Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

media enclosure

Options
  • 07-05-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

feel free to move to another forum..

Hi all

looking for suggestions , i |Have 3.5 sata hard drive. I want to buy an enclosure that i can hook up to the telly.

I have a lot of my dvds backed up onto this drive (ahem) and want to be able to view them on my TV. Something easy to use as others will be using it as well but doesn't have to be very fancy or anything but at same time smooth running and is able to play the diffeent formats divx.xvid etc...

cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

There is quite a few options if you want to check over at the HTPC & Media Centre Forum

I have seen the SumVision Cyclone Primus V2 enclosure working and it has a nice layout... but some users have reported overheating from certain types of hard drives in it... not really effecting playback etc. but maybe potentially shortening the hard drives lifespan. (this has been overcome though by users drilling multiple 2/3mm drillbit holes in the casing for better airflow)

I also have a mate who has the Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player. This is a nice bit of kit and plays every sort of file thrown at it (mkv/avi/mp4 etc.) but not perfect for your situation as you would need a separate plain hard drive to usb enclosure.

Of course you could go the more expensive WD live TV unit too... nice layout and excellent remote.

We are in strange times at the moment... media drive enclosures were all the rage in the past few years, but the upcoming "ouya" console looks to turn that market on its head and HTPCs running XBMC seem to be the rage at the moment.
    My personal setup in the livingroom is an old dell GX620 desktop sitting under our tv (dell got for €20 on donedeal) with a HDMI card out (€40 on amazon) running XBMC which displays all our media with covers/artwork etc. Really cool and slick interface and remote controlled (remote €14 on ebay)... and its all cheap to setup and only took about a weekend or two to get all setup.

Check out XBMC.org for the free software... and to see what its like up and running just search XBMC on youtube.

Hope that all helps.

Advertisement