Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How longs too long?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Sent laptop in for RMA in February.

Ended up in a dispute for 10 weeks where they claimed the battery was at fault and wanted me to pay for the repairs. Eventually they performed some further tests and discovered it was the motherboard.

They informed me it would take another two weeks maximum to get it back to me, however three weeks later I haven't heard anything.

In total it's been nearly 14 weeks since I first sent my laptop off.

Is it permissible to lodge a small-claims case requesting a full refund?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Glazun wrote: »
    Sent laptop in for RMA in February.

Ended up in a dispute for 10 weeks where they claimed the battery was at fault and wanted me to pay for the repairs. Eventually they performed some further tests and discovered it was the motherboard.

They informed me it would take another two weeks maximum to get it back to me, however three weeks later I haven't heard anything.

In total it's been nearly 14 weeks since I first sent my laptop off.

Is it permissible to lodge a small-claims case requesting a full refund?
    Yes you should get the forms and proceed with the case.

But before that you should write a letter to the store/retailer who has sent the laptop for repair asking them to return your laptop fully repaired within three days or you will be seeking a replacement or refund through the small claims court.

Also if you are dealing with the manufacturer now and have never brought the laptop back to the retailer that is a different matter. You should write and tell them to return your property or you will initiate legal proceedings for its return, then go back to the shop/online store where you bought the item as they are the only people legally obliged to deal with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes you should get the forms and proceed with the case.

But before that you should write a letter to the store/retailer who has sent the laptop for repair asking them to return your laptop fully repaired within three days or you will be seeking a replacement or refund through the small claims court.

Also if you are dealing with the manufacturer now and have never brought the laptop back to the retailer that is a different matter. You should write and tell them to return your property or you will initiate legal proceedings for its return, then go back to the shop/online store where you bought the item as they are the only people legally obliged to deal with you.

That's what I've done. I wrote an email inquiring what the current situation is with the laptop. That was 7 days ago, I just sent a followup email warning of Small Claims action for a full refund if no one responded to me by Friday.

I'm dealing directly with the retailer, however in future I'll go to the manufacturer. I've had to contact both parties in order to resolve my issues.

Originally the retailer voided the warranty on my batteries by replacing them themselves, rather than having the manufacturer replace the battery.

Once the manufacturer discovered the battery was faulty they would not investigate further until a new battery was purchased.

Eventually, after weeks of complaining and a small claims case the retailer took the laptop back from the manufacturer, performed their own diagnostics and discovered it to be a motherboard issue.

That's when they said it'd be a maximum of two weeks, so I dropped my Small Claims case. Now three weeks later no one is responding to my emails and there's no sign of my laptop returning.

So overall I've been waiting three months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

however in future I'll go to the manufacturer
    Don't do this
    Originally the retailer voided the warranty on my batteries by replacing them themselves, rather than having the manufacturer replace the battery.
    That's the retailers problem and not yours. If retailer voids warranty, then they are liable not you. Your rights don't change. Expensive mistake for the retailer.
    That's when they said it'd be a maximum of two weeks, so I dropped my Small Claims case. Now three weeks later no one is responding to my emails and there's no sign of my laptop returning.

So overall I've been waiting three months now.

It's too long. One more email [or phone call] to Retailer to say "update and return within 5 business days or I'm going SCC again". Then go SCC if you need to.

I normally say write a letter over email or phone but in this case, you just want to give them a "quick heads up". You don't really need proof of contact, I reckon. You have all the details that you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Take this advice and be quick about it.

Get all you paper work in order, photocopy all receipts etc.

Write out a 1 page bullet point time line of all issues from purchase to today, using only info relating to the fault and you attempts to get it rectified.

Get onto the SCC website and see what else you will need to get the application complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Thanks, I had sent the retailer a warning about the claim, a reminder and confirmation.

Claims processing with Dublin metropolitan court now. I best compile all the emails together.

Dealing with the manufacturer directly just seems a lot handier. They're always quick to reply. Retailer just slows and confuses the process.

How long do claims take to process? Preposterous that a case can go on so long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement