Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half Marathon Sept 22nd 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Redtop wrote: »
    I'm surprised to still hear the words "r!p off" after reading the organiser's detailed response. There are so many Half Marathons out there costing more than €50 that do not provide the quality that the Charleville Half does and do not contribute as much to charity & the development of Athletics. Yes, there are cheaper ones, but Quality comes at a small Premium. The good news for us runners is that there is more of a choice.

:pac: = do not take comment too seriously Redtop !! :pac:

I would say everyone agrees with most of the points in the reponse , and wasn't it actually nice & refreshing to get a detailed post from an event organiser ? ( Even if it was provoked )
    Maybe more might do the same when they see what potential participants
    think about event prices and price rises?
    And isn't that what an open forum is about really, people expressing
    their opinions?
    I for one feel this event thread is a good example of what should be
    for all events.

Mr.W

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

just registered
    race # 1137
    Thats alot of registered runners 7 weeks out...bring it
    Is there a limit on this race does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Sosa wrote: »
    just registered
    race # 1137
    Thats alot of registered runners 7 weeks out...bring it
    Is there a limit on this race does anyone know?

just had a look at last years results...49 under 80 minutes...and 635 in total
    so either they have the guts of double last years total with 7 weeks remaining to register or they are messing with the numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I panicked and registered now - Race number 1138. There hasn't been a mad rush since you signed up Sosa. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Very impressive , informative and to be honest , charming website , will definitely try my best to jiggle things about to enter this simply based on the website, very refreshing after all the bells and whistles of 'taytogate'/ the great swag bag scandal ' of the recent rock and roll event, where people were getting very hot under the collar ( including me),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Does anyone know when registration closes?

(Had a very quick look on the website and can't see a date, apols in advance if it's very obvious).

Would like to give this a go but won't be sure of my availability for another few weeks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this on the printed entry form so guess the online entry would be similar.
    Late Individual Entry: 45 Euro (Sept 9th – 21st)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Re. Closing date, Found this on website:
    The entry fees are as follows…
    €35 Early Bird Individual Entry Fee until August 1st
    €40 Individual Entry Fee after August 1st @ 1pm until September 9th @ 1pm
    €45 Late Entry Fee from Sept 9th @ 1pm until Sept. 21st @ 3pm online

So currently €40 to enter and entries open right up until the weekend of the race. Not sure if there is a limit on numbers though?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Corkie100 wrote: »
    Re. Closing date, Found this on website:
    The entry fees are as follows…
    €35 Early Bird Individual Entry Fee until August 1st
    €40 Individual Entry Fee after August 1st @ 1pm until September 9th @ 1pm
    €45 Late Entry Fee from Sept 9th @ 1pm until Sept. 21st @ 3pm online

So currently €40 to enter and entries open right up until the weekend of the race. Not sure if there is a limit on numbers though?

Its still €35 to enter until 15th Aug as per their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/CharlevilleInternationalHalfMarathon?ref=stream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm so in two minds whether to do this or not! I'm sure it's a great event and the flat course is a massive incentive, but it is on the dearer end of things and the Cork-Cobh two weeks later is only €10 for bhaa members (albeit with no timing chips, medal or technical t shirt) Better decide today as I really don't want to pay €40!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

ncmc wrote: »
    Cork-Cobh two weeks later is only €10 for bhaa members (albeit with no timing chips, medal or technical t shirt)

and €10 for the great unwashed non-members too!
    you do get a cotton t- shirt, which I personally prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

eliwallach wrote: »

You're right. I registered on the day last year so I paid €15, but I do remember it was cheaper to pre register. It's superb value it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

eliwallach wrote: »

A great run for sure, wish it wasn't the same day as the Athlone 3/4 marathon though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Registered for this the other day.
    How fast is this course from what I've read on the Cork running blog its being made out to be a very fast course.
    Anyone on here ran it before? any thoughts on it?

pico84 wrote: »
    Registered for this the other day.
    How fast is this course from what I've read on the Cork running blog its being made out to be a very fast course.
    Anyone on here ran it before? any thoughts on it?

