Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of training a U20

Options
  • 07-05-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody

I just did some rough calcs on how much it costs to train an U20 from 17 to 20 years old and am really shocked at the costs!!

couple of assumptions first
    Lvl 5 Facilities 80K a season
    Lvl 5 coaches 11,250
    17 yo wages 8k
    18 yo wages 10k
    19 yo wages 12K
    20 yo wages 14K

Using lvl5 facilites the trainee will use 10 of 30 available slots.
    Cost = 10/30*80000*4*16=1,706,666.67

Coaches- max 10 sessions a week
    Cost= 10*(11250+4/6*11250)*16*4=1,200,000

Wages
    17 yo 8K*16 = 128K
    18 yo 10K*16= 160K
    19 yo 12K*16= 192K
    20 yo 14K*16=224K
    Total for wages=704K

So total cost of training a 17 year old for 4 season is then approx 3.61m !!!

For level 4 costs are then 2.9m

I'm stunned after doing those calcs. Looking at TMs you would be doing well to recoup the 2.9m for a 20/21 year old player.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Imagine the cost of training guys on 10 sessions and they are in their late 20's.... Training a senior NT player is probably the biggest handbrake on a Clubs development

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Wow, that's scary money when you lay it all out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

daheff wrote: »

I may just be having a thick moment here. But how is the quoted part worked out? Does the part (11250+4/6*11250) not cover the 10 sessions a week (trainer wages at 11250 giving 6 sessions) meaning you shouldn't multiply by 10? Which reduces costs to nearer 2.5m (still very expensive and in most cases not fully recoverable).

Also to keep squad numbers up if I didn't have trainees I would have another player in his place so the wages is a bit of a wash there for me in looking at training costs (I do realise some managers have a larger squad to accommodate trainees but I don't to keep costs lower for my team)

Either way, while it may not make financial sense I do like training up my own players and seeing them progress. And I am giving a go at my first full NT trainee now which as Phonehead says is an even bigger money sink!

Overall, I agree the costs are shocking though when you see them laid out like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

mar-z wrote: »
    I may just be having a thick moment here. But how is the quoted part worked out? Does the part (11250+4/6*11250) not cover the 10 sessions a week (trainer wages at 11250 giving 6 sessions) meaning you shouldn't multiply by 10? Which reduces costs to nearer 2.5m (still very expensive and in most cases not fully recoverable).

Also to keep squad numbers up if I didn't have trainees I would have another player in his place so the wages is a bit of a wash there for me in looking at training costs (I do realise some managers have a larger squad to accommodate trainees but I don't to keep costs lower for my team)

Either way, while it may not make financial sense I do like training up my own players and seeing them progress. And I am giving a go at my first full NT trainee now which as Phonehead says is an even bigger money sink!

Overall, I agree the costs are shocking though when you see them laid out like that!

My bad.. that should have read 10 sessions- 11250+(11250*4/6)*16*4...1.2m so no change there

I appreciate teams running only 22 wouldnt have the extra salary costs...but only to some degree. As players improve salaries increase so does salary for the player...so i suppose really i should ignore first 5k of salary per week? Anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

My bad.. that should have read 10 sessions- 11250+(11250*4/6)*16*4...1.2m so no change there

I appreciate teams running only 22 wouldnt have the extra salary costs...but only to some degree. As players improve salaries increase so does salary for the player...so i suppose really i should ignore first 5k of salary per week? Anybody

Ah fair enough, I didn't multiply it out myself just saw that the equation looked a little off.

As for the salary, I would say leave it as you have it as there would only be small changes to the overall total as it is anyway. And to think it was more expensive a few seasons back before they reduced the facility costs!:eek:

It really does show that you could probably put together a strong enough team if you ignore training and only spend on players (i.e. the Greyhound model). Still not for me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

While it is costly to train players, I have wasted an awful lot of money on the TM too, bought players for a reasonable price, but never ended up training them up, and now they're just not good enough, and a bit too old to be worth training. Whereas any player I've trained properly is now a core member of my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Zagato wrote: »
    While it is costly to train players, I have wasted an awful lot of money on the TM too, bought players for a reasonable price, but never ended up training them up, and now they're just not good enough, and a bit too old to be worth training. Whereas any player I've trained properly is now a core member of my team.

This. you train a player for u20 MAINLY for your team IMO at a certain point, you are training the youngsters to the level required at U20 anyway so why not have them for country?

I am training up players, they are available to their respective countries u20 but if they don't get selected I have improved my team. I am cycling through positions and training away.

to buy on TM requires millions for the standard or watching continually for a bargain, that in itself is a cost to me. the regular weekly cost is easier to manage and finance

that's how i look, yes it is expensive but you gain a valuable team player, also when they are young and not 1st XV ready, they can play in early cup rounds etc to save team energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i dunno...i reckon i'll be cutting my youth training as soon as the current batch are done.

that kinda cash allows me to compete for big time players in the TM.

anyways, the time to train up a player to be competitive for first XV is getting longer and longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

i dunno...i reckon i'll be cutting my youth training as soon as the current batch are done.

that kinda cash allows me to compete for big time players in the TM.

anyways, the time to train up a player to be competitive for first XV is getting longer and longer now.

This is probably true, but for me at the moment, they are first choice on my squad once about a season and a half out of the academy, so I think it's still worth it, maybe in a couple of seasons it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hey everybody

I just did some rough calcs on how much it costs to train an U20 from 17 to 20 years old and am really shocked at the costs!!

couple of assumptions first
    Lvl 5 Facilities 80K a season
    Lvl 5 coaches 11,250
    17 yo wages 8k
    18 yo wages 10k
    19 yo wages 12K
    20 yo wages 14K

Using lvl5 facilites the trainee will use 10 of 30 available slots.
    Cost = 10/30*80000*4*16=1,706,666.67

Wages
    17 yo 8K*16 = 128K
    18 yo 10K*16= 160K
    19 yo 12K*16= 192K
    20 yo 14K*16=224K
    Total for wages=704K

So total cost of training a 17 year old for 4 season is then approx 3.61m !!!

For level 4 costs are then 2.9m

I'm stunned after doing those calcs. Looking at TMs you would be doing well to recoup the 2.9m for a 20/21 year old player.

Just looked at my figures for Cian O'Keane. The total cost of his individual sessions (all 614 of them, 549 of them L4 or L5)was $930,833.

In that time he also received 248 L3 team sessions. I'm not sure if its fair to count these as a true training cost, given that I would have been team training anyway.

Ditto his wages, I actually reduced my squad size with O'Keane because I always played him regardless of form/energy so I needed 1 less player to rotate in my squad.

For that money though, I have gotten a prop with >150k CSR age 21 that will be in my team for years to come. It's also worth noting, he is trained exactly the way I want him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

ya i worked it out 2 seasons ago when i was training lock that i was planning on training as he wasnt going to mke the u20s, sold him at 19 for 2mill when i worked out he cost to train and buy for 1.2mill. reckon the best way to make money by training from 17 for 1 or 2 seasons max because after that you will majority of the time youll make a loss or just break even. but in imo its better to have your own home grown guys in the u20s and eventually in the nats.

in the end this game is a bit of fun so might as well make the best players

Advertisement