Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheism. what does it stand for? Biscuits, it seems!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Prodigious wrote: »
    I personally believe a lot of atheists are insecure in their lack of belief and they project their insecurities on theists through their mocking and ridicule.

Insecure people can't deal with mockery. You'll find we make fun of ourselves just as much as any religion. The only people who seem to get upset by it are, by and large, religious. They just can't handle it, they start shouting all sorts of things about blasphemy and respect and the like.

That's an interesting coincidence, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sarky wrote: »
    You'll find we make fun of ourselves just as much as any religion.
    nelson-muntz.gif

Yeah? Well your FACE believes in nothing!

Sarky wrote: »
    Yeah? Well your FACE believes in nothing!
    At least I have a face.

:P

Edit: Bugger! Cleverly chosen gif fail. Nelson is pointing at me. Must do better...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

A litle bit late to the tea party but, I brought these guys

Unknown_zps5cdacc94.jpg

Nyom Nyom Nyom

• Advertisement

Damn it, now I want to go get a bag of those delicious Rolo-based cookies in Tesco but it's closed by now.

Hmm, maybe the Centra down the road would have a couple of donuts left. They're not biscuits, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Prodigious wrote: »
    I personally believe a lot of atheists are insecure in their lack of belief and they project their insecurities on theists through their mocking and ridicule.

I was going to engage with your post, but then I checked out your Leaving Cert Study Log. Nice work, keep it up!

You really don't need to be distracting yourself in here just now. Come back when your exams are finished :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

swampgas wrote: »
    I was going to engage with your post, but then I checked out your Leaving Cert Study Log. Nice work, keep it up!

You really don't need to be distracting yourself in here just now. Come back when your exams are finished :-)

Yeah. That log, er, really puts me to shame. :o
    My 'study' would be more along the lines of this. Except I couldn't draw. I'd have the grinds my parents forced me to attend and the stuff that the teachers drilled into my head. But mostly it was 'The Fear' that inexplicably got me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So we've moved on to:

"Atheism! HA! Good god yall! What does it stand for? App-ar-ently Biscuits."

And now I've got that Fun song stuck in my head. :(

And this thread is as good time and place as any to post this? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

endacl wrote: »
    OK. Let's examine the evidence set here before us.

1. The viscount bit is a biscuit.
    2. The minty bit is very similar to the aforementioned kendal mint cake.

Is it a biscuit, evolving into a cake? Is it a cake, evolving into a biscuit. It certainly appears to display the characteristics of a transitional form, but that supposition inevitably leads to the question, which came first? What drives the transition. What is the survival advantage, if any, of either trait?

Doesn't seem to make sense. They never survive long.

I think the classification of the kendal mint "cake" is clearly in error. It is, as any righteous man could tell you, a confection, not a cake at all, other than in that spurious association that gives us "cakes" of soap or chalk! Delicious is a little nibble of a kendal, I will grant you, but no simple mixture of glucose and peppermint oil may lay claim to the title of cake. Where are the eggs or flour I ask you? Neither stodgy or fluffy or light or heavy or any other adjective one associates with cake would a sane man use for a kendal.

It is, I dare to say, a mere.... bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I think the classification of the kendal mint "cake" is clearly in error. It is, as any righteous man could tell you, a confection, not a cake at all, other than in that spurious association that gives us "cakes" of soap or chalk! Delicious is a little nibble of a kendal, I will grant you, but no simple mixture of glucose and peppermint oil may lay claim to the title of cake. Where are the eggs or flour I ask you? Neither stodgy or fluffy or light or heavy or any other adjective one associates with cake would a sane man use for a kendal.

Sulla makes a convincing case. I too would call into question the cakeness of the kendal mint 'block'.

I must retire again to my cave of contemplation. I'll get back to you with an answer.

Right. That didn't take long. Well, I can see you take an absolutist view of the definition of 'cake'. Bloody zealots. There's just no talking to them...

Let us have no bickering among ourselves. It's what they want.
    Let us set aside disharmony, stride forward in unity and save the children of Ireland from 'cookies' and other *shudder* Americanisms like 'cupcake'.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Let us have no bickering among ourselves. It's what they want.
    Let us set aside disharmony, stride forward in unity and save the children of Ireland from 'cookies' and other *shudder* Americanisms like 'cupcake'.
    Agreed. If it's not in a cup, its a bun. If its in a cup .... WHY DAFUQ IS IT IN A CUP?!? ITS A BUN!!!

