Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half Marathon Sept 22nd 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sounds like a plan ;)

Just to clarify I'm the heavier built lad in the black & yellow ;)

See ye all in the morning for the warmup at 9 ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

PDCAT wrote: »
    Me and the missus are giving this a bash too.
    I'm hoping for something around 1.34 - 1.36. Herself maybe about 2.05 - 2.06.
    Driving down Sunday morning, about an hour an half away. Early start on the road alright.

Best of luck to everybody running tomorrow. I've run 1.36- 1.38 for my 3 half marathons this year, hoping the fast course and a decent run of training will allow me to sneak in under 1.35, PDCAT might be so good as to pace me in at 1.34.59 :)

P.S.

Yikes!! The website www.charlevillehalf.com is down. Hope they get it sorted quickly as this has been so well organised to date (from what I can see), would hate to see the organisers get any kind of negative PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    All depends on whether or not you're looking for a pb beef ?

Off to bed early and a drive Sunday morning after a bowl of porridge, or a nice few relaxing pints Sat. night and a big fry up served up pre-race ???

i know which choice sounds better !!:pac:

Looks like I may as well go for a pb since I haven't moved off the couch for most of the day. Stupid porridge and bananas it is!

No pints, an early night and the promise of at least a gallon of Guinness tomorrow after dinner should get me around okay. ;)

Best of luck to you all tomorrow, if I see any boards tops I'll be sure to say hello!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm pulling out. ITB at me as well as everything else so will have to wait till next year. Good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

Hi, just getting back from a long year of injury.... ran Clonmel half a few weeks ago under 101'42 having started very easy. Any advice on how good is this course in comparison. Hoping to attempt 98'15 (7'30ml pace). Am I being too ambitious????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Great race as always, beautiful day for it, might be a tad hot & slight breeze, might explain why I didn't improve on rocknroll time but imagine all times were back or so I hope!

jfh wrote: »
    Great race as always, beautiful day for it, might be a tad hot & slight breeze, might explain why I didn't improve on rocknroll time but imagine all times were back or so I hope!

I was hoping for 1:45:XX / low 1:46 today but I found it too hot. I slowed down to below my target pace from early on and decided if there was anything left with 2 miles to go I'd give it a lash. Disappointing not to beat my pb by more than the couple of seconds I managed, but the heat played its part I'm sure (I hope!). 2 ambulances flew past me at a couple of points and I'm sure I could hear more further up ahead - I hope everyone is okay. Yesterdays events in Dublin should serve as a reminder that 95% of us are fun runners and we should be enjoying these events as best we can.

The race itself was brilliantly run and I couldn't fault it. Huge spread afterwards, I've never seen so many doughnuts and buns. The sponsors, Lidl must have emptied their store room. :)

A big well done to North Cork AC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Finished with a PB of 1:59:55 (line time). 13 mins better than my first half in July.

Thanks to the gent that paced 2hrs. He did a super job keeping people motivated. I went out with a lad I know from home who i bumped into and another lad. At about 7 miles we realised we were dropping off the pacer for 2hrs. We decided to put the head down and catch up. At least that's what I thought was said. When I looked back after catching the pacer, they were well back unfortunately. I was hoping they would catch up but the still came in at a super 2:09 given the heat.

So at 8m, I was feeling good but started to feel it around 10m. That's when the pacer worked his magic. Kept the head down until mile 12 and I decided to go for it.

Very well run event but I could have sworn there were supposed to be medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Great day all round I am told, superb organisation as usual. Results now on www.championchipireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Very well run event, Well done to all. Particularly enjoyed the Lidl spread afterwards.

Delighted to get a few mins below my previous PB of 1.45 - despite the heat! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

You'll be pleased to know we have revised the guntimes down by a couple of seconds. Now available on www.championchipireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Really enjoyed that run today, went out to use it as a nice training run for Dublin and had aimed for 1.35. Came in about 30 secs over that, but I'm not complaining considering the heat.

