Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting

Options
  • 07-05-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey everyone, just wondering myself and my boyfriend are looking for an apartment to rent we have been looking for the past three/four months and I am beginning to think we will never find somewhere :(

we are having trouble as it is our first time renting a place and every apartment we have gone to look at the agent then looks for your last rental reference.. how are you supposed to start out if they all look for ref's :(

Has anyone had this trouble any advice would be great :) thank you. x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Where are you looking and what type of property are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

are either/both of you working? You could ask your bosses for a character reference (ie trustworthy, reliable etc etc) and see if this would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A work reference will usually suffice where a reference from a previous rental is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eb89

Thanks for all your replys!! Yes we are both working full time. We are looking for the Dublin area.. at this stage anything as I am getting board looking ha ha trying for one/two bed apartment. They where saying on the radio last week that there are loads of places to rent in dublin and the landlords can't find anyone.. I would love to know where they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

eb89 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replys!! Yes we are both working full time. We are looking for the Dublin area.. at this stage anything as I am getting board looking ha ha trying for one/two bed apartment. They where saying on the radio last week that there are loads of places to rent in dublin and the landlords can't find anyone.. I would love to know where they are!

If the agents are giving you grief, then go onto daft your self and look for a private rental. Much easier to deal with landlords directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They where saying on the radio last week that there are loads of places to rent in dublin and the landlords can't find anyone.. I would love to know where they are!
    Probably high rent in a rough area. Otherwise I call bullsh|t.
    Thanks for all your replys!! Yes we are both working full time.
    First off, get a nice reference from your boss on headed paper stating that you've worked there for X years; it'll show the agent you can afford the place.
    We are looking for the Dublin area.. at this stage anything as I am getting board looking ha ha trying for one/two bed apartment.
    An often mistake is to look for a place with X amount of beds. Instead, put in unlimited beds, and put the price that you can afford. I say this, as I have often seen a half decent 4 house in a good area for the same that you'd spend on a small 2 bed apartment in a not so good area.

What would your budget be, and what area of Dublin do you both work (North, South, East or West for example)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Letter from your employer will do the job. Lots of 1-2 bed apts available in Dublin but I guess it depends on your budget.

Advertisement