up around 20k, you're laughing. I would take those longer runs nice and easy. If you start to feel comfortable with the distance, you can test yourself and try upping the pace in the second half of one of em, but first you have to get the distance. You're probably spotting a trend by now;) Good luck.

Good man John keep it up, I was readung your thread from start to finish and got as far as your holiday and you said how you got out a good few times and I was in total awww of you cause when I go on holidays altho my intentions are good I hardly ever do a run. But then you thread went dead which just shows you are human afterall. Your times were very impressive for a beginner getting 5km/hour average pace for a runner thats never ran in an official race is very good. I am very similar to you prob not as fast but I do love to run but seem to lapse now and again. Although like you om hoping this time I keep at it. My aim this year is a few 10, 8 and 5kms and at the very most maybe a half marathon but ill see how im going.

Cheers mate,

To be totally honest it is far too easy just just forget about making the effort to get out and run.

I was speaking to a wise mate of mine not so long ago over a few beers and he said 'make excuses to run and not excuses not to run' and it has really stuck with me. I'm sure he heard it elsewhere and was just passing it on to me but I actually say it to myself every day when I know I am heading out that evening for a jog.

It's so easy to forget how good you feel after a run when you have stopped for a few days/weeks/months but when you get back on the horse the great feeling hits you again and hard.

It's not just the sense of satisfaction or achievement of getting up off your ar$e and doing something but all the extra bonuses you get for free i.e. sleep better, feel better and less irritable (as mentioned by my other half)

You will do the HM no bother to you! Get yourself signed up.

Itziger wrote: »
    John, I'm not an expert so take the following with a pinch of salt.

You DEFINITELY need to up the distance. This is non-negotiable. But you have time, there's an old '10%' rule of only upping the Long Run by 10% each time though I wouldn't take that too mathematically. I mean, if you were to go from 12k to 14k you'd technically be breaking that rule!

Another oldie states that you go something like 12k, 14k, 16k, 12k….. that's to say you up it and then take a mini break. The back again, 14, 16, 18, 10, that kind of thing. On the shorter week you might do the weekend run a bit faster or you might make it a race. Say a 10k race. You do have time to get to Dublin 2014.

For me, the big thing is to avoid injury and over training. If you get to mid Summer and you're up around 20k, you're laughing. I would take those longer runs nice and easy. If you start to feel comfortable with the distance, you can test yourself and try upping the pace in the second half of one of em, but first you have to get the distance. You're probably spotting a trend by now;) Good luck.

Great advice again, thanks a million Itziger. I'm taking all this on board.

I felt pretty good during my 12k which was very hilly so I am thinking of doing a 15k this weekend in the Phoenix Pk just so i have have that as my base to increase by the 10% or so.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Cheers mate,

To be totally honest it is far too easy just just forget about making the effort to get out and run.

I was speaking to a wise mate of mine not so long ago over a few beers and he said 'make excuses to run and not excuses not to run' and it has really stuck with me. I'm sure he heard it elsewhere and was just passing it on to me but I actually say it to myself every day when I know I am heading out that evening for a jog.

It's so easy to forget how good you feel after a run when you have stopped for a few days/weeks/months but when you get back on the horse the great feeling hits you again and hard.

It's not just the sense of satisfaction or achievement of getting up off your ar$e and doing something but all the extra bonuses you get for free i.e. sleep better, feel better and less irritable (as mentioned by my other half)

You will do the HM no bother to you! Get yourself signed up.

Cheers well ill see I struggle with getting the time to train for long distances such as HM due to work I work away quite alot and do long hours so I can go sometimes from mon to fri without getting a run in. Thats my only problem and a small heal injury at the moment, ill keep going and see at the end of April where I am. Ill follow your thread with interest. Best of Luck.

• Advertisement

I wasn't planning on going out last night and to be honest I didn't really want to either.

Herself got home late from a day out of pampering with her mother and she was feeling guilty for having not been out since Monday so she started lacing up her running shoes.

I felt slightly guilty for her going out by herself at 10 o'clock at night so I did the noble thing and decided to keep her company on a slow 5k

Run 5.00km – Pace 6.05 min/km – Time 30:23

Nothing to report at all other than I didn't have a coffee before I went out which I normally do religiously and found I was struggling somewhat for a bit of energy. It was either that or I just wasn't expecting to go out and my body decided to make a bit of a stand against me.

All done anyway and definitely not going out tonight to make it 5 nights in row. Day off and will do one LSR on the weekend.

Advertisement