Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Falafel planning Ireland stores

Options
  • 07-05-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to trying this. Just Falafel is a vegetarian* Falafel chain that started in the UAE and is now planning expansion into a number of countries including UK and Ireland.

According to their company overview, they've 3 stores planned to open in Dublin in 2013. (article about UK stores)

To be honest, it doesn't look quite as good/healthy as Maoz, but still would be pretty awesome to have.

(* on a related note, I just discovered that Nutella is in fact vegetarian these days.. woot :)linky)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

didn't know nutella wasn't veggie, not that I eat it. Falafel is cool , I go to Lebanese restaurants a bit. The cedar tree do falafel/falafel wraps for under a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I wish I could be more optimistic for them but all I see are Irish lads wondering why they can't see how a battered sausage or spice burger is on the menu.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I hope this comes to pass, I love falafel but I'm crap at making it, I just can't get the consistency right. Having it more widely available, perhaps at shopping centre food courts, would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'm still hoping a Maoz might open over here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

cosmic wrote: »
    I'm still hoping a Maoz might open over here :pac:

Maoz is amazing :)

Don't know why a lot of their European locations closed as the US ones started opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

3 shops in Dublin, none in the rest of the country? :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I wish I could be more optimistic for them but all I see are Irish lads wondering why they can't see how a battered sausage or spice burger is on the menu.... :(

Yes because thats why the likes of mexican foods have exploded in the last 2 years. I think youll find Ireland has moved past the battered sausage spice burger stage. Food horizons have opened quite a bit past your comment....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    listermint wrote: »
    Yes because thats why the likes of mexican foods have exploded in the last 2 years. I think youll find Ireland has moved past the battered sausage spice burger stage. Food horizons have opened quite a bit past your comment....

That's true, but I think all of those Mexican places have meat on the menu.
    There is still a sizable, I would say majority even, that will turn their nose up at somewhere before trying it if they find out it's vegan/vegetarian.

Well that's my experience anyway. I think since this falafel place doesn't rely heavily on any veg. branding, they could attract some more wary meat-eaters.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    3 shops in Dublin, none in the rest of the country? :confused::(

I just found the reference to Dublin in their news update (here) and company overview (here), they've only started opening in the UK so I wouldn't read too much into it.

That food looks plastic in the advertisments.
    I,d much prefer a Maoz. The salad bar is what makes it great.
    I think that is appealing part for non veggies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I love Maoz so much I've been thinking of opening one myself :)

• Advertisement

Tasted it for the first time last week at lunch. There is a stand just behind the IFSC. People were getting it for lunch. Not Vegetarian myself but it was nice.

I'm always wary of commentators you use "I think you'll find" but as I say, I wish I could be more optimistic. Mexican foods have become popular, buy mostly meat based meals. i still get a second look when ordering the veggie burrito. Frankly if I thought they'd be successful I'd open one myself but I think they'll struggle. I'll be there at least once a week myself and wish them well but it's a niche market.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I hope this comes to pass, I love falafel but I'm crap at making it, I just can't get the consistency right.

There's loads of "just add water" dry mixes out there and they're pretty much fool proof. If you're ever in an Asda (up north) they have a crackin' own brand mix. Local health food shops and even supermarkets should have some.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tesco have a just add water one that is really good, and quite cheap. Cant wait to try this place, where will the shops be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'll never forget the second time I went to a Maoz in Amsterdam, the first time I had been there was after a feed of beers so the food went down a treat, the second though was a couple of years later and I had been raving about the place to the Mrs., so it was her first experience based on my glowing reviews. So the guy serving us serious dirt-under-the-nails syndrome and then proceeded to put out the rubbish and come back to serve more customers while not washing his hands. On top of that we couldn't see the point in him doing anything with the rubbish given that most of it was still lying in the floor all over the place. Put me off for life so it did.

Having said that I make a great falafel straight from soaking the chickpeas right though to a variety of tahini/lemon sauces, Harissa and so on, took a lot of practice and a great recipe from Arto Der Haroutunian: http://artoderharoutunian.com/. If anyone needs the recipe I'll pm them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not vegie and I love Maoz and would be very happy to support one in Cork!
    I was a regular in the Antwerp outlet which was always spotless.

Having said that I make a great falafel straight from soaking the chickpeas right though to a variety of tahini/lemon sauces, Harissa and so on, took a lot of practice and a great recipe from Arto Der Haroutunian: http://artoderharoutunian.com/. If anyone needs the recipe I'll pm them.

I'd love that recipe please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

@ henryporter
    Hi. wouldnt mind trying that recipe. if you could pm it io me i'll give it a go next weekend.thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Are you comparing vegetarian falafels to Mexican food?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm interested in these developments o_O

Zombienosh wrote: »
    didn't know nutella wasn't veggie, not that I eat it. Falafel is cool , I go to Lebanese restaurants a bit. The cedar tree do falafel/falafel wraps for under a fiver.

Rotana Cafe do falafel sandwiches too, Sultan, Falafel and Kebab in Templebar, I've even seen falafel in the Lovinspoon cafe near me. Maybe more places, you can definitely get falafel in Dublin! Still more falafel is good

I'm in the middle of making falafel at the moment lol

I'd love that recipe please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Nice enough menu. Hopefully they'll find their way to Galway eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I hope this comes to pass, I love falafel but I'm crap at making it, I just can't get the consistency right. Having it more widely available, perhaps at shopping centre food courts, would be great.

I struggled with the consistency, but I think I've gotten quite close. You can have a look at my baked falafel recipe I posted on boards a while ago here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76974984&postcount=12

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

I also would LOVE the recipe! :)

Advertisement