Cupcake-in-a-cup-1.jpg

Oh..... Anybody know where one might procure kendal mint CAKE in Dubland? I have a sudden hankering for minty goodness, but I don't recall ever seeing it round these here parts...

Gateau.
    Tart.
    Torte.
    Pie.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Jernal wrote: »
    It's never too late for a good biscuit.

I agree. But look at this abomination. Last one in the pack, too.

253063.jpg

:(

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/577688/253063.jpg

Sure we're all going to die anyway.

253063.jpg

A lucky escape for the jam. Jammy, you might say...
    :p

• Advertisement

Allow me to make a slight change...
    253066.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

robindch wrote: »
    Would you care to substantiate your claim? Or would you prefer to abandon it?

30 second search will substantiate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Ok, well then take 30 seconds off, find and send us a link.
    Us atheists are a lazy lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

So then..... off you go.

Around these parts if you make a claim, you have to back it up with evidence.

On a related point, 2 different groups have knocked on my door this week seeking to convert me to their particular brand of deity worship. One nice gentleman told me I'd burn in a lake of fire if I didn't believe the same stuff he does. I'm sure you have the same with those pesky atheists knocking on your door trying to de-convert you and threatening you with eternal damnation if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Many atheists refuse to leave people to their religion

Most (if not all) religions that have survived to the modern era have done so largely because they compels followers to spread the religion, whether it be to their children, their larger family, or just society in general.

This certainly includes Christianity and Islam.

As such you will always get atheists who point out the flaws in any particular doctrine or dogma.

This would be the case when ever someone is proclaiming publicly some doctrine or ideology. Pointing out that there will be an opposing view also made public is no different to saying that once you get one political party publicly proclaiming a political ideology you will inevitably get another political party pointing out the flaws in that political ideology.

I'm not sure why atheists annoy so much in this regard, one can only assume that theists don't like having the issues with their faith pointed out because they secretly know them already but would like to bath in collective ignorance and delusion, pretending that said issues don't exist.

Imagine this objection with any other ideology, imagine members of a Communist party complaining that everyone keeps pointing out the inherient flaws in Communism, why can't they just let the Communist party alone and leave them to get back to the important work of spreading Communism across the globe :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and Rich Tea for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

So then..... off you go.

Around these parts if you make a claim, you have to back it up with evidence.

On a related point, 2 different groups have knocked on my door this week seeking to convert me to their particular brand of deity worship. One nice gentleman told me I'd burn in a lake of fire if I didn't believe the same stuff he does. I'm sure you have the same with those pesky atheists knocking on your door trying to de-convert you and threatening you with eternal damnation if you don't.

Eternal damnation? Aren't t'others rather big on this notion? Seems to me that the scariest part of atheism to most religious, is that we offer NO prospect of afterlife, damned or not. Best we can threaten people with at the door is "Abandon your belief in god, and NOTHING will happen to you, followed by NOTHINGNESS upon death .....and we have a clear lack of evidence of any god that substantiates this claim, plus many choices of biscuit"

I think our doorstep conversions would go rather well. Perhaps we'd get tea and a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Obliq wrote: »
    Perhaps we'd get tea and a good laugh.

And biscuits. Don't forget the biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

And biscuits. Don't forget the biscuits.

Yeah, but what kinda biscuits? Lets get our priorities right, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Carrs Water Biscuits dipped in Nutella...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Well there's this school out near us that has pictures of Dawkins on the wall of every classroom, where the kids have to learn repetitive chants like "Hail Darwin, he who disproves God, Hallowed is his ungodly name, let us pity the believers and hope one day their stupidity and ignorance will fall from their minds", where there are ceremonies where they promise their life to atheism - and religious parents are forced to pay for it with their taxes send their kids there.

Oh wait there isn't, but a group of like minded people have a relative polite chat on the net is exactly the same thing isn't it.

And on a more serious note:

CHOCOLATE BISCUIT CAKE!

You make a "cake" out of "biscuits" Brilliant!

VVDX55sY_original.jpg

Advertisement