Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy bananas in bulk?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey guys,

The question is in the title. Does anyone know where I can purchase bananas for wholesale price? I eat over 30 a week, and it works out really expensive!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's a lotta lotta bananas!

If you're in Dublin the fruit/veg/flower market beside the four courts would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

30 a week?
    Sweet Jebus! :)

Have you tried Terryland Fruit and Veg or Deacys ?Not wholesale prices but they might be cheaper than tesco etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Could try curleys fruit and veg out the curraghline (out the headford road a few miles)

http://www.curleysqualityfoods.com/

They are wholesale and supply trade and retail but Im sure you could try them anyway. Maybe a story about supplying them for a sports team or something would soften them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SweetJeebus

Lol, nice play on my name whimsical!
    I would eat more if my purse would allow me to :D

I'll try Terryland as I'm near there, thanks. I used to shop in Ernies Fruit and Veg last year but can't remember what his prices are like?
    Hmm, I'll try make it out as far as Curleys once I get a bike sorted, could be a very long trek with that amount of bananas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Probably too far away but Richardsons in Limerick are a catering fruit and veg supplier. http://www.richardsonsfoods.ie/

On a side note, isnt excessive bananas a cause of constipation :O

• Advertisement

Only if they're not ripe enough cooperguy :)
    I wait until they're going brown and spotty. If I eat them with any green on the whatsoever, I will get a sore belly!
    Hmmm, a bit too far, might go as far as Limerick if I need a years supply!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Only if they're not ripe enough cooperguy :)
    I wait until they're going brown and spotty. If I eat them with any green on the whatsoever, I will get a sore belly!
    Hmmm, a bit too far, might go as far as Limerick if I need a years supply!

If you like them brown and spotty you could nearly call over to my house and take any ones that I have!! I don't like them when they are too ripe so I always have some left lying around! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Try total produce. They have a stall at the saturday market

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin
    cooperguy wrote: »
    Richardsons in Limerick
    Gosh, Galway city forum is really big.

I'd try the Terryland veg place too, they're usually cheap(er).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That's a lotta lotta bananas!

If you're in Dublin the fruit/veg/flower market beside the four courts would be your best bet.

Apologies for the Dublin bit - I was reading on my phone and failed to notice that this was posted on the Galway forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I beg to differ. Bananas are a big part of the vegan lifestyle for some. Some vegans will blend down 15,20,25 bananas into a smoothie for the day.

LOL belcampprisoner, I've heard that one a few times before! I personally feel like the whole "overdose of potassium" science is based on potassium as an isolated mineral and not working in synergy with the all the other nutrients in a banana.

I'm studying the raw vegan diet so I have a creepily intense interest in bananas :P he he

Can't make it to the market most weekends StonedRaider :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its a theoretically possible thing that bananas could kill you but you would have to consume something like 120 or 240 in less time than your body can deal with the potassium ingested. Also your stomach likely couldnt handle so many bananas in such a short space of time.
    According to wikipedia, the oral LD50 of potassium chloride is 2.5 g/kg.
    The atomic mass of potassium is 39 mg/mol, while the molecular weight of potassium chloride is about 74.5 g/mol. Therefore, the amount of potassium in 2.5 g/kg of potassium chloride is about 1.3 g/kg.

Since there are 0.806 mg potassium in one banana, this would lead to a banana LD50 of 1.6 bananas / kg (making a huge and largely unwarranted assumption that there is no effect on lethality whether it is taken as KCl or a banana).
    So theoretically and 75 kg person could reach LD50 levels of potassium by eating 122 bananas.
    EDIT: The calculations were based on the potassium content in 250 g of banana, not one banana like I thought. It looks like your typical banana weighs about half that, so adjust the numbers to LD50 of 3.2 bananas/kg, which would be 244 bananas for a 75 kg person.

Ha ha, I really don't get what you're trying to prove by telling me that. I don't why anyone would ever want or need to eat that many bananas in one sitting. I think that much of anything would kill you. Lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ha ha, I really don't get what you're trying to prove by telling me that. I don't why anyone would ever want or need to eat that many bananas in one sitting. I think that much of anything would kill you. Lol...

Ha sorry was referring to the guy earlier who said you can die from bananas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try total produce. They have a stall at the saturday market

Do they advertise prices? Are their prices competitive compared to other retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Off-topic, but it reminds me of a Galway FAS course I was sent on back in the late 80's called 'Getting Back To Work'.

The first half of the day was spent on CV & Cover Letter preparation, and as we broke for lunch, the instructor informed us that the afternoon would be spent learning how to speak to prospective employers on the phone.

When we returned after lunch, our instructor had placed one banana on each desk, which was to be used as a phone for our practical session.

Of course, she had a real telephone on her desk :rolleyes:

She asked the lad sitting next to me, to pick up his 'phone', and speak to her asking for a job. He looked around, muttered 'F**k this sh*te', and proceeded to peel and eat the banana.

She started screaming at him to stop eating his telephone, and then proceeded to chastise us all, telling us that FAS had paid good money for their supplies, and if any of us damaged any of the other 'phones', we would be kicked-off the course and removed from the live register. :mad:

Bananas never tasted quite the same since that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

dilallio wrote: »

She asked the lad sitting next to me, to pick up his 'phone', and speak to her asking for a job. He looked around, muttered 'F**k this sh*te', and proceeded to peel and eat the banana.

Did he get the job in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hey guys,

The question is in the title. Does anyone know where I can purchase bananas for wholesale price? I eat over 30 a week, and it works out really expensive!

Do a search for fruit & veg shops, there are a few wholesalers around. I came across a reference to two suplliers on the G hotel menu:
    Frank Burke Fruit & Vegetables
    John Curleys Vegetables

dilallio wrote: »
    Off-topic, but it reminds me of a Galway FAS course I was sent on back in the late 80's called 'Getting Back To Work'.

The first half of the day was spent on CV & Cover Letter preparation, and as we broke for lunch, the instructor informed us that the afternoon would be spent learning how to speak to prospective employers on the phone.

When we returned after lunch, our instructor had placed one banana on each desk, which was to be used as a phone for our practical session.

Of course, she had a real telephone on her desk :rolleyes:

She started screaming at him to stop eating his telephone, and then proceeded to chastise us all, telling us that FAS had paid good money for their supplies, and if any of us damaged any of the other 'phones', we would be kicked-off the course and removed from the live register. :mad:

Bananas never tasted quite the same since that day.

Too funny. I had no idea where you going with that until the very end, ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If you are around Tesco they sell off their 'out of date' bananas most evenings around 8-30. Usually about 20cent a bunch.

Brilliant, thanks! I was wondering what times they had the reduced section filled at.

If you are around Tesco they sell off their 'out of date' bananas most evenings around 8-30. Usually about 20cent a bunch.

Sandman...Thank you so much for telling me this. I just went and bought 37 bananas for €1.78. :eek:
    I would have gotten more only at one stage I thought a fight might break out over us all trying to get at them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sandman...Thank you so much for telling me this. I just went and bought 37 bananas for €1.78. :eek:
    I would have gotten more only at one stage I thought a fight might break out over us all trying to get at them;)

Horray.A happy ending!
    I hope all the other banana lovers won't see this post and be onto that tip :)
    Enjoy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No worries. Don't eat em all at once.

Advertisement