Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tools do you use?

• 07-05-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I would start a thread just to gauge what tools people are using for developing their games.

Myself, started with XNA and then moved to Unity3d to do a couple of small projects. I now have this burning desire to learn c++ so will be trying that next maybe with SDL, so we will see.

So what are you using?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Right now using C++ in XCode 4 with Cocos2D-X.

This engine is not finished.... ( ._.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Same as Cohen, XCode and Cocos2D-X in C++. Really enjoying Cocos2D-X, it has come on a long way and is improving constantly. Xcode is the problem for me, I long for Visual Studio :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Currently playing with ActionScript3 using FlashDevelop. Its not bad, but i keep expecting to be able to do things I'm used to in other languages. I was using the Flixel library in the "beginners guide" thread that Gizmo posted ages ago but found it to be unnecessarily complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Was playing around with XNA for a while but trying out some mobile development and picked gideros mobile and LUA as my platform of choice. Its a fun change but I'm not a fan of not declaring my variables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I don't have the time to get into proper coding, so I'm content to make do with things like RPG Maker. I picked up a fair amount of Python in college, but I just can't find the time to use it, never mind sit down and teach myself something like C-doubleplusgood or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Carpo II

Visual Studio for C++ goodness with in house engine. Sometimes need to use XCode / IntelliJ for ios / android. PyScripter for Python. That's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

For javascript based games I use Webstorm, loving the new Darcula interface.

For desktop games I've been coding in Lua with the Love2D engine using the ZeroBrane IDE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭megaten

Actionscript3 and Flashpunk. I'm beginning to think any sort of heavy programming isn't for me though. I looked at XNA recently and decided I wasn't bothered. I quite like coming up with solutions but actually implementing them bores me to death. I think I might move to using something like Gamemaker, Construct2 or Rpgmaker in the future. I might give programming one more shot though when polycode comes out though since it looks interesting and has a focus on accessibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I'm just using standard java api at the moment before I progress to openGl ES for android.I want to get a good understanding of 2d/vector graphics before I even think of looking at 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

C++ and Ogre3D, and the Android SDK right now, creating content with the likes of 3DS Max, Photoshop. Familiar with a few other things though, XNA, OpenGL, HLSL+Cg, and a bit of Zbrush too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

C++ and 3DS Max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

My first serious attempt was a horribly complex game (think something half way to X-Com or JA), made in... wait for it... java. I had quite a lot of the gameplay down, but I was seriously struggling with the graphical end. Tried some java libraries, then XNA (which seemed not all that different from java + libraries).

Found Unity eventually. Confusing at first, but there's an awful lot of tutorials and a large, helpful community. It takes a while to get used to, but with Unity, i'd made more progress in two months (after maybe 6 weeks of learning the basics of how to use it) than 5 with java. That's not to say that it's the best engine, just that with some programming experience and for the type of game I hope to make, it's working out pretty well for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

No love for LibGDX? I find it really good for 2D stuff. Add in R.U.B.E and Box2D and you can make some very interesting demos.

Haven't used it yet but spine is supposed to be very good for exporting 2D animation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

To be honest, I didn't even get that far. Was advised that Slick might be a easier place to start. Was having trouble even using that. Problem was i'd never done anything graphical beyond GUIs before. Think the guys who made Revenge of the Titans might used java and libGDX?

Advertisement