Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Print your own gun

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

True we won't see anything for the home or small business for a good while.
    I was surprised to find out there is a company in ireland producing plastic parts for sale using a 3D printer. I didn't realise it was at that stage yet but it is replacing molding for some parts as long as the conditions are right.

It's restricted to plastics at the moment but the parts this company were making are going up to the international space station which gives you some idea of the quality they must be able to produce.

For something like that where you only need a small run and it's using the right material it has huge advantages over molding. Molding only makes sense if you're producing thousands and thousands of parts, as the cost of the mold itself can be tens of thousands of euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No doubt about it, and I wouldn't like to be near the person firing it either. The tolerances on some war produced pieces are pretty shoddy, even when the design takes it into account.
    I know someone who built a homemade CNC centre for their final year project, he was given a simple test piece to replicate. Wandering calibration meant he couldn't do it with any reasonable degree of accuracy.
    Interchangeable parts are something we take for granted though, guns made in sheds in a slum (or in a besieged Leningrad) fit together after someone's gone to work with a vice and a file.

Yeah, the dies for injection molding, particularly the more complex parts are pretty damn expensive if I remember correctly. And then there's all the work after the mold finishes its job, I gather the final product on the high end 3D printers need less and less finishing. Printing off parts and being able to store the design for next time is ideal for small batches and it'll get more efficient. When I was in college it was the new fangled 'rapid prototyping' solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

kowloon wrote: »

I'm not sure 3D printing hi-cap magazines constitutes the more difficult side of gun making, it's pretty much a plastic box with a spring and follower. I can't watch the video though, so I might be misreading the subject.

These are the same guys that made the gun in op, defence distributed

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

kowloon wrote: »
    No doubt about it, and I wouldn't like to be near the person firing it either. The tolerances on some war produced pieces are pretty shoddy, even when the design takes it into account.
    I know someone who built a homemade CNC centre for their final year project, he was given a simple test piece to replicate. Wandering calibration meant he couldn't do it with any reasonable degree of accuracy.
    Interchangeable parts are something we take for granted though, guns made in sheds in a slum (or in a besieged Leningrad) fit together after someone's gone to work with a vice and a file.

Yeah, the dies for injection molding, particularly the more complex parts are pretty damn expensive if I remember correctly. And then there's all the work after the mold finishes its job, I gather the final product on the high end 3D printers need less and less finishing. Printing off parts and being able to store the design for next time is ideal for small batches and it'll get more efficient. When I was in college it was the new fangled 'rapid prototyping' solution.

I would not be the one to test it either. We use the Objet printer at work and the material is very brittle. We have to be very careful with some of our models when washing away the support material. Never mind using it under the forces of a controlled explosion.

It is an ideal way to prototype though, can print one test it, change design and print again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Seen this a few weeks ago and I'm delighted that technology has gone this far as to be able to do something like it, but I can't help the feeling that it's causing a slight problem by it enabling something like this to happen, or more to the point... That fucking retard who thought it would be a bright idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nailz wrote: »
    but I can't help the feeling that it's causing a slight problem by it enabling something like this to happen,
    We keep focusing on the fact it's a gun but at the end of the day they've figured out how to make an explosion chamber. The same thought process could be put into making a combustion engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the second post captured the future of this tech. There's only one thing that gets shared on the net and printed, the 3D part is just the next step. Al Gore didn't invent the internet so we could all shoot each other, did he? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I am going to print a real life girlfriend with real looking hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There was a few home-made shot guns going round Crumlin / Drimnagh a few years ago made out of "gun barrel" , the pipe used by plumbers/fitters on industrial sites.They were called "bang sticks".

Similar in size to the old anco barrel poppers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Can it print a printer that can print prints?
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mckrx2ghh51qm4i18.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

ScumLord wrote: »
    We keep focusing on the fact it's a gun but at the end of the day they've figured out how to make an explosion chamber. The same thought process could be put into making a combustion engine.
    Oh I'm by no means denying that, I totally agree in fact. This may have caused a small problem but I'm sure in time this will reap far greater benefits in size, my only qualm is the fact that some geebag went to the lengths he did to make a gun out of it and openly distribute the templates needed to do so online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Gil is still on top of his sh1t I see

Wrong show, that's the one based in Vegas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I am going to print a real life girlfriend with real looking hair

You could print 7 of them and live like an Arab king.

Advertisement