Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new garden question

• 07-05-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

I have a gardening question.

It’s a new house, and there hasn’t been a garden laid before, previously field would have been a meadow.
    Soil type is daubey, can get very wet in the rain, and very dry when its dry. There is drainage on the site.

Garden site is approx .75 of an acre. When I moved in, I had the field level and stone buried, and was ready to be seeded, but then I missed the windows of opportunity, and haven’t been able to seed it since, that was 2 years ago. L

Last summer, it grew meadow grass back, thick and heavy, and a couple of foot high. So I cut it, and sprayed it off. And now I’m looking to go ahead and seed it.

I’m hoping to get a tractor in again to slightly rotovate the land, with out disturbing to much of the stones that were buried.

I know the soil isn’t great, but would the fact that it grew wild grass last summer, be any indication to its ability to grow lawn grass once seeded??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I'm no expert on the matter, but do have some similar experience with my own little back garden.

If you want a nice lawn that's weed free and not meadow-grass, I'd recommend re-spraying it and laying some anti-weed mesh across the lawn. As you have access to a tractor, you might wanna throw a tonne or two of topsoil over the mesh and then seed it from scratch. I reckon that's the only way of a guaranteed 'fresh' lawn, free from the previous soil's inherent meadow grass membranes.

I haven't had a weed in three years and you could play snooker on the new lawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

thanks.
    i ended up spraying it off with roundup.
    once that died down, hiired a power rake for the soil, which left it in great condition,.

got a motorised seeder, seeded it, put out some fertilzer etc.
    one month after that, the seed has taken hold,
    its about 7 weeks old now, good and thick ryegrass,
    had its first topping there last week.

looking good..
    thanks for your help

Advertisement