Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheism. what does it stand for? Biscuits, it seems!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Plenty of people don't believe in things, ideas, philosophies, but they don't make up pointless labels to wear for them disbeliefs. Atheism stands for nothing, you don't believe in God? so what. I bet there are lots of things you don't believe in, but do you have little labels for those too ? no. So really why do you put so much effort into a pointless and non productive ' cause '

I'm an atheist.
    I'm also a militant ABU (Anyone But United).
    Happy now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    Would you care to substantiate your claim? Or would you prefer to abandon it?
    30 second search will substantiate it.
    Sounds like you're abandoning your claim -- an uncharacteristically wise move on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Obliq wrote: »

I think our doorstep conversions would go rather well. Perhaps we'd get tea and a good laugh.

It would have made a great ongoing sketch for the Fast Show or such like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pH wrote: »

And on a more serious note:

CHOCOLATE BISCUIT CAKE!

You make a "cake" out of "biscuits" Brilliant!

VVDX55sY_original.jpg

Mmmmmmmm.... Unitarian cake...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Agreed Dades but indoctrinated people could feel obliged to hassle atheists to save them from "hell" and all that. That would be a good reason as far as they are concerned.

I only started calling myself an atheist after moving here, where there is an intrusive religion that impacts on everybody whether you are a member or not. Prior to that I was simply non religious and never gave religion or the lack of it any thought. Other peoples religions never bothered me in the slightest prior to encountering one that thinks it should be allowed to run this country.

And the best biscuits are my cookies made with pecan nuts and big chunks of Cadbury Bournville chocolate. Kimberly, Mikardo and Jaffa Cakes are all rotten. Hob Nobs and Digestives are nicely passable, but Oreos win the bought biscuit contest by a long way.

• Advertisement

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Kimberly, Mikardo and Jaffa Cakes are all rotten. Hob Nobs and Digestives are nicely passable, but Oreos win the bought biscuit contest by a long way.
    Could almost hear your accent in the 'Mikardo' spelling! You'd really have to have grown up here to 'get' Kimberly and Mikado. With you 100% on Jaffa Cakes. Neither a biscuit or a cake. Irish parents used to consider them a fruit, so maybe that's a possibility?

Oreos? Evil imperialist capitalist scum biscuits! Slowly taking over the world...Anything McDonald's adds to ice cream cannot be good. By definition. :mad:

endacl wrote: »
    Could almost hear your accent in the 'Mikardo' spelling! You'd really have to have grown up here to 'get' Kimberly and Mikado. With you 100% on Jaffa Cakes. Neither a biscuit or a cake. Irish parents used to consider them a fruit, so maybe that's a possibility?

Oreos? Evil imperialist capitalist scum biscuits! Slowly taking over the world...Anything McDonald's adds to ice cream cannot be good. By definition. :mad:

Clearly you have to have grown up with such things. Bit like the RCC and Tayto ;)! I surely don't 'get' Kimberly, Mikado and Jaffa Cakes, but Irish OH thinks they're just wonderful! They don't compare at all to Tim Tams, Mallowpuffs and Shrewsbury biscuits! Oreos are too nice to hold being American against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Clearly you have to have grown up with such things. Bit like the RCC and Tayto ;)! I surely don't 'get' Kimberly, Mikado and Jaffa Cakes, but Irish OH thinks they're just wonderful! They don't compare at all to Tim Tams, Mallowpuffs and Shrewsbury biscuits! Oreos are too nice to hold being American against them.

Tim Tams *gag* but not as *gag* as Lamington squares.

Ah, Tim Tams! I remember those phoneys from my time in Oz. A poor attempt at a penguin...

:D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Tim Tams *gag* but not as *gag* as Lamington squares.

Ah Bannasidhe how can you not like lamingtons? My grandma made the best chocolate lamingtons in the world. Used to make them for every b'day I had as a kid. Cut in half and topped with cream. I brought my Edmonds Cookbook with me. Must make some for Little Kiwi's b'day party next month. I could understand how you feel about them though if you tried the hideous store bought, artificial pink ones ugh!

• Advertisement

Ah, Tim Tams! I remember those phoneys from my time in Oz. A poor attempt at a penguin...