I ran it last year - good fast course alright. Flat for large sections and any climbs are mirrored with equal downhills. Good t-shirt too from what I can remember. I'm signed up again for it this year and it will be one of my must-do races each year, unless they drastically change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Judging by all the PBs posted last year, it's fast all right. There's a hump back bridge over the Cork-Dublin railway line at about mile 2.5 & 10.5 (on the return). There's a very slight pull up from mile 12 at Kerry Group factory but you'd hardly notice if you've done any sort of hill training.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

From what I can remember from last year is how flat and especially straight it was...some of the straights went on for quiet a bit but with a good decent running surface.

One hump back bridge after a couple of miles which you crossed over again on the way back.....a bit of a pull back up through the town in the last 1/2 mile but nothing of too much note.

Very well organised start, roped off along the sides so you walked down the sides and nipped into your starting slot..none of this trying to wade though hundreds of runners to get near the front, aka ballycotton, or runners that just arrived having to join the front, aka clonakility.

Great spread afterwards.

Thought the immediate start was a bit tight myself . I hope they have the start planned out well if there is a larger number, as it seems likely, than last year. Maybe use the whole width of the road would be a good idea?
    Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, or if it is on website, but are there pacers in the race this year? If yes, which time slots will be paced?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Weather looking very favourable for this Sunday. Is there anything they can't organise for this race :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Redtop wrote: »
    Confirmation of Pacers planned for 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140 mins.
    2 Pacers planned for the 3 fastest times.
    Just one in each of the remaining time slots.

Update : This is still in flux. There may only be 1 Pacer per Slot and the 2:20 (140) Slot may not be covered. Further updates will be posted by Race Director or Pacing Team.

Looking forward to this race now. How many boardsies are heading down? This thread seems very quiet in comparison to some other event threads...

I'm in 2 minds as to whether to drive down and stay in the hotel tomorrow night or not. Probably not worth it, for the sake of an hour and a quarter drive - but it'd be nice to wake up and have no drive to worry about on Sunday morning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm doing it too. I'll have my boards t-shirt on so say hello. Not sure how fast I'll be running....maybe 1:40 - 1:45 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Me and the missus are giving this a bash too.
    I'm hoping for something around 1.34 - 1.36. Herself maybe about 2.05 - 2.06.
    Driving down Sunday morning, about an hour an half away. Early start on the road alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

See ye down there, will have my Boards AC shirt on but have to race in the yellow & black. Will it be the AKW Vs Mr. Wiggle rematch? ;)

See ye down there, will have my Boards AC shirt on but have to race in the yellow & black. Will it be the AKW Vs Mr. Wiggle rematch? ;)

Why yes Mr.Akw, YES IT WILL BE !!!

Disclaimer...not run since Monday, nursing a Ham-strain, plus I know you've been doing some serious training since I kicked your ass in Portumna!!!

P.s. We'll use your yellow&black gear as a rallying point for boardsies!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Best of luck in the race folks. Hope we see some PB results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

mr.wiggle wrote: »

P.s. We'll use your yellow&black gear as a rallying point for boardsies!??

Sounds like a plan ;)

Beef wrote: »
    Looking forward to this race now. How many boardsies are heading down? This thread seems very quiet in comparison to some other event threads...

I'm in 2 minds as to whether to drive down and stay in the hotel tomorrow night or not. Probably not worth it, for the sake of an hour and a quarter drive - but it'd be nice to wake up and have no drive to worry about on Sunday morning. :)

All depends on whether or not you're looking for a pb beef ?

Off to bed early and a drive Sunday morning after a bowl of porridge, or a nice few relaxing pints Sat. night and a big fry up served up pre-race ???

i know which choice sounds better !!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Running this too. Looking forward to it. First race since Marathon in April

Hoping for a PB - Sub 1.45 :o:

Advertisement