My 2 cents on today :

The Good
    -- Brilliant atmosphere
    -- Great friendly crowd
    -- Really nice route, may be flat, but it is nowhere near level, which is what I kinda let myself believe. That's my fault.
    -- Unbelievable spread of food afterward, including grub for an auld gluten freer like myself. Kudos to you there Lidl and organisers.
    -- Water stops had plenty and were just about in the correct places.

The Middle
    -- Heat was a major factor today, this is obviously not under the control of the organisers and considering the time of year, its was freak to get a day that warm and sunny, but I've never seen such amount of runners stop to walk and/or fade away, or God bless some of them - collapse :(

The Bad
    -- Where's the medals? After such a good day, I was looking forward to having the medal on the neck going home. Going by the post earlier in this thread, it implied that there were medals. Ah well.

Summary, loved this event today, fantastically run, no fanfare, just a large group of people who wanted to run, and they did. And as long as the price doesn't shift higher, I'll be back for seconds next year.

Oh yeah, biggest shoutout of the day to that little kid with the hose about a mile from the end. Just what was needed at that time to kick start the run home. Fantastic.

You'll be pleased to know we have revised the guntimes down by a couple of seconds. Now available on www.championchipireland.com

excellent. I was 5 seconds ahead of the gun time.

e
    Really enjoyed that run today, went out to use it as a nice training run for Dublin and had aimed for 1.35. Came in about 30 secs over that, but I'm not complaining considering the heat.

My 2 cents on today :

The Good
    -- Brilliant atmosphere
    -- Great friendly crowd
    -- Really nice route, may be flat, but it is nowhere near level, which is what I kinda let myself believe. That's my fault.
    -- Unbelievable spread of food afterward, including grub for an auld gluten freer like myself. Kudos to you there Lidl and organisers.
    -- Water stops had plenty and were just about in the correct places.

The Middle
    -- Heat was a major factor today, this is obviously not under the control of the organisers and considering the time of year, its was freak to get a day that warm and sunny, but I've never seen such amount of runners stop to walk and/or fade away, or God bless some of them - collapse :(

The Bad
    -- Where's the medals? After such a good day, I was looking forward to having the medal on the neck going home. Going by the post earlier in this thread, it implied that there were medals. Ah well.

Summary, loved this event today, fantastically run, no fanfare, just a large group of people who wanted to run, and they did. And as long as the price doesn't shift higher, I'll be back for seconds next year.

Oh yeah, biggest shoutout of the day to that little kid with the hose about a mile from the end. Just what was needed at that time to kick start the run home. Fantastic.

I actually thought I was going mad, but I found they did have reference to a souvenir medal on their website until at least August 29th - I knew I read it!

What I have learned in my 8 months of running so far is that I'd happily trade a medal for a superbly organized race. I cannot complain about a single element of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Ditto to all thats been said previously. A truely enjoyable day out. The heat was too much alright but better than rain and wind I suppose? Heard some runners say the first water stop was too soon and the second stop too far . I get what they meant , as the second water station couldnt come too soon for me. Paced the first half easy, and chased down the 1.30 lads for the second half. Missed them by 40 secs in the end but a pb all the same, delighted!
    I'll leave Akw let you know the result of the challenge!!

Mr.W

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Water at 3.5, 6.5 and 9 mile markers seemed reasonable, considering the number of volunteers required to staff them. Higher temperatures on the day must have put additional pressure on them, but they did not run out. Additional water was moved to mile 11.5, but it might have been late for the faster runners. Lots of nearly full bottles picked up by the volunteers afterwards, suggested that some runners only took a tiny sip and then discarded the bottles quickly. I'd suggest taking additional sips & holding onto the bottle a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

funnily, i thought it was one of the better races regards the water stations.
    i held onto my water for a while & never felt the stations were too far apart.
    may have been different further back.

jfh wrote: »
    funnily, i thought it was one of the better races regards the water stations.
    i held onto my water for a while & never felt the stations were too far apart.
    may have been different further back.