:D

I truly can't imagine why anyone would want to imitate those penguin yokes! Sorry guys but store bought biscuits here are generally so bad I don't even bother! Mostly not worth the calorie content. Digestives, Hob Nobs and Oreo are the only things passable in the biscuit isle.

Oh, and Kit Kats, but they are bars not biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ah Bannasidhe how can you not like lamingtons? My grandma made the best chocolate lamingtons in the world. Used to make them for every b'day I had as a kid. Cut in half and topped with cream. I brought my Edmonds Cookbook with me. Must make some for Little Kiwi's b'day party next month. I could understand how you feel about them though if you tried the hideous store bought, artificial pink ones ugh!

Those were the ones - I thought they were some Aussie version of a Twinkie (in a survive a direct nuclear blast kinda way).

I truly can't imagine why anyone would want to imitate those penguin yokes! Sorry guys but store bought biscuits here are generally so bad I don't even bother! Mostly not worth the calorie content. Digestives, Hob Nobs and Oreo are the only things passable in the biscuit isle.

Oh, and Kit Kats, but they are bars not biscuits.
    OK. We agree on the KitKat bit. We've something here to build on...;)

Actually, where has the OP got to? I'm pretty sure this isn't what his thread was supposed to be all about...?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually, where has the OP got to? I'm pretty sure this isn't what his thread was supposed to be all about...?

One more query or thought like that and I'm banning you. Now get back to talking to about biscuits or else!:mad:

Jernal wrote: »
    One more query or thought like that and I'm banning you. Now get back to talking to about biscuits or else!:mad:
    FFS! Have a hobnob dude! I was only asking...

Probably get carded for insubordination now.... mumble....grumble....where did I leave me whacky stick ... grumble...let's see how his puny ban hammer deals with a full on whacky stick assault... mumble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

FFS! Have a hobnob dude! I was only asking...

Probably get carded for insubordination now.... mumble....grumble....where did I leave me whacky stick ... grumble...let's see how his puny ban hammer deals with a full on whacky stick assault... mumble...
    You managed to get said whacky stick back from your mum then...

legspin wrote: »
    You managed to get said whacky stick back from your mum then...
    Yep. She's a level 10 too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

30 second search will substantiate it.

Ah the old "I have no evidence so I will get people to look for it for me" trick. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Chocolate Kimberly please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join our club!

(But seriously bro, douche!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

robindch wrote: »
    Sounds like you're abandoning your claim -- an uncharacteristically wise move on your part.

Nope I stand by it. I don't get why somebody isn't bothered to do a simple search? I claimed that there are many atheists that don't leave people to their religion (as many religious people don't leave atheists alone), everyone here knows that to be the truth so I'm not going to get dragged into whatever circus you guys have lined up for me. If you look at my post history on this very forum you'll find examples of people thinking I'm religious and giving me stick for it. There are countless other examples on this forum alone (Atheism & Agnosticism)! Have a look on After Hours, there is daily religion bashing. In the real world you have famous atheists at it, and plenty of civilians. Are you going to tell me now that I'm making this up? We all know I'm telling the truth. Oh and ill balance my words by pointing out that there are many many religious people who are equally as preachy and intrusive as the atheist's I mention above. I'm not having a go at anyone, just stating the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nope I stand by it. I don't get why somebody isn't bothered to do a simple search? I claimed

That's why. YOU claimed.
    Bother yourself to do the search and back up your claim, otherwise it drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Nope I stand by it. I don't get why somebody isn't bothered to do a simple search? I claimed that there are many atheists that don't leave people to their religion (as many religious people don't leave atheists alone), everyone here knows that to be the truth so I'm not going to get dragged into whatever circus you guys have lined up for me.

I think you're being your own worst enemy here kid. I'm actually amused that you clearly haven't noticed that your unsubstantiated claim IS the circus, and you lined it up all on your ownio.

