Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheism. what does it stand for? Biscuits, it seems!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bluewolf wrote: »
    milka add everything to their bars :eek:

you can get milka with strawberries and cream now, I approve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dades wrote: »
    Kidchameleon's probably right.

Yes and no. I reckon both sides are somewhat guilty. I'd some one having a good go at me the other night in the pub with me trying to not engage at every turn. Even my devoutly religious drinking buddy was a bit embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Jernal wrote: »

Now, can we get back to talking about biscuits please.:(

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who likes jersey creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sycopat wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who likes jersey creams.

OH does.

Anyone else hate Kimberley and Mikados?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

1 <3 Mikados! Rarely eat them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Sarky wrote: »
    Name them.

Bob down the road, Sam round the corner. A few people on this forum. Dawkins. Do you want a complete list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dades wrote: »
    Kidchameleon's probably right.

The thing is though, some of these atheists will have a good reason (in their opinion) to insist on hassling religious people. e.g. They find themselves at the end of bigotry/discrimination/whatever. That's justifiable.

Others won't, and might just do it for kicks or out of spite. That's not.

Agreed Dades but indoctrinated people could feel obliged to hassle atheists to save them from "hell" and all that. That would be a good reason as far as they are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bob down the road, Sam round the corner. A few people on this forum. Dawkins. Do you want a complete list?

A list of the people in this forum would be a good start. If you could show how they keep ramming their own ideals down the throats of religious people too, that'd be swell. Links to quotes, pictures of one of us harrassing a religious person, something like that. You seem pretty confident that you're not just whining about nothing, so I'm sure it'll only take you a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OP, you're confusing atheism with religion. It's not a religion and its not a defined set of beliefs shared beliefs nor is it a philosophy really either. However it could form part of someone's philosophy.

The reason you're seeing organised atheists online and in the real world is that countries like Ireland tend to not give atheists their full gambit of civil rights by forcing them to participate in religious stuff eg religious schools, hospitals, prayers at parliaments etc etc

If we had a proper pluralist society where the state respected atheists rights not to have a religious belief then you'd never hear much from atheists at all.

Atheism is a religion in the way not collecting stamps is a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I'm quite partial to jaffa cakes myself does that make me a heretic, atheist or agnostic in the biscuit world?

just askin', like.

daithi

• Advertisement

daithi1970 wrote: »
    I'm quite partial to jaffa cakes myself does that make me a heretic, atheist or agnostic in the biscuit world?

just askin', like.

daithi

gag.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »

If I was religious, I'd say they are the squishy biscuit of the gods. Mmmm, foamy marshmallow type goo, with coconut on top of softened biscuit base.....what could possibly be wrong with that? Are you mad? :confused:

That gif just looks wrong.

Did you mean this one?
    63847FamilyGuyVomit.gif
    :pac:

Obliq wrote: »
    Are you mad? :confused:

Depends on which consultant psychiatrist one asks. :cool:

That gif just looks wrong.

Did you mean this one?
    63847FamilyGuyVomit.gif
    :pac:

grandkids get a box of *gag* jaffa cakes *gag* every two weeks off their great granddad so I have had to develop a modicum of self discipline in how I express my revulsion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

OH does.

I know they are something you are supposed to love by virtue of being Irish, but I never got the fuss.

Hob nobs or ginger nuts for dunking, chocolate boasters for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Digestives are nice as a cheap snack, and you can't beat a good Hobnob.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I know they are something you are supposed to love by virtue of being Irish, but I never got the fuss.

Hob nobs or ginger nuts for dunking, chocolate boasters for everything else.

Benny, with you being a Christian and all I have to stereotypically berate for you for no other reason other than you're a Christian and that's what I got to do. So: *scornface*
    /rabble rabble.

Tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Plenty of people don't believe in things, ideas, philosophies. you don't believe in God? so what.
    Exactly. And you do, I presume? So what?

And if this was the conversation, everybody could just get on with it...
    Typical responses from atheists. always trying to poke fun at the issue.
    Missing the point a wee bit. They may be poking fun at you?

:P

I am a proud aphilatelist I'll have you know!
    I used to collect. I was a child. I knew no better. I believed them when they said 'this will be a nice hobby. It'll be interesting. You'll make lots of friends'. I gradually lost the childish zeal. I questioned whether the Penny Black existed at all. I mean, I've never met anybody who had a personal first hand experience of a penny black.

These days, yeah, I'm a militant aphilatelist. I've even considered getting a franking machine. Stamps?!? I. Think. Not!

• Advertisement

I'm kinda late to this thread guys. OK to get in on the biscuit conversation?

endacl wrote: »
    I'm kinda late to this thread guys. OK to get in on the biscuit conversation?

It's never too late for a good biscuit.

bn.jpg

I mean, I've never met anybody who had a personal first hand experience of a penny black.

Hello.

:cool:

Hello.

:cool:
    So I've been wrong all these years??!

Unless......

.... Are you the devil???!!!

Bloody typical. This one looked like it could have been a mighty aul' pi55take, and the OP's been AWOL for 8 hours now.

Ah well, back to the books.....

Anybody know something new and insightful about Bion's 'Learning from Experience'?

So I've been wrong all these years??!

Unless......

.... Are you the devil???!!!

shifty-eyes-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Plenty of people don't believe in things, ideas, philosophies, but they don't make up pointless labels to wear for them disbeliefs. Atheism stands for nothing, you don't believe in God? so what. I bet there are lots of things you don't believe in, but do you have little labels for those too ? no. So really why do you put so much effort into a pointless and non productive ' cause '

Its because it is a 'thing' these days. Though strictly speaking the word atheist has a specific definition, most, if not all, people who actually use the word to describe themselves are usually what I would describe as, religiously atheist.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Its because it is a 'thing' these days. Though strictly speaking the word atheist has a specific definition, most, if not all, people who actually use the word to describe themselves are usually what I would describe as, religiously atheist.
    Important bit in bold.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Now you're getting the hang of this mod thingy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDZ2lSg51slwrQJ13y_6Bnedw05KiBFy24P48SYM3A_PIZCrIW

Fig rolls though......Can anyone else eat half a packet for breakfast? With coffee, obviously. I'm starting to realise that I only like soft biscuits

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some atheists just want to watch the world burn. Particularly atheist moderators.

Advertisement