Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser Hair Removal/Reduction

• 07-05-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,

Looking for some advice regarding laser hair removal/reduction. I have read through the various threads on the subject but I just wanted clarification on something. Is IPL not laser? If not, what laser should I be looking for them to use?

I have a consultation on Thursday with a place that uses VPL. The website says:

VPL Ultra%20142.jpgA Variable Pulse Light Laser (VPL) is similar to an IPL. They still have shielded wavelengths, and pulses, however the VPL can turn the lamp on and off for variable periods of time. This gives you the added advantage of allowing you to tune the light to match the properties of the chromophor you are targeting. Specifically the rate at which the chromophor radiates heat away into the surrounding tissue. This is called thermal relaxation. A VPL machine is used for laser hair removal and photo rejuvenation.

Would I be correct in thinking this isn't proper 'Laser' hair removal :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I’m currently having laser hair removal using medical grade laser machines. First I was started with Soprano XL Diode Laser and now I’ve moved onto an Alexandrite machine. I’m having my treatment in a Dublin clinic but from the research I did before my treatment these are considered the gold standard for laser hair removal and are used worldwide.

During my (extensive) research I read that IPA is not as effective as medical grade laser hair removal. It is usually recommended to people with very fair hair and/or for those with darker skin tones. It’s also considerably more painful than laser hair removal and requires much more treatments too. Also, the results do not last as long as laser hair removal (even laser hair removal is not permanent, you will require maintance treatments once or twice a year). IPA is more widely available because the machines are cheaper both in initial cost and maintance.

I’d recommend looking around for a clinic which uses medical grade lasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Thanks very much Clubdead. Unfortunately I don't think anywhere in New Zealand has any of the machines you have mentioned yet. I've found a couple of them that have the Candela Gentlelase which I've heard is pretty decent too but I'll do some more research before I decide to part with my hard earned cash.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 magu char

I am just on my 3rd session of laser hair removal and its with the URBANA LASER HAIR REMOVAL clinic in Drogheda. Aine is the lady who dose my treatments and I have to say am so glad I took the plunge and started this treatment. No more waxing or ingrown hairs, just clean no lumps or bumps hair free areas. Since starting the treatment I have had very few hairs back and all in which are very light hairs in colour also. I would recommend Laser to anyone and I would highly recommend URBANA LASER HAIR REMOVAL clinic to get this treatment done, not only is it pay as you go, it offers other great discounts and offers,
     you can build up points to which you can have a discount on your next session.  The clinic is clean, relaxing and the staff is amazing. Oh did I mention its literally pain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

Club dead where are you having your sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

Iv had laser hair removal done with the candalise machine the results are amazing so far I'm on number 5 now next I think iv hardly a hair grow back since best thing iv ever done .. Research around and look out 4 special deals in places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

IPL sucks! Had 6 very painful sessions, still had a ton of hair and what WAS removed grew back.

Now having proper medical laser, after 3 almost-painless sessions, all my armpit hair is gone, and about 70% of my bikini.

Would never do IPL again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockthecazba

I'm getting it done in Urbanna just beside brown thomas. I've had six sessions now and I have to say its brilliant. They tell you initally 8-10 sessions but i'm about 80% reduction so far for bikini and underarm.
    On a more powerful machine which is slightly more painful than the machine they use for the first four sessions but by no means as bad as wax imo.
    I did a lot of research on machines before I did it and glad I went with Urbanna. Alot of places aren't the same caliber of machines.

Advertisement