Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next step?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I got bad news from a college this morning. I was hoping to go to college & attend a BA Honours in Accounting course. I was rejected on the grounds that my Maths from my Leaving Certificate in 2005 were not up to standard.

Im just wondering if anybody else has ever been rejected for this reason & is there any other options for somebody like me? Would I have to repeat Leaving Cert Maths if I wanted to get a place in a Level 8 course.

Extremely disappointed as applying as a mature student I thought I'd have a chance at getting the course I wanted as I got high grades in Accounting & Business Organisation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

What college were you planning on going to?
    Same thing happened to me i went for a science degree at nuim, only to be told maths was a big factor and as i had only junior cert maths i didn't get a place, they recommend me to do a higher cert in science its level 6 and included maths maths physics and experimental physics and more,so i'm now finished it and have to say it was brilliant for me here is a link if you want to take a look.

http://access.nuim.ie/mature/prospective-students/foundation/preparatory-courses

• Registered Users Posts: 22 haywire1989

National College of ireland (NCI). They have offered me an interview for the Higher Cert in Business which I do hope to get. Will or have you went on to do a level 8 now that you have your higher cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Im just finished it this may, i have three exams and the rules were 80% attendance and a minimum 60% overall in each subject. So i have a very good chance of getting in come September as i am a mature student, i also have fetac level 5 subjects and now this coarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

National College of ireland (NCI). They have offered me an interview for the Higher Cert in Business which I do hope to get. Will or have you went on to do a level 8 now that you have your higher cert?

Feck that! Go and speak to an Accountancy & Finance course chairperson in TCD, UCD or DCU. Ask them what your CV is lacking for entry in Sept 2014 (entry is probably closed for 2013) and spend this year doing a one year course to remedy that! Ask them if they can recommend a course for you.

Open University do some stand alone modules too, e.g. Maths etc if you just need to refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

An access course would be perfect. I attended the UCD one but most big universities now have similar courses offered to mature applicants.

With the higher certificate you should be able to progress onto the degree course though? So it's just a stepping stone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement