Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on North Quay Place Accomodation?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am planning on moving into North Quay Place for the Summer. I have not heard anything negative. But I can see plenty of positives.

It is across the river from my bus collection point for work. It is right next to Bierhaus and other nice pubs. It is far enough away from CIT and UCC to deter any 'lads' i'd say, the place shouldn't be too noisy. No electricity deposit.

Can anyone share their experience with the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Think there could be a lot of foreign students staying around that area. Nice part of the city, IMO; and very handy for North Main St. / the Cornmarket. Shandon St. (at the rear of that 'block') can be a bit wild, as in messy/loud drunks.

I've heard a couple of people who were thinking about buying in that area but baulked as there were asylum seekers being housed in the area which would bring the value down. a) I'm not certain if there are, and b) that wouldn't faze me in any way about living there; but it's an FYI.

That area is probably more in demand now, with the new Apple offices in the city centre meaning there are a few hundred people looking for cheapish apartments in the North city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GMach234

Thanks for your reply.

I was told this at the reception, Not to jynx myself but the majority of foreign students I have met are relatively reserved and nice. And I would hope that by being so close to the city center, the loud drunks won't stand out so much :D

All good new so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I actually lived there for a while.
    It was a reasonably quite place when I was there anyway, but they have recently tried to move into the student accommodation business a bit more, so that might have changed (it's a bit far for students, but that is the market they aim for). If you are planing on living there for the summer you shouldn't run into much issue anyway. The rooms weren't big or very well furnished and the storage was a little lacking, but the rent wasn't expensive, so it balanced out. The staff are nice enough, but they are very insistent about doing inspections. They didn't try and screw me out of my deposit or anything like that. The biggest annoyance about the place was that the built in internet was completely crap (they might have improved it since though), though if you are staying for long enough, the apartments are wired for phone so we were able to get a DSL connection hooked up.

Other than that my only other issue was that for whatever reason the front door of the apartments are all made of glass, I was on the ground floor so everyone entering into our block got a good look into our apartment. :P

Knasher wrote: »
    The biggest annoyance about the place was that the built in internet was completely crap (they might have improved it since though), though if you are staying for long enough, the apartments are wired for phone so we were able to get a DSL connection hooked up.

That is a big issue for me. I visited the place after work at about 5pm last week and only had my phone on me so couldn't test out there lined connections. It would be something I'd happily pay more to get though as working from home is possible if the connection is secure enough. I will try and pester them a little more before I commit later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You would also have the option of using one of the 3g internet providers, DSL is only an option if you are willing to sign a 12 month contract. It has been a couple of years since I lived there though, so my misgivings about their internet is hopefully completely out of date.

• Advertisement

Could depend on the service provider though. We have Magnet Broadband at the moment and they do offer 12 month contracts. But the penalty for backing out early is a €50 charge. So at €40 a month that's actually €46.50-ish for premium service over the 3 months. I will have to bring this up with the reception. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

GMach234 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

I was told this at the reception, Not to jynx myself but the majority of foreign students I have met are relatively reserved and nice. And I would hope that by being so close to the city center, the loud drunks won't stand out so much :D

All good new so far! :)

Yup. I was at a party in (I think) the same place a few years back, where I was possibly the only Irish person there and it was a nice, chilled buzz. Not quite the 'guzzle beer until you spew' student parties I remember! ;) Obviously, your mileage depends on the group/age etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Bit off topic, but I'm looking for house on college road for the summer months for 3/4 people? anyone know any decent houses, willing to pay maximum of €45? Thanks in advance! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Seanh111 wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but I'm looking for house on college road for the summer months for 3/4 people? anyone know any decent houses, willing to pay maximum of €45? Thanks in advance! :)

Should be plenty on daft.

Advertisement