Personally I thought they were bang on. The amount of people taking a slug and firing bottles into ditches was ridiculous. You're running in a race, you're sweating buckets on a warm sticky day and you take a mouthful of water?!

Anyway, why do people fell the need to fire bottles? Drop it at the side of the road or tuck it into your waistband, they're not heavy when they're empty :rolleyes:

To add, I was back on the course last night and well done to the organisers who left the place spotless (inspite of the throwers). Loved this event and will be back next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Great race and great course. couldnt fault any of it really
    Conditions weren't ideal, headwind all the way back for about 6 miles and the heat made it tough on top of that. Obviously completely outside their control.

Have a look at the attached - break down of positive/negative splits.
    Only 36 negative splits from a filed of over 700. That'll show ya how the conditions caught up with people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

To add, I was back on the course last night and well done to the organisers who left the place spotless (inspite of the throwers). Loved this event and will be back next year.
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    I'll leave Akw let you know the result of the challenge!!

Come on then. Out with it. We're all waiting here on the edge of our seats to know who won the smackdown!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Well Done Michael and all the other race crew, volunteers etc. Very well run event.

Come on then. Out with it. We're all waiting here on the edge of our seats to know who won the smackdown!!!

Oh sorry!!

Can't believe he left me to it.

It was a different event out there, Mr. Wiggle had a time goal, I didn't as I was (& no disrespect to the organisers) running the race in the middle of a long run. My goal was to run progressive paces through out and I achieved that exactly as planned.

Did Mr. Wiggle achieve his goal? ;)

TKO to Mr. Wiggle, he won the good natured smackdown, pressure is on for Eddie Murphy Memorial.

PS we both were negative splitters :D

pico84 wrote: »
    Conditions weren't ideal, headwind all the way back for about 6 miles and the heat made it tough on top of that. Obviously completely outside their control.

Only 36 negative splits from a filed of over 700. That'll show ya how the conditions caught up with people

Something slightly off with the times, not sure if I'm being blonde or what.

The 'chip time' shown for me is the actual clock time when I hit the finish line which should be 'guntime', no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Finish time is your gun time and chip time is your line to line time.

That spread sheet is taken from championchip with a few extra columns added so the finish time and chip time should be accurate

Personally I thought they were bang on. The amount of people taking a slug and firing bottles into ditches was ridiculous. You're running in a race, you're sweating buckets on a warm sticky day and you take a mouthful of water?!

Anyway, why do people fell the need to fire bottles? Drop it at the side of the road or tuck it into your waistband, they're not heavy when they're empty :rolleyes:

This I can never understand. There are bins if you want to dump the bottle after a few swigs, but throwing bottles over hedgerows and 20 yards off the course is just ignorance in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

i suffered big time yesterday in the heat. Targeted 1.35 - 1.37. Was on target at 8 miles, then suffered big time. Walked on three occasions and limped in at 1.45. Really disappointed as i know i should be able for 1.37.

Thanks to those two young kids who hosed me down over the last mile. I needed it badly.Congrats to all who achieved good times in the heat. My first half was 48.34, second half 57mins+
    Tells the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Those kids were great. Little girl before them was shouting stay left if you want to get hosed. Was only too happy to stay left..well done to Charleville again. They really involve all ages, great race for runners of all ability

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

The Mile 12 Water Hose Kids say "You are welcome. Come back again next year." There were 3 of them on rotating shifts using their Grandad's hose. :)

pico84 wrote: »

My first ever sub-2hr half AND a rare negative split :) The smile I cannot remove on my face since Sunday has increased in side again :D

• Advertisement

I thought the water stops were great to be honest. They were a little futher on than advertised but they had a ton of water in small bottles.

I've only two other races to compare with - The Great Limerick Run had loads of water but the bottles were huge and lots was wasted, and the Run Killarney Half underdropped at miles 3 and 6 so I got no water till mile 9.

So Charleville was a massive step up.

And those hoses were lovely :)

Advertisement