Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to suck it up (Total novice)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

LSR done this morning and longest distance to date

Run 15.00km

Didn't pay much attention to the pace at all as I brought herself along for the first 10k then she stopped for a coffee whilst I continued on for a further 5k.

I really really enjoyed this. The first 2-3k were tough with a bit of calf pain but that quickly subsided after I kept going.

The first 10k was slow enough but after I was left on my own I decided to put the foot down slightly and the last 5 was notably quicker.

The whole thing was done in around the 1:30 hour mark which I know is slow but I'm really not bothered about that for the moment. I was actually surprised how well I felt after it and I was sure I could have gone for at least another 5k but I don't want to push it too early.

The 15k is now my base for my LSRs which I will increase by 10% or so per week from now on.

This running lark is seriously addictive!

Run 5.00km – Pace 5.24 min/km – Time 27:01

Nice and handy first 2.5k with the wind at my back and I was in record pace (without intending it to be)

Second half was a totally different story running into a serious headwind.

I couldn't wait until pay day until I bought a foam roller so I took the plunge tonight buying one off Amazon.

I really can't wait for it to arrive as my calves need some serious attention. Any time I run even slightly quicker or uphill they start to tighten up on me.

I think I may be due another pair of shoes too. The ones I have are a pair I bought online so they could well be totally wrong for my feet. I reckon I have a serious heal strike too which isn't helping. I will head to Amphibian King next week if the funds allow it to get myself properly tested. (brought herself there a few weeks back and was seriously impressed with the set up and service)

Run 8.00km – Pace 5.50 min/km – Time 46.43

Different route taken tonight, wasn't 100% sure of where I was going but I didn't really mind.

Nothing to report really other than I am finding these mid week runs easier and easier. I will continue to add to the distance of them over the next few weeks/months without going too mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Run 8.00km – Pace 5.50 min/km – Time 46.43

Different route taken tonight, wasn't 100% sure of where I was going but I didn't really mind.

Nothing to report really other than I am finding these mid week runs easier and easier. I will continue to add to the distance of them over the next few weeks/months without going too mad.
    Great stuff John, the hard work is paying off:D

Mixed it up slightly tonight on a 5k run.

I decided to put the foot down for the first 3k and go nice and slow for the last 2.

For the first 3 I did Run 3.00km – Pace 4.52 min/km – Time 14:36

The last 2 was 2.00km – Pace 5.56 min/km – Time 11:52

Total 5k in 26:28
    which is actually pretty good for me

A few lessons I've learnt:

1. My new top feels like a cheese grater on my nipples
    2. I can't maintain the 04:52 km pace for very long
    3. A lot of you reading this have no clue what I'm on about as I talk in KM's. (Will change to miles next week)
    4. I secretly enjoy scaring the bejaysus out of people out walking by running past them from behind when they aren't expecting it
    5. I didn't care that I was laughed at by my work colleagues when my copy of the book Born to Run arrived today.

• Advertisement

I must say I am very happy with myself today!

Yesterday I got a call from a mate of mine to see if I would enter a race with him today. It was obviously the fact that it was Friday and I was in good form so I said yeah why not.

I am just back from Carlingford where I did a Half Marathon.

Today was the first time I have ever been in an organised race and loved every minute of it.

As I obviously wasn't prepared for a HM and this was going to be my longest ever run by quite a distance I was hoping to maintain around a 6 min/km kind of time and come in at 2:06 but was prepared to come in around 2:15 allowing for a serious slow down.

Basically my 6 min/km went out the window fairly quickly when the whole experience got to me and I ended up averaging 5:43 min/km for the whole thing with only one km outside the 6min which was at 19 kms when i thought I was going to die.

Finished the course in 1:59:01

I am absolutely thrilled that I managed to do it I really am.

I will write a bit more about it on Monday after I have a nice long bath and a beer or three.

Well you header, fair play to you, that's a fantastic time, congrats. Enjoy the beers.

So after Saturday morning I'm still on a bit of a high after completing the HM but my God are my legs sore.

I really didn't know what to expect when we pulled up into the Hotel car park to register for the run as this was all new to me. After we had paid up and got our chips and numbers etc that's when the panic started to set in.

My stomach was jumping up and down and I was petrified I wasn't going to be able to make the finish line.

A couple of toilet stops later I positioned myself at the very back of the group while I let my mate to go the front (serious runner). I locked my Garmin on to a satellite and waited for the off.

It seemed to take a minute or so for the rear of the group to go through the start line but when I did I pressed start on the watch and off I went.

Carlingford is a beautiful place and the scenery was fantastic but the first 5k or so were uphill and I really started to wonder if this was a good idea or not.

I initially wanted to set a pace of 6 min/km for the whole run but I quickly realised if this was to happen I would be running on my own at the very back of the group until a few people dropped back.

I decided to pick out a fella I had exchanged pleasantries with before the off who was about 100m or so in front of me and catch up with him to cling on to his coattails for a bit and in the end I reckon it was a good move to do it.

When the hilly part was over everyone stretched out slightly and from then on I was pretty much on my own except for the odd person I would pass and a few people who passed me.

At 8km I managed to step into a pot hole and rolled my ankle ever so slightly. I got this stabbing pain down the outside of my ankle and thought that it was going to be curtains for the rest of the run. I changed my running style for 2k by trying to land on the inside of my foot and this helped a lot and caused no pain. After a while I went back to normal running style and ankle seemed absolutely fine. Weird.

