Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed ident and advice

• 07-05-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Can anybody identify this weed ? it is all over my garden and has long strings of roots which seem to grow even when they are broken up into short pieces. Any advice on how to get rid of the bugger ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey foleyart
    Its of the buttercup(ranunculaceae) family, not sure which,the few options are digging out, wet cardboard/weed barrier with compost/mulch on top, glyphosate based weedkiller( spray on a calm day)
    Hope this helps
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Hi GL, thanks for your response. This thing has roots that extend all over the place, when I dig it up it is a mass of these long white roots not unlike dock plants. They can be a few feet in length and I have noticed that a few short sections that were left a few days were immediately sprouting again. I am very slow to use weedkiller as I know most of them are harmful to frogs and insects. Any kind of homegrown solution to the problem? or is it just hard slog all the way and pick them all out. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Looks like Colts-foot Tussilago farfara to me and I don't have any slog free/non chemical options to suggest for removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The wet carboard, heavy mulch and leaving the section fallow for a year does work and the worms eventually drag your cardboard an mulch down into the soil, improving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Hey Mothman I had a look on the internet and it looks like you are on the ball, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Rocking mothman
    I just saw such similarities with this buttercup

file:///C:/Users/amaher/Downloads/buttercup%20relatives.JPG

Advertisement