Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exasperated: Landlord Advice Desperately Required for Rent Allowance Tenant

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RainyDay wrote: »
    What do you do when the person that answers refuses to give you their name, as they are fully entitled to do?

Hopefully they dont think like that, bit of bravado goes a long way, if the unofficial lodger feels threatened they are more likely to move on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

studiorat wrote: »
    Yes there is. Sell your property and do something useful with the proceeds.
    Jesus christ, do you even read the post before you hit reply? :rolleyes:
    Unfortunately for people who live here, who can't afford mortgages, and who aren't willing to live with their parents, there isn't a whole lot of choice in the matter.
    Considering this was in response to a post about renting in Ireland, I'm clearly talking about tenants, not LL's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hopefully they dont think like that, bit of bravado goes a long way
    That bravado thing works both ways - a double-edged sword if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ye have gone seriously off topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

That was largely Studiorat, who's solution to the OPs problem was to sell the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hello –
    I was wondering if any landlords could please give me some advice.
    I have a rent allowance tenant who is 5 months behind in her rent.
    It’s a long story, I won’t go into it. She’s basically an alright sort a bit of a ‘howaya’ dolly bird and extremely disorganised and hasn’t filled her forms for the social welfare but she’s taking the piss now. She paid her rent until a couple of months ago so I do believe there is an issue with a reevaluating her case because one of her kids turned 18 so it’s a matter of her completing the paper work and then the cheques will be released.

It’s the usual scenario, broken phone, doesn't do what she says she’ll do etc.
    The rent was made to be all up to date last Friday but of course more problems. I’ve spent the weekend stalking her house trying to meet up with her. I’ve mostly been speaking to her ‘friend’. I know she was in Spain last week because her facebook account is open. I’m at the end of my tether.
    I want to scare her into taking this seriously and sorting it out with the welfare office. I’ve showed up at her house etc. and sent letters.

So if I understand this right she is getting the taxpayer to pay for her accommodation (in theory at least that is what the money is for) and she can afford to go off to Spain.

The thing that really surprised me about this thread was it took 3 pages before someone actually brought this salient point up.

WTF is about this country.
    Is it assumed ok by the majority of people, some of you landlords, that people in receipt of tax payer funded Rent Allowance are ok to receive it whilst they can afford foreign trips away ?

This year I know a lot of my colleagues, who actually work and pay for their own accommodation, are staying at home because they can't afford to go away.
    Yet someone on rent allowance it appears can afford trips away. :mad:
    I suppose she is the one of the so called deserving ones we keep been told about. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

jmayo wrote: »
    The thing that really surprised me about this thread was it took 3 pages before someone actually brought this salient point up....

That's because its got nothing to do with the topic.

Considering the OP is distracted by, and procrastinating over everything except the core issues of rent not being paid I don't think it useful to send the thread in yet another divergence. Maybe someone else funded the holiday. Its none of the LL business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

BostonB wrote: »
    That's because its got nothing to do with the topic.

Considering the OP is distracted by, and procrastinating over everything except the core issues of rent not being paid I don't think it useful to send the thread in yet another divergence. Maybe someone else funded the holiday. Its none of the LL business anyway.

Could be true.....I had a free holiday to portugal last autumn and the abuse I got on another forum because of it was unreal.

But on topic.....the landlord needs to stop calling at the house irrespective of how aggrieved they have been and needs to start doing things to the letter of the law. If the tenant after being given the 14 day notice of arrears, pays them, then another should be issued as soon as the rent is late again. Yes doing it the legal way can be incredible long winded way to go about things but surely its better than a huge fine or even being arrested for harassment. And arrangements need to be made to receive the rent supplement directly which can be easily enough done. It could be suggested to the tenant to make things easier for them so they dont have to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Any chance of an update from the op?

Advertisement