Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else hate the phrase "Well for some.."

• 07-05-2013 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Example, like someone asks you what you are doing for the holidays and you say you are heading to Spain or America or somewhere exotic, and they respond with "Well for some..."

I don't know why but it really gets under my skin when they say that. I mean they bring it upon themselves to ask and when I tell them, they make me feel bad as if I was bragging about going on holidays, when all I am doing is answering their questions. I just think it is really petty, typical Irish begrudgery! :mad: Does anyone else get pissed off when someone says that to you?

Also it's not as if these people I have encountered are struggling with money, they just like to begrudge anything. :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

not well for some by the sound of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

you've a grand life OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think its a way of saying "Ooh thats nice" without being as bland as saying "Ooh thats nice".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"No recession in your house"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nobody gonna answer the question no?

It doesnt bother me tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I guess for me, it all depends on the tone it's said in, some people mean it in a genuine non-begrudging fashion, others, well it's just pure jealousy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

"Well aren't you lucky to have a job at all?"

Yes I'm well aware of that and I am.That doesn't change the fact that I've had a bad day and want to moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

MJ23 wrote: »
    "No recession in your house"

It worse when said by those up to their eyes in debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yes, my boyfriend heard it so often from his parents when he was growing up he uses it now for everything :pac:

"I'm making a cup of tea"
    "Hmmph, nice for ya!"

"No, I don't want any biscuits, I'm full"
    "Ooooh, well for some!"

When used seriously it's annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

it is incredibly annoying,

you feel like screaming

"YES i am going to London for the weekend and do you know how i can afford it? remember all those nights you were posting photo's to facebook of you off your face drunk and bragging how you went out with €100 and came home with a tenner, yeah that more than covers the €90 paid for the flights, and the €200 you spent on drink this bank holiday weekend? yeah i was a "dry balls" staying in watching tv although i am now spending that on the hotel...pity you pissed the money up against the wall otherwise id love you to come with me"

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I've said it before but didn't mean anything by it.Its more of a saying than anything.

I find it's often used to wrap up a 'small-talk' conversation.

"Any holidays planned this year?"
    "Yeah, thinking of Spain!"
    "Its well for some!"

In this context, no real malice is meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

so the phrase in the OP means 'its ok for some?' originaly thought it was a unfinished sentance they were doing until reading others posts.:p

yes am not really a fan of it,have had it off cousins of mine before when they saw the computer games consoles in bedroom-they were all the old ones that had been bought at christmases when they became cheap over the years; NES,saturn,mega drive II,second hand dreamcast, second hand game cube,playstation,a second hand playstation II...
    it honestly does head in she let her jealousy flare up am living on twenty pound per week; half of it goes to petrol of the motability car of mine;a necessity as woud be housebound without it;unable to access/use public transport,and have got no outside life as cannot access the community due to disabilities and cannot afford to do anything-its nothing to be jealous of.
    she was spoilt by her parents growing up and spent money on things like alcohol/clubs/foreign holidays,she is able to work and gets good money in her job,woud love to swap circumstances with her for one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

oooh no recession here anyway....

(hate that too)

( just becuase i was eating a T-bone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I suppose it depends on the delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

(hate that too)

A T-bone no less?

Well isn't it well for some, no recession in your house, that's for sure :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Apanachi wrote: »
    A T-bone no less?

Well isn't it well for some, no recession in your house, that's for sure :D

Would you look at himself with his fancy T-bone.

Far from T-bones you were rared laddie. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Doesn't bother me whatsoever. Why would it bother me that something is well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

elefant wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me whatsoever. Why would it bother me that something is well?

It's not that something is well, it's that other people who use this phrase appear to be in some way put out or jealous that things are going well for you, and perhaps not so well for others. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dj1980

"Jaysus that lad has the life of Reilly!"

No idea who Reilly is but he has a good life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

"Well you have a great life"........
    arrggghhh it really annoys me when someone says this but there is one woman at work who annoys me more than average when she says this.
    She has had a load of holidays (Australia, Argentinia, South Africa, lots of weekend breaks to Berlin, Krakow, Amsterdam, etc) owns a holiday home here in Ireland too and yet insists on commenting like this when she hears other people are going away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

hoodwinked wrote: »
    it is incredibly annoying,

you feel like screaming

"YES i am going to London for the weekend and do you know how i can afford it? remember all those nights you were posting photo's to facebook of you off your face drunk and bragging how you went out with €100 and came home with a tenner, yeah that more than covers the €90 paid for the flights, and the €200 you spent on drink this bank holiday weekend? yeah i was a "dry balls" staying in watching tv although i am now spending that on the hotel...pity you pissed the money up against the wall otherwise id love you to come with me"

/rant

OMG, I know right? This was another reason as well, the people who begrudge me for my spending are the same one who actually do have money in this recession, but instead spends it all getting stupidly drunk on nights out, and then they wondering why then they can't afford any other luxuries... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Telling someone I was going to Venice and Trieste (by Ryanair, Easyjet and in cheap hotels). 'You're very lucky you know'
    says she just back from expensive 2 weeks in US and a week in Sth of France.

Anyone have any good comebacks to these kind of remarks without sounding bitchy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Mate '' what are you doing the weekend?''

Me ''prob head pub, maybe town''

Mate '' Well for some'' (said in a snotty tone)

:mad: every god damn week without fail!!!!!!!!!!

Hate the phrase

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

your an eejit for letting it bother you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's a polite way of calling someone a c*nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Thats a very small problem to be worrying about OP ah well.. well for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

woodoo wrote: »
    Thats a very small problem to be worrying about OP ah well.. well for some.

First world problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DrArse

OP stop being a little sap, its just a cheeky way of saying "wow isnt that nice".. as in sarcasm cheek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Degringola wrote: »
    Telling someone I was going to Venice and Trieste (by Ryanair, Easyjet and in cheap hotels). 'You're very lucky you know'
    says she just back from expensive 2 weeks in US and a week in Sth of France.

Anyone have any good comebacks to these kind of remarks without sounding bitchy?

"Sure you're only back from 2 weeks in the US, nevermind your week in France." (Bitchy or not is all tone of voice; say it with a cheeky smile & you can get away with alot.)

These types of people annoy you as much as you let them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I suppose it depends on the delivery.

Ooh matron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

(hate that too)

In the name of austerity, the fillet is replaced with the t-bone. Hard times people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Lapin wrote: »
    Would you look at himself with his fancy T-bone.

Far from T-bones you were rared laddie. :P

I know you meant this in a funny way but I hate that phrase more - it's far from x that you were rared. Like we're all supposed to never better ourselves or change our position in life! I know people who seriously say this :)

Also, as has been mentioned a few times I hate "no recession in your house" - said for the most stupid things.

Advertisement