Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland oustandijng bill query

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an outstanding bill with Electric Ireland (120e) I have since changed to Bord Gais Energy, I received a notice in the post from ESB with legal notice to pay Electric Ireland bill, my question is can the ESB cut me off although I am with Bord Gais now?

T:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi,

I have an outstanding bill with Electric Ireland (120e) I have since changed to Bord Gais Energy, I received a notice in the post from ESB with legal notice to pay Electric Ireland bill, my question is can the ESB cut me off although I am with Bord Gais now?

T:confused:
    Why don't you just pay what you owe? Afaik they can cut you off for non payment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was the notice from ESB Networks?, I suppose perhaps they could as you are still owe Electric Ireland money.

Why not just pay Electric Ireland what they are owed?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

I don't have the funds to pay it, I didn't know they (ESB) could cut off now I am customer of Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

Cabaal wrote: »
    Was the notice from ESB Networks?, I suppose perhaps they could as you are still owe Electric Ireland money.

Why not just pay Electric Ireland what they are owed?

ESB, Business Service Centre Legal

Legal Demand Letter

Contract Type : GAS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

so you moved to bord gais to avoid paying bills? AFAIK they can come after you through legal channels for the money. not sure can they cut you off however you won't be able to sign up to them again I would think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I don't think they can cut you off but they will chase you for it. I don't know what your situation is but this type of thing happens all the time in the rental sector. Tenants switch from one company to another to try and avoid paying a bill. The downside is the suppliers are well aware of this and eventually wont supply at all. Do the right thing, make arrangements to pay it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I don't have the funds to pay it, I didn't know they (ESB) could cut off now I am customer of Bord Gais.

ESB are very accommodating and would have set you up with a payment plan. I think you made the wrong decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lizog

I agree with RangeR.Ring them up and make arrangements to make a weekly payment until bill is cleared. Otherwise you may end up having to pay legal costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

ESB will not cut you off for an outstanding debt to an electricity supplier. ESB Networks will cut you off if they have a request to do so from your "current" supplier, which in your case is Bord Gais.

You will have a difficult time returning to Electric Ireland now that your MPRN has debt flagged on it. You would most likely be asked for a security deposit and the only method of payment accepted would be Direct Debit.

If you owe 250E of debt to a residential supplier for a period of 3 months or more, then any attempts you make to switch to another supplier would most likely fail as the suppliers are using debt flags to prevent customers such as yourself from debt hopping. The current provider would inform the new provider of your current debt and the typical course of action is for the new supplier to reject the transfer as they would be better off without your custom as there is too high a risk of you doing the same to them.

You could always call Electric Ireland and arrange a repayment plan which you can afford. If you let your debt get so bad, the providers will install a prepayment meter free of charge, unlike those cowboys at Prepaypower who are taking advantage of customers who already cannot afford their bills, never mind find themselves with a massive standing charge for the meter on top of the most expensive tariff on the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭good vibes

Hello there...Im in arrears to the electric Ireland to a large amount...if I move flat & want to stay with electric Ireland what happens? can I get a new supply to the new flat & pay off some of the arrears at the same time ? thanks

• Advertisement

If you talk to them, they are very accommodating. They will work with you on a payment plan. Once the payment plan is realistic.

Ring them.

its a very long story but due to a very old house with Electrical Problem's im in arrears to the tune of 1820 euros,im leaving the flat because of this.will electric Ireland even talk to me about reconnection to a new flat? because the arrears are so high? I Paid money off it every week for years & paid 900 euros at one stage,its not like i didn't pay, I have to take this further legally ,but for the time being I need a new a\c in a new Flat, i talk to E I two weeks ago they said we see your payment plan & we will try to accommodate you..but the over all bill is so high..im worried they might say no & then what...any help on this would be appreciated ...thanks Lads...

Nobody here can really help. You need to ring them. I know you don't want to but you really don't have much choice. If you lie to them, there is a high chance that you will get caught anyway.

Ring them.

.I will..il bite the bullet & call them. thanks very much for your help...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dupek

I suggest you take a copy of your old Electric Ireland bill, along to the post office & repay them at a rate you can afford.. 50c or 1 euro each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

ESB will not cut you off for an outstanding debt to an electricity supplier. ESB Networks will cut you off if they have a request to do so from your "current" supplier, which in your case is Bord Gais.

You will have a difficult time returning to Electric Ireland now that your MPRN has debt flagged on it. You would most likely be asked for a security deposit and the only method of payment accepted would be Direct Debit.

If you owe 250E of debt to a residential supplier for a period of 3 months or more, then any attempts you make to switch to another supplier would most likely fail as the suppliers are using debt flags to prevent customers such as yourself from debt hopping. The current provider would inform the new provider of your current debt and the typical course of action is for the new supplier to reject the transfer as they would be better off without your custom as there is too high a risk of you doing the same to them.

Does anyone know if it is the same if you change to PrePayPower electricity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dude240502 wrote: »

Is which bit the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If your in arrears electric Ireland will install a pre pay meter and its cheap than pineregy or prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

If you don't mind if I ask, if you are in arrears if you attempt to change to PrePayPower is it as difficult to open an account as it is with other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

dupek wrote: »
    I suggest you take a copy of your old Electric Ireland bill, along to the post office & repay them at a rate you can afford.. 50c or 1 euro each week.

They'll have to call them to put an arrangement in place if not any legal action will not be cancelled, I have a feeling that they would also be looking for more payment than that a week.

Ring bord gais and see if you meet the criteria for a pre-paid meter to be installed, as far as I know all you need is the 24hr meter and not the day and night set-up, means you'll never have to stress over or deal with this situation again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you don't mind if I ask, if you are in arrears if you attempt to change to PrePayPower is it as difficult to open an account as it is with other providers?

You'd be mad not to just ask electric Ireland for a meter, much cheaper per day and less rip of charges if the meter falls.

Also pre pay power is a12 month contract.

Your electric Ireland bill won't disappear when you leave them.

Advertisement