Anyway the rest of the race was a bit of a blur. I had a few jelly beans in my pocket which I took at around half way through which gave me a serious pick up when I needed it.

I found the water station very hard to manage. (my fault not theirs) as I had never encountered one before. Anyway I managed a mouthful at each of the stations which were indeed welcome.

At 19km I totally and utterly hit the wall. I have always read about hitting the wall and never really realised what it meant.

My legs literally just stopped working. Up to that point I was running around 5.40 min/km which ended up being over 6min/km in the final two KMs. My quads were burning up on me and I had to fight so so hard to keep moving and not walk.

The last few 100 meters I saw my mate who was showered and changed out with his camera taking pictures of me and the urge to tell him to p*ss off or to give him a punch was only overshadowed by the pain I was feeling.

After I was across the finish line I thought I was going to puke,faint or both but managed to stay standing and my God I felt amazing for doing it.

My first Half Marathon done and the fact that it was under the 2 hours made it really special.

I have had an ice bath, done some foam rolling and gone for a walk but my legs are still killing me.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and go for a recovery jog this evening to hopefully loosen out the legs a bit more.

I am also going to have a look online today and see if I can sign myself up for another run in a month or so.

What a feeling!

Take it nice an easy this week slow miles. Would you try a 10km maybe? And aim for another half in a few months?

Cheers SFM that's what I was planning on doing in few weeks and enter a 10k. I just have to find a local one and see if anyone fancies coming with me.

Anyway, headed out on a recovery run tonight and the legs didn't thank me for it.

Ended up doing 4.1 miles in 45.12 mins 11.01 min/mile Thinking in miles is going to take a good bit of getting used to.

So as you can see it was VERY slow but that was the plan and didn't look at the watch once. Calves were killing me and both feet were cramping up on me but the last mile seemed to be the easiest so I'm thinking I have loosened myself out sufficiently after the weekend.

Have myself booked in for a sports massage on the legs on Wednesday which I don't know if I should be looking forward to or not!

I'm now back running 5 weeks tomorrow and have cleared 101 miles as of tonight.

• Advertisement

A real no pressure run tonight that I really enjoyed. Took a mile or so for the legs to wake up but when they did I felt really really good during it.

Run 5.00 miles – Pace 9.09 min/mile – Time 45.44

First split worked out at 09:42 whilst the last was 08:32 so I certainly had a good bit left in the tank.

Day off tomorrow for leg massage.

Very slow weekend on the running front.

I did a few intervals on Thursday night on a local running track and didn't feel too good for it at all.

On the last KM I felt one of my hamstrings tighten up on me so i stopped immediately.

I iced it when i got home and have done a bit of foam rolling on it and decided to have the weekend off as not to damage myself any further.

I will head out tonight for a very slow one to see how its feeling.

Run 7.00 miles – Pace 9.22 min/mile – Time 1.05.31

Hamstrings held up well with no niggles at all thankfully, a nice clear the head run after a pretty rotten day in work.

Herself bought a Garmin watch that came with a HRM which she has no intention on using it so I strapped myself in and off I went. Haven't really got a clue how it works to be honest but its another thing to play with I suppose. (will do a bit of reading up on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Well done John. You are really getting stuck into it. I need to get off my ass and you have just inspired me to.

Well done John. You are really getting stuck into it. I need to get off my ass and you have just inspired me to.

Cheers Gracehopper, I'm delighted that I may have inspired someone.

I can promise you, if you do get up off your ass and start hitting the pavement it will be the best decision you have made so far this year. The rewards far outweigh any suffering you will experience whilst starting off.

If I can do it and even start to enjoy it I guarantee you can do it too

Get running!

Just a 5k tonight so I could get back in time for a bit of Champions League football

5km 25:28mins 8:12 min/mile

Personal best for the 5k and felt pretty good with no leg complaints.

By now the beer is well and truly out of my system after a fairly messy long weekend.

Work was very busy on Thurs and Fri of last week so I didn't manage to get out towards the back end of last week and the weekend was just one long hangover thanks to BOD and Co.

Went out tonight for a long(ish) slow one.

13km (8.08miles) 1:20:11 9:55 min/mile

Very slow even for me but glad to get back out on the road.

Onwards and upwards

Hi John, did you pick a 10km yet?

Not yet SFM.

Booked in for another half in Wexford at the end of April. 27th I think.

There's a 10k on in Kildare on the 30th of this month that I am still looking for a few people to join me on. I reckon I will just book myself in tomorrow and do it on my own if there aren't any takers

Not yet SFM.

Booked in for another half in Wexford at the end of April. 27th I think.

There's a 10k on in Kildare on the 30th of this month that I am still looking for a few people to join me on. I reckon I will just book myself in tomorrow and do it on my own if there aren't any takers

Good stuff, its good to have something planned to keep the motivation going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

[QUOTE

There's a 10k on in Kildare on the 30th of this month that I am still looking for a few people to join me on.[/QUOTE]

hi John,
    is this the Ellistown 10k and if it is do you know what the course is like ?

jake1970 wrote: »
    [QUOTE

There's a 10k on in Kildare on the 30th of this month that I am still looking for a few people to join me on.

hi John,
    is this the Ellistown 10k and if it is do you know what the course is like ?[/QUOTE]

That's the one Jake, haven't a clue what is like I'm afraid. I would think it will be very flat given its in Kildare

Advertisement