Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office 365 email setup

Options
  • 07-05-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Started a new business recently and got one license for Office 365 for free through our phone and broadband provider.
    As we have 2 pcs in the office we bought a separate licence for Office 2013 and loaded this onto one pc and am now in the process of trying to setup Office 365 on the other.
    As part of the Office 365 setup process it seems to suggest that all emails sent to addresses starting with @mydomaniname.ie will be sent to Office 365 but because I have only 1 licence 1 can only link 1 email address to it and had hoped that the other email address will be sent to the other pc in the office. is this possible or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Think with one license you can only have 1 mailbox - but you could put multiple e-mail address on that single mailbox; i.e. jane@mycompany.com & paddy@mycompany.com etc

You could therefore receive to multiple addresses but you can only send out from it on one primary address. Multiple users could be logged into that 1 mailbox at any one time.

TBH.. if you have the account setup then that's the hard work so just see can you add another mailbox; don't think you have to go full Office 365 on the 2nd account so maybe just get Exchange Online which is far less. Might not be 100% sure on this latter point but plenty of info on the Microsoft site about it.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Yeah you can just set up the other accounts with a P1 license which is a couple of euro a month. For a business e-mail it's well worth it as you have the security of knowing you're e-mails are in a safe place and easily accessible by yourself when you need them.

Alternatively, if you want to be stingy, you could set up some forwarders to send them on to a gmail account for each user and then set up alternative accounts on gmail to send through the microsoft servers (so you don't get that 'sent on behalf of' crap which looks very unprofessional). It'd be a bit of a faff to get running and you need to base the rules on what's in the header rather than the send to address as exchange online resolves it to the user rather than basing it upon the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Ok, some of the information is going completely over my head.

Basically I want to keep access to the second email address on the 2nd pc which we bought the MO 2013 package for and we want access to the other email on the 1st pc which we have Office 365 to set up on. Is this at all possible without incurring further charges.

If you're looking for the easiest, cleanest and best solution then no, you'll need to buy another license. Just get a P1 license which will give you exchange online which is all you need.

If you're looking for the easiest, cleanest and best solution then no, you'll need to buy another license. Just get a P1 license which will give you exchange online which is all you need.

Hi Antar,

What is a P1 license and where would I get it. Would I set that up on the pc which has the Office3 2013 suite for that email or how does it work?

• Advertisement

If you go to http://portal.microsoftonline.com and log on using your office 365 credentials you should see a section on the bottom called licenses. If you go in there you should then see your current subscription, which is most likely an E3 plan, but you should also see an option to 'purchase services'. Go in there and the very first available item should be the P1 plan which you can add to the basket.

If you go to http://portal.microsoftonline.com and log on using your office 365 credentials you should see a section on the bottom called licenses. If you go in there you should then see your current subscription, which is most likely an E3 plan, but you should also see an option to 'purchase services'. Go in there and the very first available item should be the P1 plan which you can add to the basket.

Hi Antan, I tried doing the above and it's actually telling me that the current valid license I have is a P1 so does this essentially mean I don't have access to Excel and Word under this. I also was not given any option to purchase more licenses. So fed up at this stage and if I'm right in thinking that I don't have access to Excel and Word then think I'll abandon using 365 and bite the bullet and buy a second license for Office 2013.

Yeah if it's only a P1 plan you will only have exchange online. It's weird that you don't have an option to purchase more licenses. When you're on portal.microsoftonline.com can you see the users and groups tab? If so, when you go in there can you see a tab labelled delegated admins? If you can is there anyone in there.

I'm just thinking that since you've got it through Vodafone maybe you're only set up as a user instead of an administrator and you have to get them to add it or something.

Advertisement