Why aren't you bothered to prove your claim, that apparently only requires a simple search...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Nope I stand by it. I don't get why somebody isn't bothered to do a simple search? I claimed that there are many atheists that don't leave people to their religion (as many religious people don't leave atheists alone), everyone here knows that to be the truth so I'm not going to get dragged into whatever circus you guys have lined up for me. If you look at my post history on this very forum you'll find examples of people thinking I'm religious and giving me stick for it. There are countless other examples on this forum alone (Atheism & Agnosticism)! Have a look on After Hours, there is daily religion bashing. In the real world you have famous atheists at it, and plenty of civilians. Are you going to tell me now that I'm making this up? We all know I'm telling the truth. Oh and ill balance my words by pointing out that there are many many religious people who are equally as preachy and intrusive as the atheist's I mention above. I'm not having a go at anyone, just stating the facts.

So..... still no evidence then. As I said, if you make a claim around these parts, be prepared to back it up or you simply won't be taken seriously.

Simply asserting something does not make it so. If I were to claim that atheists were contantly being banned from boards for being atheists, I would be expected to back that up with examples. Simply telling people to look it up themselves is not good enough.

FinallyI think you may also be suffering from a misconception that is common among religious people of different flavours. You are confusing people critiquing, scrutinizing and even attacking your belief system with an attack on you. Belief systems are not above critique and critisism. Nobody has to respect your religion. They should respect you and your right to believe what you want but your beliefs themselves do not neccessarily deserve respect simply by virtue of them being your beliefs.

People merit respect. Beliefs do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ok ok I get it now. So before I post my evidence, could you guys clarify, I'm to prove that there are people on this forum who mock religious people? If I'm missing anything let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Many atheists refuse to leave people to their religion
    Sarky wrote:
    If you could show how they keep ramming their own ideals down the throats of religious people too, that'd be swell. Links to quotes, pictures of one of us harrassing a religious person, something like that.

There it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I claimed that there are many atheists that don't leave people to their religion (as many religious people don't leave atheists alone),

That.
    I'm to prove that there are people on this forum who mock religious people?

Not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Generally people won't do things to prove someone else's point. Particularly if they disagree, and particularly not in a space so accustomed to putting the burden of proof where it belongs: with the person making a claim. In this case you.

You want a search done, do it yourself. Post the results. No one is going to make your point for you.

This forum (Atheism and agnosticism) isn't really submissable because this is supposed to be an atheist/agnostic space, clue is in the name. Religious people who get a hard time in here have come looking for it.

I know nothing about after hours, but I do know there is a large amount of anger in irish society with the church in recent years. Something to do with constant, never ending scandals. As evidence I can submit the recent statements by the taoiseach, and those around the time of the cloyne report, not to mention debates over the expulsion of the papal nuncio that were everywhere in the media a two years ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/enda-kenny-catholic-church-abortion_n_3225864.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0720/303965-cloyne1/
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=expels+papal+nuncio&rlz=1C1CHMO_enIE524IE524&aq=f&oq=expels+papal+nuncio&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j60.3899j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Coupled with long time presence of pro-palestinian groups in ireland as well as irelands strong blood ties to america and considering that countries recent engagements I imagine it would not be difficult to find people bashing any religion you care to name.

So I'm not really surprised a place like after hours might be full of anti-religious sentiment.

However none of that is necessarily atheists refusing to leave religion alone as you claim.

To me, in ireland's case, it looks to mostly be the result of years upon years of dissatisfaction and disappointment of normal, nominally religious, people by still unrepentant religious leaders that is the source of the bother religious people have to deal with, and blaming it on atheists is just another way of dodging their own issues.

So yeah, it seems like your going to have to produce some evidence before I'll believe a word of what you say as 'truth' or 'fact'.

Worst thing is I know you can find examples of what you're talking about, I know they exist. I don't think they are nearly as common as your trying to make out, but they are out there and your refusal to dig any up for yourself is frankly annoying and a little insulting. You're trying to make it into a big deal that your being asked to prove something you've claimed. It isn't. Just do it and we could move on with the debate. It's not all about you you know, there's no conspiracy to make a fool of you or a prepared circus lined up. It's not anyone here's fault if your arguments won't hold up to scrutiny, except yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm not having a go at anyone, just stating the facts.

Usually, when one says "facts" they have something substantial to reinforce the use of that word.

Advertisement